Long distance is for those with patience, perhaps not...

Talk about anything todo with entertainment here.
User avatar
devo56
Posts: 7492
Joined: January 3rd, 2016, 11:12 am
Gender: Male - Male

August 19th, 2019, 10:01 am

My own thoughts you have to have the right tools in the box, from sprint to long distance you can only work with what you have got. But over the last couple of years I have thought you need the proven tools to do the damage.
User avatar
trench
Posts: 8248
Joined: October 30th, 2016, 9:55 pm
Location: West sussex
Gender: Male - Male

August 19th, 2019, 7:45 pm

Although my comment about the steady plodder was meant to be lighthearted in a way I do still stand by the remark. I agree with Devo that you do need proven stock to compete whether it be sprint, middle or long distance, at each level the athletes concerned need different traits. One difference between race horses and people is that the Jockey knows how far the race is as does the athlete whereas the humble pigeon when leaving the basket has no idea how far away home is. If the race is relatively easy then most good pigeons fast or slow will make it eventually and in this case yes you want the fast bird with plenty of stamina. Now I can't speak for conditions in other countries and on other continents but over here it is very rare to get a blow home in the distance races so most speed pigeons will burn themselves out in no time as how can they pace themselves if they don't know how long for.
You only need to look at the majority of long distance race results in this country to see that on most occasions its the experienced older pigeons who make it into the result, not their younger and faster rivals. Its stamina, wisdom and the love of home they need in most instances more than just speed.
A slightly different comparison is my experience playing several different sports including football, rugby and water polo. In each of these I have encountered players who with the want of a better phrase are to all intense and purpose passed their sell by date but in their day were exceptional athletes. Now when playing although they had lost their fitness and pace they could still run rings round the cocky youngsters as their sporting brain was one step ahead and they knew what the opponent was going to do before they did πŸ˜€
Just my opinion guys πŸ‘πŸ˜€
User avatar
Muzza
Posts: 583
Joined: April 30th, 2019, 8:56 am
Location: Bendigo Australia
Gender: Male - Male

August 19th, 2019, 9:22 pm

And very valid and well put, too. :D

It is good to be able to have a discussion without becoming aggressive about it.
Regards,

Murray
User avatar
trench
Posts: 8248
Joined: October 30th, 2016, 9:55 pm
Location: West sussex
Gender: Male - Male

August 19th, 2019, 9:47 pm

Muzza wrote: ↑
August 19th, 2019, 9:22 pm
And very valid and well put, too. :D

It is good to be able to have a discussion without becoming aggressive about it.
Life is far too short for that Muzza my friend :D
We all have different views and opinions all of them worth listening too, it's good to hear how others think as we never know when we might just learn something πŸ‘
I've been around pigeons all my 53 years and I have to be honest I am still learning and my friends on here are helping me all the way.
User avatar
killer
Posts: 11808
Joined: February 6th, 2012, 1:56 am
Location: Wollongong Australia
Gender: None specified - None specified

August 20th, 2019, 1:11 am

There are two types of Distance birds ; The Stayers & the Get home at all costs type ; i'm trying to eliminate the Stayers as all they do is stay at the point & don't come home lol cheers
User avatar
Muzza
Posts: 583
Joined: April 30th, 2019, 8:56 am
Location: Bendigo Australia
Gender: Male - Male

August 20th, 2019, 8:31 am

killer wrote: ↑
August 20th, 2019, 1:11 am
There are two types of Distance birds ; The Stayers & the Get home at all costs type ; i'm trying to eliminate the Stayers as all they do is stay at the point & don't come home lol cheers
Very good, killer! :D :lol:

I really don't care, distance racing doesn't interest me very much.

I would happily race every week from 100 or 150 or 200 miles with widowhood cocks. :D :D :D

But everyone has their own aims in the sport, which makes the game more interesting. I like to go on PIPA and see who has excelled in the big national and international races.

I just wouldn't be doing it myself.
Regards,

Murray
User avatar
trench
Posts: 8248
Joined: October 30th, 2016, 9:55 pm
Location: West sussex
Gender: Male - Male

August 20th, 2019, 8:08 pm

killer wrote: ↑
August 20th, 2019, 1:11 am
There are two types of Distance birds ; The Stayers & the Get home at all costs type ; i'm trying to eliminate the Stayers as all they do is stay at the point & don't come home lol cheers
:lol: :lol:
User avatar
Andy123
Posts: 8091
Joined: October 15th, 2016, 8:15 pm
Location: Wincanton, Somerset
Gender: Male - Male

August 20th, 2019, 8:52 pm

Muzza wrote: ↑
August 20th, 2019, 8:31 am
killer wrote: ↑
August 20th, 2019, 1:11 am
There are two types of Distance birds ; The Stayers & the Get home at all costs type ; i'm trying to eliminate the Stayers as all they do is stay at the point & don't come home lol cheers
Very good, killer! :D :lol:

I really don't care, distance racing doesn't interest me very much.

I would happily race every week from 100 or 150 or 200 miles with widowhood cocks. :D :D :D

But everyone has their own aims in the sport, which makes the game more interesting. I like to go on PIPA and see who has excelled in the big national and international races.

I just wouldn't be doing it myself.
I used to be like that Muzza. Since starting back though I decided that I was going to concentrate on the long distance. Although a lot of waiting it’s great when after many hours on the wing to see one drop. We can only imagine what they have gone through to get home. I do want birds that can do it in good time and not ones that turn up days or weeks later.
User avatar
trench
Posts: 8248
Joined: October 30th, 2016, 9:55 pm
Location: West sussex
Gender: Male - Male

August 20th, 2019, 9:23 pm

Andy123 wrote: ↑
August 20th, 2019, 8:52 pm
Muzza wrote: ↑
August 20th, 2019, 8:31 am
killer wrote: ↑
August 20th, 2019, 1:11 am
There are two types of Distance birds ; The Stayers & the Get home at all costs type ; i'm trying to eliminate the Stayers as all they do is stay at the point & don't come home lol cheers
Very good, killer! :D :lol:

I really don't care, distance racing doesn't interest me very much.

I would happily race every week from 100 or 150 or 200 miles with widowhood cocks. :D :D :D

But everyone has their own aims in the sport, which makes the game more interesting. I like to go on PIPA and see who has excelled in the big national and international races.

I just wouldn't be doing it myself.
I used to be like that Muzza. Since starting back though I decided that I was going to concentrate on the long distance. Although a lot of waiting it’s great when after many hours on the wing to see one drop. We can only imagine what they have gone through to get home. I do want birds that can do it in good time and not ones that turn up days or weeks later.
I have done the opposite, distance racing used to be my thing but since having the birds back again I am enjoying the shorter races. I haven't really got any goals at the moment and my system certainly won't compete with the big guns in sprint racing. My foundation of birds are mostly distance birds but I did get some shorter distance pigeons last year who's offspring are certainly coming well this youngbird season. For now I am just enjoying being back in the sport and will just see where it takes me.
Post Reply

Return to β€œEntertainment”