Next seasons goals

Talk about anything that is not relevant to the boards below.
User avatar
Andy123
Posts: 4843
Joined: October 15th, 2016, 8:15 pm
Location: Wincanton, Somerset
Gender: Male - Male

December 6th, 2017, 8:45 pm

What are your goals for next year?
How far are you planning on sending too?
How many old birds are you going to be racing and on what system?
How many youngsters are you planning on breeding?

I’m not aiming too high next year, but looking forward to a challenging season with some class competition. As my team are only yearlings I won’t be sending past 400 miles. But I do want to push them fairly hard to sort out the good from the not so good.
I’ve got an old bird race team of 24 that will be raced natural.
I’m looking at breeding a young bird team of 30.
At the end of next season I’m hoping to move my loft and increase the size a bit. So during the summer I will be doing all the ground work and a bit of building work to get everything ready.
User avatar
trench
Posts: 4982
Joined: October 30th, 2016, 9:55 pm
Location: West sussex
Gender: Male - Male

December 6th, 2017, 9:39 pm

Good luck with it Andy, I hope it's a good year for you bruv.
My season will depend on how well I get on with the loft and work commitments. Working on the farm I should be able to make the early old bird races but once hay making and harvest start its anyone's guess which races I will be able to send to.
I have 3 two year olds and 14 yearlings which I hope will all get some racing this year.
As none of my birds have been raced yet and I am in the process of building a team I won't be aiming too high. I will be racing natural although I only have 6 hens and 11 cocks so the jealousy system may play a big part :lol: I don't know what our programme is yet so can't say what my goals are. I would like most of the birds to go across the water at least once but won't be pushing them beyond 300miles.
I hope to breed about 20 youngsters which will hopefully get some racing in up to around the 200mile mark, this will depend mostly on work. I am not too worried if the youngsters don't get raced as long as I can get some training in.
Best wishes to you all in 2018.
User avatar
devo56
Posts: 5454
Joined: January 3rd, 2016, 11:12 am
Gender: Male - Male

December 7th, 2017, 7:57 am

The plan of action for next year, is already in progress. My first aim is to keep myself fit and healthy, in order to do my birds justice. I am pleased to say i feel i am on the right right track, in the breeding part of the program. My aim is to breed quality middle distance birds to compete at the distance of up to 440 miles. In order to do this i am breeding from my Harry / Rudy lines of Jan Hooyman and Gaby Vandenabeele. I am also bringing in 18 Sprint youngsters in to race up to the distance of 200 miles. The aim is to build 2 teams of birds for inland racing and channel racing. Flying in the Liverpool Amal and the North West Combine, I know i need to have the tools in the box to compete at such a high level of racing. I am looking to buy some Gold rings for some of the youngsters, that will be for a race in September at a distance of 194 miles, with a 20 grand prize fund. At present CBDL and myself have a couple of birds in SAMDPR, It is a race i have wanted to enter for a long time, even when i was out of the sport. I would sit and think it must be great to enter a comp like that, racing against the worlds best. Well we are in it and we would like to win it. I feel Competition brings out the best in yourself, and its good if you can have the tools to play at any level. The most important part of the sport, enjoy it and make sure your birds also enjoy what they do. So i am looking to try the roundabout System, that way i can race my hens.

Just like to thank Rich / Bryn for breeding me 6 youngsters from his Sprinters, to race alongside 12 youngsters from Belgium, and my own bred youngsters.
CDBL
Posts: 1001
Joined: January 8th, 2017, 9:12 pm
Gender: Male - Male
Contact:

December 7th, 2017, 1:10 pm

Well as with all. I would like to keep healthy. Next year is the start of building for 2019 for me.... I have my long distance blood lines Ko Van Dommelen and Freialdenhofen and am looking to cross middle distance hen into my freialdenhofen cock then a middle distance cock into the Ko vn Dommelen hen. Then I will cross the children for fybd 2019... I think in years rather than a year, as am sure most do in this sport.

