Aussie long Distance pigeons

Talk about anything here.
trench

January 5th, 2020, 7:28 pm

A very interesting topic this one, it's been great reading about other ways of racing especially from our friends across the pond 👍🤠
I have always liked to get my youngsters up to around 200miles, yearlings 350-400miles and from then on they are ready to go the distance. As I have said before unfortunately the fed I race in only goes around 150miles inland with youngsters and our longest race is only just over 400 miles with only about 4 races across the water so I have had to accept for now that this is my lot and race accordingly. As many of you know my original birds are distance birds given to me by Andy123 and most of my other birds were gifted to me by our friend and former club mate Des Coulter so all are from a proven distance lines. To try and compete over the shorter distances I have introduced some middle distance birds from the late Crammond and Langstaff loft and Brasspennings from another club member.
Up until now I have only raced any distance on the North road flying from Thurso and Lerwick in Scotland to Worthing on the south coast so Channel racing is a completely new entity for me so to add to the topic of racing distance birds successfully across the channel I will share with you advice I have been given by Des. He would train his youngsters hard in most weathers (he would avoid cold easterly winds) and from any direction starting from short distances at a very early age and building the distance steadily, he would also make sure his youngsters had plenty of single up training before they were expected to race. His youngsters would then have a few inland races before they went across the channel once they had been across the channel most of them wouldn't go inland again, having said that he did have a few seasons when he successfully raced both North and South getting 2 birds on the day out of Lerwick 650miles. He would still continue training his birds (old and young alike) even through the winter months again from all directions. His yearlings would usually be pushed up to around the 400 mile mark across the Channel with the odd ones going further but none of them would be thrashed. Once his birds had the experience they needed he would have no qualms with giving them just a few light trainers and sticking them into 600/700miles as their only race, infact his San Sebastian winner had only had one trainer from Hove (around 15miles) on the morning of basketing. The one thing that did surprise me with Des is that once he had a winner from those races/distances the bird went in the stock loft and wasn't raced again whereas many of us want that bird to go back year after year but I suppose once you have a proven team with other birds ready to take up the mantle why would you need to risk losing a champion!!!
trench

January 5th, 2020, 7:42 pm

killer wrote:
January 3rd, 2020, 11:19 pm
in reply to Andy’s question ,we here in Aussie race a bout the same time of the year as you Guys ,middle of May until early Oct , but in saying that it’s our Winter Months compeared to your Summer Months ,i pair up here middle of oct ,most start pairing up over here July & Aug ,I like our Distance Babies a little later ,start to ring 1st round middle of Dec ,I find these with our Jan babies fly the best for us Now the Magor problem with racing that time of the year ,compared To over there is the Day light hours ,it’s pitch black dark at 6pm ,compared to over there 10 or 11 pm ,so less time to get home. On the day of liberation ,the last 700 mile race we had the birds came in to Sydney ,we are 60 mile South of there & we finished into A S/W wind ,the 3 leading birds were clocked in the Dark 1st bird at 7pm 12:1/2 hrs on wing 2nd bird 8 pm 13:1/2hrs & the 3rd bird at 10 pm 15:1/2 on the wing ,the next lot came through just before 6:30 & just after 6: 30 next morn hoping I answered your question ,the race was on the 7th of Sept , cheers
Those were some birds especially those flying for 2 and 4hrs in darkness, the ones clocked early next morning must have flown a few hours in darkness as well, I can see birds would keep going if they knew the were only a few miles from home but these birds must have still been a fair way off !!! Do you have an hours of darkness rule over there mate ??? We have an hours of darkness rule that means if a bird arrives after the darkness cut off it can't be clocked until first light the following morning. I have had birds arrive in near darkness having flown 10hrs or more just inside the darkness cut off time.
killer

January 5th, 2020, 10:53 pm

yep we have a rule on darkness ,1/2 hr after dark ,1/2 hr before sunrise rule which is dead time ,If you clock after dark ,clock is read on to clocking time ,bird on the day or night can not be beaten , that’s ok if you all live in the same area, but if you live 100 miles apart ,I think it favours the shortest marker ?? , I think to over come this the clock on the night be read , then dead time from then on ,to give the Fanciers a chance further on down the track ,cheers
trench

January 6th, 2020, 7:33 pm

killer wrote:
January 5th, 2020, 10:53 pm
yep we have a rule on darkness ,1/2 hr after dark ,1/2 hr before sunrise rule which is dead time ,If you clock after dark ,clock is read on to clocking time ,bird on the day or night can not be beaten , that’s ok if you all live in the same area, but if you live 100 miles apart ,I think it favours the shortest marker ?? , I think to over come this the clock on the night be read , then dead time from then on ,to give the Fanciers a chance further on down the track ,cheers
I agree mate, especially these days and with the modern clocking systems. The hours of darkness have always been a bone of contention and probably should be looked at.
killer

January 6th, 2020, 11:08 pm

my idea is if a bird can get home into your Area ,its the Winner ,no problems with that , but if birds are racing to a longer area ,say 20 or 100 miles further on ,they have no chance of beating the short marker ,with a Day bird , so why not work out the Velosity on that bird ,up until it’s clocking time ,then work out dead time from 1/2 hr after until 1/2 before Sun Rise .then ,start the time next day ,I believe this would be a fairer method for the Guys on the Long end of the race’s ! Cheers
trench

January 7th, 2020, 7:38 pm

killer wrote:
January 6th, 2020, 11:08 pm
my idea is if a bird can get home into your Area ,its the Winner ,no problems with that , but if birds are racing to a longer area ,say 20 or 100 miles further on ,they have no chance of beating the short marker ,with a Day bird , so why not work out the Velosity on that bird ,up until it’s clocking time ,then work out dead time from 1/2 hr after until 1/2 before Sun Rise .then ,start the time next day ,I believe this would be a fairer method for the Guys on the Long end of the race’s ! Cheers
Quite agree Killer.
The other thing they did over hear in some of the bigger organisations (not sure if they still do but someone will put me right 👍) is mid day liberations so no birds could make it home before night fall.
killer

January 7th, 2020, 10:07 pm

yep I heard about mid day liberations , I’m not a fan of them ,depends where they are when they hit darkness , most will go down & May get hurt in doing so ,some will go & damage there selves or kill them selves ,cheers
Andy123

January 7th, 2020, 10:25 pm

Always going to be a bone of contention. I don’t like midday libs either. The NFC do try to liberate early afternoon from their longest race which is 500 mls to the South Coast. This is to ensure that know birds hit the French Coast before dark. I know the further flyers prefer this to a degree as there is no way that they can get day birds. But I do agree that the hours of darkness aren’t ideal. It certainly isn’t for us in the internationals. Our birds would stop short of the Channel, where as the Dutch birds flying overland would continue flying much longer.
killer

January 9th, 2020, 7:41 am

Thanks for your insite mate ,
killer

January 11th, 2020, 12:44 am

Any other questions guys ?

Return to “Chit Chat”