Think I have gone mad

Talk about anything here.
buster121

February 11th, 2019, 2:08 pm

Have decided to put some bowls in for the yearlings and get a couple off them, first time ever this is for me but cocks are driving very hard so give em a shot
devo56

February 11th, 2019, 3:00 pm

buster121 wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 2:08 pm
Have decided to put some bowls in for the yearlings and get a couple off them, first time ever this is for me but cocks are driving very hard so give em a shot
Buster what i have done is put the hen in the box, and leave the cock driving outside. That way i can see if the hen is game for him, and she wont get hurt by him. after 3 days if they are both pairing to each other i put them together.
Andy123

February 11th, 2019, 3:51 pm

What is it that you haven’t done before Buster, let yearlings pair up or breed from them?
Although it goes against a lot of what we say about only breeding from proven birds but I always like to take the odd youngsters from yearlings. If your selection is right and you know your birds each years youngsters should in theory be better than the previous one.
We should always be looking to improve what we have and not just breeding from the same birds each year that will only give you what you already have.
I know a higher proportion of youngsters out of “unproven” yearlings will be duds than from proven birds, but the few that aren’t should be better than anything else you already have.
When I was dairy farming my replacement heifers would be bred from the best cows in the herd plus from the first calving heifers. Because of the same principle. Although obviously the heifers were an unknown quantity they had been bred from the best paired to the best bulls so again in theory should be better than those already in the herd. Again a few wouldn’t make the grade and were moved on. Those that did would be very good.
buster121

February 11th, 2019, 5:00 pm

Andy123 wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 3:51 pm
What is it that you haven’t done before Buster, let yearlings pair up or breed from them?
Although it goes against a lot of what we say about only breeding from proven birds but I always like to take the odd youngsters from yearlings. If your selection is right and you know your birds each years youngsters should in theory be better than the previous one.
We should always be looking to improve what we have and not just breeding from the same birds each year that will only give you what you already have.
I know a higher proportion of youngsters out of “unproven” yearlings will be duds than from proven birds, but the few that aren’t should be better than anything else you already have.
When I was dairy farming my replacement heifers would be bred from the best cows in the herd plus from the first calving heifers. Because of the same principle. Although obviously the heifers were an unknown quantity they had been bred from the best paired to the best bulls so again in theory should be better than those already in the herd. Again a few wouldn’t make the grade and were moved on. Those that did would be very good.
Breed from mate never let them before in fact they don't usually have a box so all is a first for me, I did say I wasn't breeding any young this year, but then when you read your post it hits the nail on the head, as that is exactly what I thought

''We should always be looking to improve what we have and not just breeding from the same birds each year that will only give you what you already have''
trench

February 11th, 2019, 6:01 pm

Well done Buster, hope they breed well for you mate.
I have always bred from what I consider my better yearnings, the only worry is as Devo says if pairing two yearlings together the cock bird can prove too aggressive for the hen so you need to keep an eye on them. Also I completely agree with Andy that if our breeding is right each years youngsters should be an improvement on the last.
Good luck and best wishes mate, pleased you decided to breed again this year.

Return to “Chit Chat”