BICC Liberations

This is for members to ask questions and just have a chat about the Barcelona Test Loft
jmccall
Posts: 99
Joined: December 10th, 2019, 11:29 pm
Location: Leeds
Gender: Male - Male

December 15th, 2019, 7:26 pm

I’ve just got the new I pigeon and the text and e mail facility is fantastic so can verify anytime as it notifies you of every arrival in minutes I also have cctv so in an emergency I can watch the loft on the phone 😂
I can see this been the way forward with systems like this verifying pigeons directly to the relevant club
User avatar
Andy123
Posts: 8749
Joined: October 15th, 2016, 8:15 pm
Location: Wincanton, Somerset
Gender: Male - Male

December 15th, 2019, 9:00 pm

Sounds good John. May have to invest in similar myself. I’ll see how this year goes. The I Pigeon works with any ETS ring doesn’t it?
jmccall
Posts: 99
Joined: December 10th, 2019, 11:29 pm
Location: Leeds
Gender: Male - Male

December 15th, 2019, 9:24 pm

I’ve literally got it couple of weeks ago ready for coming season and yes linked all my unikon rings to it no problem so far very easy to use both via pc software and directly using the ets itself
User avatar
trench
Posts: 8976
Joined: October 30th, 2016, 9:55 pm
Location: West sussex
Gender: Male - Male

December 15th, 2019, 10:11 pm

jmccall wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 7:26 pm
I’ve just got the new I pigeon and the text and e mail facility is fantastic so can verify anytime as it notifies you of every arrival in minutes I also have cctv so in an emergency I can watch the loft on the phone 😂
I can see this been the way forward with systems like this verifying pigeons directly to the relevant club
All very nice and I agree that it is the way forward but sadly there are still many fanciers out there that this kind of technology is way out reach, I know our club is only small but only 1 of our 9 members has ETS.
User avatar
trench
Posts: 8976
Joined: October 30th, 2016, 9:55 pm
Location: West sussex
Gender: Male - Male

December 15th, 2019, 10:16 pm

jmccall wrote:
December 14th, 2019, 7:51 pm
I say if there’s a chance of a better outcome for the birds it’s a must I missed sending with them this year as early races weather forecast too harsh for the distance I fly 340mile first race 24th April and was forecast east wind
but this year hoping to have a go at them again weather permitting and nice to see them forward thinking
A better outcome for who though John !!! If the forecast is bad for the Saturday so they go Friday lunchtime it might well be better for the shorter fliers but not for those who's birds can't make it home by night fall, will they want to get up again in the morning if its blowing a gale with heavy rain !! Don't get me wrong we all want our birds given a fighting to chance to get home but in my opinion they should still just hold them over.
jmccall
Posts: 99
Joined: December 10th, 2019, 11:29 pm
Location: Leeds
Gender: Male - Male

December 16th, 2019, 8:02 am

trench wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 10:16 pm
jmccall wrote:
December 14th, 2019, 7:51 pm
I say if there’s a chance of a better outcome for the birds it’s a must I missed sending with them this year as early races weather forecast too harsh for the distance I fly 340mile first race 24th April and was forecast east wind
but this year hoping to have a go at them again weather permitting and nice to see them forward thinking
A better outcome for who though John !!! If the forecast is bad for the Saturday so they go Friday lunchtime it might well be better for the shorter fliers but not for those who's birds can't make it home by night fall, will they want to get up again in the morning if its blowing a gale with heavy rain !! Don't get me wrong we all want our birds given a fighting to chance to get home but in my opinion they should still just hold them over.
Im not just talking about bicc here all of the nationals have the same issue
As I said it’s the welfare of the pigeons and the best outcome for them also it has to be looked at for the longer flyers which I imagine I am one of but ide much rather birds had a good crossing and fair chance up the country in good weather by releasing a day earlier than holding till following week
Realistically were only talking about a day or so because what’s the difference if released Friday if the weathers bad and released Monday it’s the same issue of people working I’m lucky that I’m self employed and always local

But those channel pigeons don’t come easy and confidence is lost in clubs by poor liberations
Personally I don’t send them if I think its not fit to lib as small channel teams can be decimated very easily that took years to build
User avatar
trench
Posts: 8976
Joined: October 30th, 2016, 9:55 pm
Location: West sussex
Gender: Male - Male

December 16th, 2019, 6:22 pm

jmccall wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 8:02 am
trench wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 10:16 pm
jmccall wrote:
December 14th, 2019, 7:51 pm
I say if there’s a chance of a better outcome for the birds it’s a must I missed sending with them this year as early races weather forecast too harsh for the distance I fly 340mile first race 24th April and was forecast east wind
but this year hoping to have a go at them again weather permitting and nice to see them forward thinking
A better outcome for who though John !!! If the forecast is bad for the Saturday so they go Friday lunchtime it might well be better for the shorter fliers but not for those who's birds can't make it home by night fall, will they want to get up again in the morning if its blowing a gale with heavy rain !! Don't get me wrong we all want our birds given a fighting to chance to get home but in my opinion they should still just hold them over.
Im not just talking about bicc here all of the nationals have the same issue
As I said it’s the welfare of the pigeons and the best outcome for them also it has to be looked at for the longer flyers which I imagine I am one of but ide much rather birds had a good crossing and fair chance up the country in good weather by releasing a day earlier than holding till following week
Realistically were only talking about a day or so because what’s the difference if released Friday if the weathers bad and released Monday it’s the same issue of people working I’m lucky that I’m self employed and always local

But those channel pigeons don’t come easy and confidence is lost in clubs by poor liberations
Personally I don’t send them if I think its not fit to lib as small channel teams can be decimated very easily that took years to build
I do agree with you John, getting them safely across the channel should be the priority.
I also agree with your point of holdovers into the following week and as you say the smaller lofts could easily be finished after just one bad race. I do however think it's down to the individual organisations to look at long term forecasts and if there is likely to be bad weather for several days then maybe they should look at canceling the race but they do need to consider every single fancier. I appreciate that this could cause major logistical headaches as most of these organisations take the money in advance of basketing.
Post Reply

Return to “Chit Chat”