Thoughts on moving forward for our Barcelona loft

This is for members to ask questions and just have a chat about the Barcelona Test Loft
Andy123

June 30th, 2019, 7:26 pm

Well races like yesterday’s really make me realise that this is very much going to be a long term venture and it is going to take time to get things right and build a team of reliable. I am disappointed not to have got anything from yesterday’s race but it was a very hard race with many fanciers not getting one. The type of racing that I am doing now, all being Nationals and Classics and over the channel, is much different from what I have done before. Much different from club and combine racing where all birds are returning to one area.
I am still determined to make this venture a success. One of the good things I think with this is that there is no time scale, no set out format that has to be stuck to. It’s just me racing pigeons the way I want, just with the added pressure of members on here being involved :lol: :lol: I enjoy putting these posts up and are quite happy letting everyone know how things are going both good and bad. As members involved know I also let those that have pigeons in the loft know of anything that may have happened with their pigeons via email, pm or even WhatsApp before posting on the forum. I think it’s good for new members to see the ups and downs of this sport.
I have been out since starting this post and when I got back I found the Irish hen back from yesterday’s race.
The youngsters had an unexpected trainer today. When I went to feed them this morning only half a dozen youngsters were here. They must have gone off with a batch of trainers that were passing. I say that because when they came back over an hour later there were a couple of stray youngsters with them. They disappeared during the day. I was 3 missing. 2 turned up early afternoon and Magic’s Red Pied cock turned up this evening. So all here again now and probably a better trainer than I could have given them.
As you know I am planning on moving and extending the loft at the end of the season. I am now considering going back to widowhood, so looking to how I change the loft. I always used to fly widowhood but thought that for what I am hoping to do natural and open loft would be better. Also before I didn’t race the hens. This time I am going to see about racing the hens on widowhood. I always thought that having the cocks same hen waiting on their return was important but not so sure that any hen will do now???
One of the reasons is that I find that it’s not ideal having pigeons sat all over neighbours houses is a good thing especially where I am. Also I find that the old birds don’t exercise so well paired. Also because I always basket on a Thursday morning it is difficult keeping pairs sitting. So this makes it difficult to prepare birds for races especially if I have lost one of the pair. The Irish hen incidentally was undated for this weekends race. Next week Magic’s Red cock will be going unrated at present as his hen is missing from this weekend. What are members thoughts on this?
rainbow

June 30th, 2019, 8:15 pm

I don't think the birds were fit to face the channel I also think it's a big ask to take a bird from the loft and expect it to fly the channel these birds do not know how to beak away from a large batch when after the lib some do go the wrong way I think you must get them training or racing inland even if north road just as long they get fit and learn to break, these birds on Saturday if they did cross and I doubt it may have crossed further up the coast I remember in NI years ago you would have had 6-8 inland races before going across the channel and it still took a good bird to fly the channel hope this makes sense :lol: :lol: whatever you decide Andy good luck
buster121

June 30th, 2019, 9:04 pm

As an outsider I think what you are doing Andy is great, stick with it and reap the rewards later, yesterday's race I don't think was anything to do with birds but the weather many, many losses all around the country
Andy123

June 30th, 2019, 9:31 pm

buster121 wrote:
As an outsider I think what you are doing Andy is great, stick with it and reap the rewards later, yesterday's race I don't think was anything to do with birds but the weather many, many losses all around the country
It was definitely the heat that got the better of them this weekend. To be honest the Irish hen that came back this evening could go straight back again the condition she’s in. It hasn’t taken anything out of her. I think they just went down because of the heat and will come on when a bit cooler. As you say there are an awful lot of pigeons missing from many races this weekend. A little over half the members that sent to the BBC race yesterday verified a pigeon.
Muzza

July 1st, 2019, 9:07 am

Andy123 wrote:
buster121 wrote:
It was definitely the heat that got the better of them this weekend. To be honest the Irish hen that came back this evening could go straight back again the condition she’s in. It hasn’t taken anything out of her. I think they just went down because of the heat and will come on when a bit cooler. As you say there are an awful lot of pigeons missing from many races this weekend. A little over half the members that sent to the BBC race yesterday verified a pigeon.
Good to see that pigeon got home. :D

It was warm at liberation, what temperature was it at home?

Just asking, because I am a long way away....
Regards,

Murray
Andy123

July 1st, 2019, 10:16 am

Muzza wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 9:07 am
Andy123 wrote:
buster121 wrote:
Good to see that pigeon got home. :D

It was warm at liberation, what temperature was it at home?

Just asking, because I am a long way away....
It was up to 30c by midday here Murray.
Muzza

July 1st, 2019, 10:26 am

Oooh!

That will hurt them alright.
Regards,

Murray
Magic

July 1st, 2019, 4:20 pm

Andy123 wrote:
June 30th, 2019, 7:26 pm
Next week Magic’s Red cock will be going unrated
I don't know about other members but I'm not overly impressed with your birds either :lol: :lol: :lol:
You can never lose a homing pigeon - if it doesn't come back, all you have lost is a pigeon.
Magic

July 1st, 2019, 4:34 pm

buster121 wrote:

There were only 2 day birds on Saturday from St Malo into this country. A hard, hard day all round.
You can never lose a homing pigeon - if it doesn't come back, all you have lost is a pigeon.
ChrisRoscoe
Site Admin

July 1st, 2019, 5:42 pm

nice to see the updates again andy, and as a outsider i personally wouldnt of sent to saturdays race the heat was to much for anyone and any pigeon, alot of birds are missing but as we always say learn from your mistakes, and i think widowhood would be good, i no it be alot fo work but maybe pairing the birds to stock birds so they always have there cock or hen to come back to ? i know thats a huge task and also you need some stock birds, just a thought but it is nice to see the venture still going and always letting the members know the good and the bad
Name: Chris Roscoe
Club: Rushden and Raunds South Road Flying Club
Fed: Mid Northants South Road

Return to “Chit Chat”