Didn’t get to BICC marking

This is for members to ask questions and just have a chat about the Barcelona Test Loft
bkays

September 6th, 2019, 5:11 pm

We all have days like that. As others have said. Could very well be a blessing in disguise.
Andy123

September 6th, 2019, 5:39 pm

Thanks all. It is a shame in some ways as I think that they are in as good condition as they have been. This I think is shown by the way that they are pushing through the moult and most now only have the last flight to drop with the second to last flights growing. So most should nearly be finished moulting before the end of October. But as you all say could be a blessing in disguise. It does give us a good team of both yearlings and old birds for next year. It will be interesting, and could give us useful information for the future of this venture, to see how the yearlings that haven’t flown the channel this year as youngsters compare with those that have.
Now we can start evaluating the season and start to prepare for next year.
trench

September 6th, 2019, 5:40 pm

Andy123 wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 10:40 pm
Sorry guys, I didn’t get to marking for the BICC Fougeres race today.
It was one of those days when everything went against us. The day started ok. I went through the birds this morning before work. I earmarked 10 to go. I had all the entry forms filled in ready to take them. Marking is at Radstock between 11.00 & 14.00, which is nearly an hour away for me.
I then had a phone call before opening up the shop to say that part of my order due today had been sent to the wrong depot and would be sent out by courier tomorrow, which isn’t a problem. But just a sign of how the day was going to go. I have a big delivery in every Thursday and is usually here between 10.00 and 11.00.
Our member of staff who is usually here is on holiday this week so it is just Roxanna and myself. I can’t leave Roxanna to unload the lorry on her own so was going to unload the lorry and then go straight to marking.
Time then started ticking by and no sign of the delivery. I was also going to pick Phil’s birds up on my way through Frome as he had something else he had to sort out today. I phoned Phil just after 11.00 to say that my delivery hadn’t turned up at that point but would give it until 12.30 before having to give up on sending.
The delivery finally turned up at 12.55 and it was 1.20 before we finished unloading it so was then too late to get to marking. I phoned Phil to say that we wouldn’t be able to send which meant that he hasn’t either.
Maybe it was trying to tell us something. Neither of us are too worried as we both have a reasonable team of yearlings for next year that have either been raced over the channel or at least well trained.
Also the RPRA OLR stray that I had in the other day was supposed to have been picked up between 12.00 and 14.00. There was some sort of confusion on the post code meaning that they had gone to the wrong town and had run out of time so won’t now be picking that one up until next week.
So as you can see it was one of those days.
On the plus side it does mean that we have 16 youngsters that have been raced or trained to take through to yearlings next year. We have something left from every member sending in youngsters this year so all will have an interest in next seasons old birds.
Devo & Chris x 4
Phil x 3
Pete x 2
Grizzlecock & Ben x 2
Magic x 1
Trev x 1
Mine x 3 (2 bred from 26 of Grizzlecock & Ben)
I will try to take photos of them all at the weekend. We also put on the old birds left.

Sorry all that we didn’t manage to get a race this weekend, I was looking forward to it.
As others have already said Andy it could well be someone watching over you bruv, maybe our Dad 👍😀
You now have the 9 young birds that have been across the water once and the others have been well trained so with the old birds a good solid team for next year, you can start looking assessing the team in readiness. I know many distance fanciers don't race their youngsters and others that just like to give them one channel crossing then call it a day.
trench

September 6th, 2019, 5:43 pm

stevekulpa wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 11:26 pm
What a day ,You don't want too many like that Andy. Still look on the bright side as you say you've got a good team to start next year with. We have not sent to the NFC old hens first time I think we haven't sent but never mind could be a hard one I think and a lot of those YB's could very well not cross the channel into that NNW wind.
Funny enough Steve I was talking to Des Coulter lunch time and he said exactly the same, putting youngsters across the water in a North west wind can be a disaster.
Andy123

September 6th, 2019, 6:57 pm

Looks like we could unwittingly made a good decision. Looking at the entries there is a total of 1953 youngsters with only 51 from the West section, our section. Nearly all the others are from over the East side of the country.
There are a total of 614 any age birds of which only 19 are from the West section.
So a total of 2,567 birds, and only 70 from the West. They would really have struggled to pull across from that number.
stevekulpa

September 6th, 2019, 11:22 pm

I can't believe you even contemplated sending them on there 9th flight Andy the amount of strain that puts on there wings is incredible, I know not everyone agrees with the darkness system but the difference is so vast, ours are not hard and fast on opening up and shutting them down and as an example mum and dads YB's are better moulted than ours because they are there can exercise during the day and shut them up the same time every day we how ever have to work the system around when we get home and exercising the old birds who get priority. But ours do hold there flights and body moult our loft is also not totally dark where as mum and dad's is a lot darker. When you go to a marking look at the vast difference between natural and darkness YB's.
Steve
bkays

September 7th, 2019, 1:58 am

We haven't raced YB's in years but we decided long ago that when we come back to racing we'll definitely be using the darkness system. It's the only way to make sure your YB's can get the channel races at the end of the year safely. They're factors though. Like YB's going missing and turning up late. You'll also get some that will moult anyway. These can simply be kept for next year.