I am thankful to have made good friends in the sport over the last year. And have had generous offers of birds to cross. Which has really helped me out of my one hen three cocks situation... lol.

I have also put a small deposit on a couple of young bird Staf Van Reets and will be entering 6 young birds from three totally different pairings to next year's fybd. The only one I will be entering after self imposed financial fair play... for those that like their football.... or to save some of my money and move out of my parents house for all of our sanity for those that don't follow footy.

I would just like to close with a thank you. To everyone in the forum who has followed my progress and given advice and support. It's been a tough year. Started well but with anaemia and depression etc things have got tougher as I went on. But I never lost the enthusiasm for the birds and tried to pop on when I could, always getting a warm welcome. :-) so thank you everyone!
Partnership site: http://www.dever-lloyd.com
User avatar
Andy123
Posts: 4843
Joined: October 15th, 2016, 8:15 pm
Location: Wincanton, Somerset
Gender: Male - Male

December 7th, 2017, 1:52 pm

It's been good hearing your exploits through out the year Chris. As you say we are always planning ahead. Hope you can continue to enjoy both the pigeons and this forum in the future. Atb for 2018
User avatar
trench
Posts: 4982
Joined: October 30th, 2016, 9:55 pm
Location: West sussex
Gender: Male - Male

December 7th, 2017, 7:21 pm

devo56 wrote:
December 7th, 2017, 7:57 am
The plan of action for next year, is already in progress. My first aim is to keep myself fit and healthy, in order to do my birds justice. I am pleased to say i feel i am on the right right track, in the breeding part of the program. My aim is to breed quality middle distance birds to compete at the distance of up to 440 miles. In order to do this i am breeding from my Harry / Rudy lines of Jan Hooyman and Gaby Vandenabeele. I am also bringing in 18 Sprint youngsters in to race up to the distance of 200 miles. The aim is to build 2 teams of birds for inland racing and channel racing. Flying in the Liverpool Amal and the North West Combine, I know i need to have the tools in the box to compete at such a high level of racing. I am looking to buy some Gold rings for some of the youngsters, that will be for a race in September at a distance of 194 miles, with a 20 grand prize fund. At present CBDL and myself have a couple of birds in SAMDPR, It is a race i have wanted to enter for a long time, even when i was out of the sport. I would sit and think it must be great to enter a comp like that, racing against the worlds best. Well we are in it and we would like to win it. I feel Competition brings out the best in yourself, and its good if you can have the tools to play at any level. The most important part of the sport, enjoy it and make sure your birds also enjoy what they do. So i am looking to try the roundabout System, that way i can race my hens.

Just like to thank Rich / Bryn for breeding me 6 youngsters from his Sprinters, to race alongside 12 youngsters from Belgium, and my own bred youngsters.
It's important to have a plan Dev and it sounds like you have a sound one. You have certainly invested a lot of time and money into your birds and deserve some success.
Glad your health is good and I hope it stays that way mate.
Good luck and best wishes for the new season I hope it all goes well for you, look forward to hearing how it all goes.
Best wishes.
User avatar
trench
Posts: 4982
Joined: October 30th, 2016, 9:55 pm
Location: West sussex
Gender: Male - Male

December 7th, 2017, 7:29 pm

CDBL wrote:
December 7th, 2017, 1:10 pm
Well as with all. I would like to keep healthy. Next year is the start of building for 2019 for me.... I have my long distance blood lines Ko Van Dommelen and Freialdenhofen and am looking to cross middle distance hen into my freialdenhofen cock then a middle distance cock into the Ko vn Dommelen hen. Then I will cross the children for fybd 2019... I think in years rather than a year, as am sure most do in this sport.

I am thankful to have made good friends in the sport over the last year. And have had generous offers of birds to cross. Which has really helped me out of my one hen three cocks situation... lol.

