Started basket training

This is for members to ask questions and just have a chat about the Barcelona Test Loft
Andy123

June 6th, 2019, 9:36 pm

I decided it was time to start basket training today. I just gave them a couple of hours in the baskets this afternoon. It gave me a good chance to have a good check of them all as I put them in the baskets. There are some really nice youngsters among them.
Being their first time in the basket I was nicely surprised at how calm they were. Not one tried to get out or go mad, the young cocks just started cooing and scraping. After a couple of hours and after I finished work I just held the baskets up and opened the fronts to let them fly out. All came out fine. I will do this a few times before thinking of giving them their first trainer. They will probably spend a night or 2 in the baskets as well.
Glad to say that although the growth on Pete’s hen hasn’t fallen off yet, it hasn’t got any bigger and she is both looking much brighter and quite willing to fly now, unlike a week ago.
Eastyorkflyer

June 6th, 2019, 10:18 pm

Glad you are happy with how it went mate 👍 basket training isn't something I put much effort into I don't think it matters really to me but with you racing from home and doing the channel races it's important but mine get basketed and sent I don't bother with training them to get use to it
Andy123

June 7th, 2019, 8:11 am

I understand what your saying about yours Daniel. I feel that for our Barcelona birds it is quite important for them to get used to the basket, they are going to spend a fair bit of time in them over the years. As you said all my races are over the channel and even the first race that the youngsters will have they will be basketed on the Thursday morning, so a minimum of 48 hours right from the off. Last year this first race was a holdover so ended up being 72 hours.
Muzza

June 7th, 2019, 9:02 am

I am somewhere in between the two of you. I used to put the babies in the hampers and let them sit, and I don't think it is wrong. But now I sort of use vaccinations and worming and things as a chance to put the babies in the box. They get put in the hamper after they get their jab, or worm tablet, and have a sit for a little while. It does them no harm.

But, I don't think that time sitting in a box is a thing that gets better the more you do. If they learn to sit in a box with 2 hours practice, I cannot really see why they would be better at it after, say, 6 hours practice. It isn't a skill or fitness level that can be improved with training. :D

What I am still a believer in, is giving the young birds a series of little tosses, from about 1, 2, 4, and maybe 6 or 8 miles, early on. Then they are educated, and after a little break to complete a nice moult, they are ready to press on through the training program. I think that if they have those little flicks, without coming to any harm, they can be sent up the road, and If things go pear shaped they know enough to get home.

Just my theory, feel free to disagree. :)
Regards,

Murray
Eastyorkflyer

June 7th, 2019, 12:04 pm

Andy123 wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 8:11 am
I understand what your saying about yours Daniel. I feel that for our Barcelona birds it is quite important for them to get used to the basket, they are going to spend a fair bit of time in them over the years. As you said all my races are over the channel and even the first race that the youngsters will have they will be basketed on the Thursday morning, so a minimum of 48 hours right from the off. Last year this first race was a holdover so ended up being 72 hours.
Absolutely mate 👍 if they spending time like that in the basket for the channel it will definitely do them some good to be use to been in them for extended periods of time my father did this with his birds!! but the most my birds spend in a basket is 17 hours when I send to Swansea over night with a work mate

Return to “Chit Chat”