Aussie long Distance pigeons

Talk about anything here.
Muzza

January 3rd, 2020, 11:57 pm

I am not very interested in distance racing anyway, so it's not important, but with a very small team of pigeons I would struggle to compete.

The long races flown by the local clubs frequently have disappointing returns. I suspect there are a few reasons. With my handful of pigeons, I would not last long trying the very long races.

They have to be lucky as well as tough to make it around here.
Regards,

Murray
Andy123

January 4th, 2020, 5:37 pm

killer wrote:
January 3rd, 2020, 11:19 pm
in reply to Andy’s question ,we here in Aussie race a bout the same time of the year as you Guys ,middle of May until early Oct , but in saying that it’s our Winter Months compeared to your Summer Months ,i pair up here middle of oct ,most start pairing up over here July & Aug ,I like our Distance Babies a little later ,start to ring 1st round middle of Dec ,I find these with our Jan babies fly the best for us Now the Magor problem with racing that time of the year ,compared To over there is the Day light hours ,it’s pitch black dark at 6pm ,compared to over there 10 or 11 pm ,so less time to get home. On the day of liberation ,the last 700 mile race we had the birds came in to Sydney ,we are 60 mile South of there & we finished into A S/W wind ,the 3 leading birds were clocked in the Dark 1st bird at 7pm 12:1/2 hrs on wing 2nd bird 8 pm 13:1/2hrs & the 3rd bird at 10 pm 15:1/2 on the wing ,the next lot came through just before 6:30 & just after 6: 30 next morn hoping I answered your question ,the race was on the 7th of Sept , cheers
That would make a big difference in the amount of flying they can do on the day with your daylight hours.
With your youngsters that are rung in December, and others breeding earlier than you, I presume they have 2019 rings on. When are your 2020 rings released? Over here it is getting ridiculous. 2020 rings were available from early December. This means that birds could be paired up late October/early November. I think they should go back to the old way when rings weren’t released until 10th January. That meant that nothing could be hatched out before 1st January.
Muzza

January 4th, 2020, 8:40 pm

The 2019 rings game out in July here, I bred a small round in August.

A lot of blokes breed later, even into the new year.
Regards,

Murray
killer

January 4th, 2020, 9:01 pm

As Muzza as said rings here are issued 1st July ,so adding 6 Months on for you Guys would be Jan 1st , but I believe , here we go again the Sprint Guys wanted Older birds to race YB,S with ,??? Just to correct my self with when we mate up ,we prepare our Stock birds middle of Oct & Mate end or last Day of Oct , regarding the Moult of our birds ,I don,t like it ,when we have to start season with one or two to go as the birds are sore in the wing ,but may be we have toughten them up by doing this ,& they Mature faster than the Euro,s ??? ,our birds that are bred latter Hardly drop any flight feathers & are flown to the longest race points carriering most of there baby flights ,
killer

January 4th, 2020, 9:05 pm

muzza , your club is not alone in Bad returns , but tell them to take a look at when they are racing them , time of year , by dropping back the long one,s ,just a month, your not sending worn out birds ,& usley the Weather is Cooler ,& your got more birds to pick them from , very simple ,cheers
Muzza

January 4th, 2020, 10:04 pm

killer, I could not agree more.

I have had that discussion with them suggesting that they could have several long races a couple of weeks apart a bit earlier in the season. Before the heat and while the pigeons are fresh.

They look at you like you are an alien! :lol: :lol: :lol:

They have the long races at the end of the season, because, " that's how we have always done it".

I have pretty much given up on them. Last time I went to a meeting I got told I don't know what I am talking about. I don't do that anymore! :D
Regards,

Murray
killer

January 4th, 2020, 10:31 pm

that another reason Distance race,s are failing in most clubs & Feds ,time for a change ,they the none Distance guys told us the Same thing here ,you must fly 5 or 6 hundred miles first before flying 700 miles ,we proved them wrong the soft cocks wrong this year , Good fit pigeons that are healthy fresh & cut from the right cloth ,will race any where , as stated before we here only raced 200 miles & were jumped 700 miles in another direction ,that must prove something , & (YBS) tell them from me ,get there heads out of the sand ,before it’s to late for Distance racing out here , cheers
Andy123

January 4th, 2020, 11:00 pm

Great discussion.
Barcelona for me is in the middle of the season, it is around the longest day. I wouldn’t be worried about jumping them myself. I would be happy to give the Barcelona birds just a couple of 200 to 300 mile races before hand.
killer

January 5th, 2020, 3:31 am

personal I think most of the Guys wear there long distance birds out ,I think you can burn the candle at both ends , but it soon burns up ,cheers
Andy123

January 5th, 2020, 9:58 am

killer wrote:
January 5th, 2020, 3:31 am
personal I think most of the Guys wear there long distance birds out ,I think you can burn the candle at both ends , but it soon burns up ,cheers
That has been the thoughts over here, certainly of mine. Their have been several good performances put up here by yearlings in long distance races. But very few ever do it again. I favour a more gentle build up hopefully then having a few years of good long distance racing from them.
As far as selecting stock birds I would rather have pigeons that have flown the distance a few times than ones that had only done it once.

Return to “Chit Chat”