Darkness

Talk about anything that is not relevant to the boards below.
Andy123

February 17th, 2018, 10:37 am

Petedav wrote:
February 16th, 2018, 2:03 pm
I use darkness for the sprint/middle birds but not the distance as I have been told that distance birds are better off moulting naturally
Do you keep your sprint/middle distance youngsters in a separate section from your potential distance youngsters then Pete?
Petedav

February 17th, 2018, 11:00 am

Andy123 wrote:
Petedav wrote:
I use darkness for the sprint/middle birds but not the distance as I have been told that distance birds are better off moulting naturally
Do you keep your sprint/middle distance youngsters in a separate section from your potential distance youngsters then Pete?
No with being short of space I don't normally breed my distance birds until April/ may and just send them to the last few come back races so once the distance birds have been weened I put them with all the other y/bs through the day for flying out but have them in either baskets at night or in the o/b loft until darkness is finished.
Andy123

February 17th, 2018, 11:24 am

PVDMR wrote:
February 17th, 2018, 10:33 am
Andy123 wrote:
February 16th, 2018, 10:18 pm
A good informative post Stu. Do you lads that have used darkness think that it just benefits if wanting to win young bird races. I know Dev reckons his yearlings seem more like 2-3 year olds.
Definitely,in the later races,as all the natural pigeons,start to fall to bits
Also mentioned to me that my youngsters look like Yearlings.

Have a nice day!
I do agree Stu that they do look a lot more mature come the end of the season, but is that just due to the feathering. To a degree you are actually holding them back from maturing as they don't go through the flights while racing. Mine did look tatty in the body compared to the darkness youngsters but although they were up on their 3rd or 4th last flights and probably only had 9, 9.5 flights these flights were wider than on the darkness birds still carrying their nest flights.
Please don't think I'm looking to knock the system in any way and having never tried it I am not in a position to argue for or against, just interested in other members views and pointing out my own observations. Also think it could be useful for other members to see how it works.
When your breeding early Stu, (I don't know whether you bred any earlier with the rings being issued earlier), do you wait until the day lengths naturally become longer than 8 hours before putting them onto the darkness.
Andy123

February 17th, 2018, 11:25 am

Petedav wrote:
February 17th, 2018, 11:00 am
Andy123 wrote:
Petedav wrote:
No with being short of space I don't normally breed my distance birds until April/ may and just send them to the last few come back races so once the distance birds have been weened I put them with all the other y/bs through the day for flying out but have them in either baskets at night or in the o/b loft until darkness is finished.
Thanks Pete just interested to know how you work the system.
PVDMR

February 17th, 2018, 11:59 am

Previous years paired up middle of November,,not so this year Boxing Day,hatch rate was 96% more or less the same from the previous year.
At this moment in time having a coffee...followed by.. into the youngbird loft already cleaned out apart from limeing the floor,
Susan my wife is calling to get a sack of shavings,on her way back from shopping. ( bedding for the youngsters )
Later on they will be in thank God :)
Most of my 2nd rounders are going to mates to try out,but I'm keeping most of the new Hermans.
As for the darkness,they will go on it around the end of February,when the 2nd round are ready to be introduced they will be on the dark straight away.
Some of my friends differ,after all We all agree to disagree :lol:

Atb
Andy123

February 17th, 2018, 12:36 pm

Thanks Stu, and I agree that we will never all agree and I'm glad that we don't as there are so many different ways to succeed in this great sport. If there was just one way it wouldn't be any fun.
PVDMR

February 17th, 2018, 1:24 pm

Andy123 wrote:
February 17th, 2018, 12:36 pm
Thanks Stu, and I agree that we will never all agree and I'm glad that we don't as there are so many different ways to succeed in this great sport. If there was just one way it wouldn't be any fun.
Well I'm about done now,awaiting my delivery of shavings,and fish & chips :lol:
Oiled hinges,door sliders etc,washed out youngsters feeders/drinkers.
Oh aye those plastic training crates on EBay,are at Leeds,its buyers to collect Only
Sent her a message yesterday,today she messaged back saying she would deliver for a price!
I'm only after one crate,thought I'd pass it on ;)
isaacs

February 18th, 2018, 8:45 pm

I don't do darkness and have no intention of doing it at present as I like to keep things as natural as possible and I'm not sure the messing about with daylight hours would benefit my personal fancier/racing goals at the moment, although it may do in the future.
If you want to win yb races though then I'd presume darkness is worth doing as it obviously gives YB's a short term physical edge against the moulting yb during racing season.

For me however YB racing is just about getting the young birds experience sending them to a few races up until I reach a decent distance, the furthest yb distance race point for me is just the 3rd or 4th race into my yb racing schedule so after that I then call it a day with the racing and let them finish the moult in peace.

I cannot speak about other people's birds, but I do not believe that interfering with the moult using darkness will alter your birds longterm physical growth and it's potential, i certainly think it would not benefit your birds in the long-term nor will it have a negative effect.

A bird on darkness will obviously look, feel and most likely perform better in terms of physical aspect because it's not suffering the moult, but the yb will at some point need to eventually moult and when they do the other ybs who were not on darkness (natural) birds who have already finished or are further on in the moult will then physically catch up by the time old bird racing starts the following year.
All our yearlings will all mature the same having all long gone through the moult being raced as a YB on darkness or not and come April when old bird racing starts last year's YB darkness or not darkness will be irrelevant.
YB darkness just gives you're ybs a short term physical edge during yb racing season which is good if winning YB races is important to you but no longterm benefit to the bird.
buster121

February 18th, 2018, 9:24 pm

Just breed later no need for darkness then, remember the saying birds bred April/May go all the way

Return to “Chat Racing Pigeon”