We built a wooden box on our garden shed enough to house 7 YB's. We did this to try out the darkness system. One went missing for around 3 weeks from a trainer. The difference between him and the other 6 was quite remarkable. Had we been racing. We wouldn't have raced him in the last couple of weeks of the season. The other 6 would have been absolutely fine.

Pigeons race at their absolute best when they're on their first 4 primarys. Once they drop their 5th their chance of winning drops dramatically.

When I looked at the 6 YB's flights. It was around the 15th of September and they were still only on their 3rd flight which they had not long dropped.
Andy123

September 7th, 2019, 12:12 pm

stevekulpa wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 11:22 pm
I can't believe you even contemplated sending them on there 9th flight Andy the amount of strain that puts on there wings is incredible, I know not everyone agrees with the darkness system but the difference is so vast, ours are not hard and fast on opening up and shutting them down and as an example mum and dads YB's are better moulted than ours because they are there can exercise during the day and shut them up the same time every day we how ever have to work the system around when we get home and exercising the old birds who get priority. But ours do hold there flights and body moult our loft is also not totally dark where as mum and dad's is a lot darker. When you go to a marking look at the vast difference between natural and darkness YB's.
Steve
I can only say that our birds are flying as well now as they have all year, no flagging just open loft. The go really high and disappear for a while at various times during the day.
They have been back on open loft the last couple of weeks. They were on open loft earlier in the year but as it got warmer the houses behind the loft were leaving their velux windows open and the birds were starting to sit on them during the day, so to avoid disputes with the neighbours I restricted the time they were out. For sometime they have been going out for an hour or so in the morning before being cleaned out and fed in. They have then been let out again around 4 and then cleaned out and fed around 7. Funny thing is that after feeding them in at 8.30am and leaving them open to come back out, they still spend most of the day in the loft until around mid afternoon when they start to come out again. So even with the loft open they still stick pretty much to the old routine.
I have never tried the darkness so can’t really comment but I can see the advantages if wanting to compete with young birds. For me though young bird racing is just for experience. I do notice a big difference between youngsters reared on the Darkness and those reared naturally. The stray I had in from the RPRA OLR was in great feather and only on it’s 2nd flight. What happens though Steve after the season has finished? they must have to go some to get the moult finished before the end of the year.
I remember a member in the Worthing club back in the late 70s early 80s who looking back must have been on darkness even then. His youngsters always looked like old birds and in immaculate feather. He would win nearly every young bird race with several in the result. He rarely done anything with old birds though. This could have been due to not knowing how to treat them after racing had finished.
stevekulpa

September 7th, 2019, 11:24 pm

Once they finish racing after about a week we lock them up for the winter and they moult just fine you always get the odd one that lags behind same as even on the darkness system you some times get a YB that drop's flights we pair up at Christmas and the young cocks will have moulted by then the hens don't matter as we don't pair them but most of them will be finished also. As for racing as yearlings if I get a chance I will check how many winner's with yearlings we have had this year, Off the top of my head one hen has won twice and one cock has won once but I'll check out the others and post it. But going on from that I think you had a lucky swerve in todays race apart from staddons exceptional pigeon all the others were over the east side.
Last edited by stevekulpa on September 8th, 2019, 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy123

September 8th, 2019, 9:43 am

stevekulpa wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 11:24 pm
Once they finish racing after about a week we lock them up for the winter and they moult just fine you always get the odd one that lags behind same as even on the darkness system you some times get a YB that drop's flights we pair up at Christmas and the young cocks will have moulted by then the hens don't matter as we don't pair them but most of them will be finished also. As for racing as yearlings if I get a chance I will check how many winner with yearlings we have had this year, Off the top of my head one hen has won twice and one cock has won once but ill check out the others and post it. But going on from that I think you had a lucky swerve in todays race apart from staddons exceptional pigeon all the others were over the east side.
Thanks for your reply Steve, always good to hear of other members experiences especially with systems I know nothing about. You almost need to include your yearlings that would have won if they hadn’t been beaten by loft mates. :)
Yes Steve I think it was just as well I missed marking. John & Dave’s pigeon must have flown most of the race on it’s own, they only live a few miles from me. Only 5 of the 11 members that sent verified a pigeon, and all apart from the Staddons were after 5 o’clock. Looking at the whole result less than half the members that sent verified. The old birds didn’t fair much better mind.
We may have had a good one but how many would we be missing? Glad I’ve got them here for next year.
Last edited by Andy123 on September 8th, 2019, 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Chit Chat”