Long fly for half a dozen

This is for members to ask questions and just have a chat about the Barcelona Test Loft
Andy123

July 14th, 2019, 8:51 pm

I had a bit of a lay in this morning so the birds didn’t go out until just after 9.00. I called them in at around 11.00. I have been keeping them a bit tighter on food this last week to get them trapping quicker and stopping them messing about in the evening. For some reason, I don’t know why, several of the youngsters spent the night out again at the start of the week, no sign of them when getting dark. That is 4 times they have done that this year. They are all there the next morning.
Anyway they trapped quickly and we went up to Roxanna’s mum and dads. I just assumed that they were all there. The weather here has been very warm and still today. During the afternoon I was out in the garden sorting out the pond filter and saw 6 pigeons drop onto the loft. When I looked they were all youngsters, they did have their wings down a bit and had obviously flown some. They trapped quickly and on counting up they were all there. These 6 youngsters had been gone for over 5 hours, probably covering 200+ miles. A great experience for them and very pleased with them. I am looking to go training again in the morning.
I’m not sure who all the 6 youngsters were but I think one was a blue from Trev, one of Grizzlecock’s, a youngster I bred out of Pete’s Blue Chequer cock 99 x the Irish hen and the youngster of Pete’s that had the growth, he has made up really nicely now. Not sure who the other 2 were. They trapped to quick for me to make out who they were.
buster121

July 14th, 2019, 9:33 pm

That is a great days training for them, one that they will benefit from, glad all there and things going well
trench

July 14th, 2019, 10:03 pm

All good experience Andy, we will never know half of what goes on with our birds or where they go (well maybe one day when they are all fitted with gps) it's just good to get them home safe.
lestheeagle

July 15th, 2019, 9:40 am

Nice one Andy. Won't be long before Guernsey race arrives.
Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.

Return to “Chit Chat”