Devo’s and Chris’s 56, don’t know what to make of her

This is for members to ask questions and just have a chat about the Barcelona Test Loft
buster121

December 25th, 2019, 9:23 pm

Andy123 wrote:
December 25th, 2019, 9:09 pm
I agree with what’s been said.
Funny thing is when she came back during the summer it looked as though she had been out. Considering the weather we have had lately I don’t know that she stayed out this time.
With this venture, and certainly at this stage, all pigeons will be given the chance to prove themselves one way or another. Part of my job with this is to keep all members informed on what’s happening within the loft. No pigeon will get preferential treatment though and a ? Must go against her. She will be just left with the others to do what the rest do for now. I will get her paired up in the spring and hope that she doesn’t mess about again and see how she goes in training and hopefully racing next year.
Pairing may help her settle mate
ConorP

December 25th, 2019, 9:46 pm

jmccall wrote:
December 25th, 2019, 7:48 pm
Never known a wondering pigeon make a good racer especially a hen
Cock possible as there away looking for hens but if this hens wondering like that wouldn’t take much for her to go down and settle somewhere else if the going gets tough hens need love for home to put that extra in for distance racing
Got to agree mate, hopefully once paired up it will stop doing it
trench

December 26th, 2019, 8:05 pm

She is a cracking looking hen Andy and certainly worth getting her paired up and on the road to see how she comes. It does sound like she has found herself a second home somewhere and could continue to mess you around. She could be like the Irish hen you have and suddenly something will click it just depends if she chooses your loft or someone elses. I have a hen here at the moment that came into me as a yearling in 2018, she was returned to her owner. She obviously settled back home ok but then almost a year later during the 2019 racing season she turned up again and now she seems to have decided she prefers it here 🤔😂😂
Muzza

December 26th, 2019, 8:23 pm

They are interesting at times, aren't they? They get an idea in their heads, and that's that. :D

The Melbourne pigeon which turned up out of the 600 mile race is still here, and you would swear was born here. After a couple of months I took the chip ring of her yesterday.

I thought she would have made the run back to her loft by now, but no, not interested. Got a young cock bird following her around now, so that settles it! :lol: :lol:

It seems to be hens that do this sort of thing, I find.
Regards,

Murray
jmccall

December 26th, 2019, 8:31 pm

I’ve had similar before with a few pigeons
One cock multiple winner short distance but if wind was east and he came of that side would drop in a loft at Rochdale
Another cock dropped in same loft stoke on Trent every time but only on channel races although had scored at 500 on 2 occasions once he knew where he could call that was it never going to WIN get home yes but WINNING is why I send them
A hen missing that long has had a nest somewhere else and although I agree if you pair her up and get her on nest she will resettle but Ide bet money come a tough race will go down as it’s too used to doing it naturally

No harm in trying if you have the room and patience to do so but building a consistent channel team involves been ruthless and sending your best
sending the ones you don’t want to loose or are unsure of won’t cut it just my honest opinion

It could help depending on your location as your closer to coast than us up here ours have more options to drop into another loft in front of them
Andy123

December 26th, 2019, 9:03 pm

I do agree with you John. But as I have said to you this is early days in this venture and certainly with the addition of the second loft I do have the room. As time goes by as said before the criteria for keeping a perch will be increased. I also agree that you need to send your best to the distance to prove if things are moving forward. I am not as hard as I used to be and especially with birds from different lofts I feel they need to be given a chance. She certainly won’t be bred from until she has proved herself. I do think that she will let us down at some point, but we will wait and see.
stevekulpa

December 27th, 2019, 10:18 pm

I tend to agree with John, if she disappears when paired up in fact if she did it again at all she would have to go. Next time she may take another with her and before you know it you will have half a dozen going off and coming back when they feel like it
PVDMR

December 28th, 2019, 6:17 pm

As my mentor used to say,get it out the road
He didn’t put up with birds messing about!!!!
Seen him once ..storming out the loft with a limp widowhood cock in hand that scored multiple 1sts/ Feds😳
All because it started pratting around unsettling other birds in the race loft
seen other good birds disposed of doing a lot less.

Atb

Happy Christmas
You can buy The Mans Winning pigeons
BUT not the Man that flys them!!
Andy123

December 28th, 2019, 7:14 pm

PVDMR wrote:
December 28th, 2019, 6:17 pm
As my mentor used to say,get it out the road
He didn’t put up with birds messing about!!!!
Seen him once ..storming out the loft with a limp widowhood cock in hand that scored multiple 1sts/ Feds😳
All because it started pratting around unsettling other birds in the race loft
seen other good birds disposed of doing a lot less.

Atb

Happy Christmas
Used to be like that myself. A lot more lenient nowadays, don’t let my temper get the better of me now. I don’t think you can be like that when looking at extreme distance birds. These need to be individuals and not just team flyers.
Andy123

December 28th, 2019, 7:18 pm

stevekulpa wrote:
December 27th, 2019, 10:18 pm
I tend to agree with John, if she disappears when paired up in fact if she did it again at all she would have to go. Next time she may take another with her and before you know it you will have half a dozen going off and coming back when they feel like it
I do agree Steve. This morning after exercise she was the first one back in so will see how she goes, but as you say she can’t afford to have anymore slip ups.

Return to “Chit Chat”