I have also put a small deposit on a couple of young bird Staf Van Reets and will be entering 6 young birds from three totally different pairings to next year's fybd. The only one I will be entering after self imposed financial fair play... for those that like their football.... or to save some of my money and move out of my parents house for all of our sanity for those that don't follow footy.

I would just like to close with a thank you. To everyone in the forum who has followed my progress and given advice and support. It's been a tough year. Started well but with anaemia and depression etc things have got tougher as I went on. But I never lost the enthusiasm for the birds and tried to pop on when I could, always getting a warm welcome. :-) so thank you everyone!
As Andy has said Chris it's been a pleasure sharing your journey with you and giving support and advice where we can. I hope your health improves and you manage to get your own place in the near future. Good luck with your future plans, as you said aiming for the long distance takes a little longer so be patient and keep plugging away.
As always we look forwards to following your progress in 2018 & onwards, good luck mate.
User avatar
isaacs
Posts: 863
Joined: July 31st, 2016, 11:50 am
Gender: Male - Male

December 7th, 2017, 7:36 pm

Good thread Andy its interesting to see what goals other members are aiming for next year.

My goals :-
Next year will only be my 2nd season and my ybs did me very proud last year, but now as they are near on yearlings i will be testing them with bigger challenges with races up to 376 miles and across the water.

My aim this year is to continue developing a team that can become a reliable basis of my loft for the future.
The ones that do make it through this year will have done well and proven themselves.... I hope some do make it through!.

Regarding prizes I got club cards in every YB race I entered last year 2nds and 3rds, but i didn't get a 1st!, so will be nice to get a 1st club at some point this year.
In years to come my goals and aims will higher but I prefer to take things a step at a time with continued steady improvements year on year.
Eventually In years to come i will want to send to classics, nationals and bicc races etc, but I am where I am at the moment....a self confessed newbie :D

Good luck to everyone I hope we achieve our goals and please everyone good or bad keep us all updated you know I will :D
ATB
CDBL
Posts: 1001
Joined: January 8th, 2017, 9:12 pm
Gender: Male - Male
Contact:

December 7th, 2017, 7:53 pm

Thanks chaps. Best of luck to all on the forum in their exploits next year. All here to share the joys of the sport!

Isaacs! That sounds like a plan mate. Sometimes trying to run ahead is my downfall.
Partnership site: http://www.dever-lloyd.com
User avatar
trench
Posts: 4982
Joined: October 30th, 2016, 9:55 pm
Location: West sussex
Gender: Male - Male

December 7th, 2017, 8:49 pm

isaacs wrote:
December 7th, 2017, 7:36 pm
Good thread Andy its interesting to see what goals other members are aiming for next year.

My goals :-
Next year will only be my 2nd season and my ybs did me very proud last year, but now as they are near on yearlings i will be testing them with bigger challenges with races up to 376 miles and across the water.

My aim this year is to continue developing a team that can become a reliable basis of my loft for the future.
The ones that do make it through this year will have done well and proven themselves.... I hope some do make it through!.

Regarding prizes I got club cards in every YB race I entered last year 2nds and 3rds, but i didn't get a 1st!, so will be nice to get a 1st club at some point this year.
In years to come my goals and aims will higher but I prefer to take things a step at a time with continued steady improvements year on year.
Eventually In years to come i will want to send to classics, nationals and bicc races etc, but I am where I am at the moment....a self confessed newbie :D

Good luck to everyone I hope we achieve our goals and please everyone good or bad keep us all updated you know I will :D
ATB
You are spot on Isaacs, set yourself goals but be patient it's a slow process but remember it should be an enjoyable one. You have a good team of yearlings that do need testing but don't take unnecessary risks to get that 1st. Hopefully you will get that first but you are in it for the long hall so no rush. Keep building that team and experience and you will get there. My advice for what it's worth is if you get a bird that shows real promise don't throw it away chasing glory, use it to build for the future.
Good luck mate.
Post Reply

Return to “Chat Racing Pigeon”