Stressful time

This is for members to ask questions and just have a chat about the Barcelona Test Loft
Andy123

April 10th, 2019, 10:08 pm

I find this the most stressful time for me, made even more so with the Barcelona youngsters. For some reason, here I often seem to have trouble the first time the youngsters leave the loft getting them back down. I seem to have quite a few that end up having a night out. I must say though that I actually lose very few off the loft and they usually come in, in the end. I have got some 3 story buildings around me and the birds do seem to have a bit of trouble coming down onto the loft. Once they have managed it they rarely have any problems again.
I have had the youngster from Magic’s out and flying around and came back in ok. 2 days ago I had a youngster of mine take off for the first time. It was missing when I shut the loft up on Monday evening. Yesterday morning when I opened the loft up and the old birds went out I saw the youngster join them from somewhere. It stayed around all day but didn’t come down. In the evening it started raining and got quite dark. The youngster got wet and although kept trying to come down just never got low enough to land. In the end it got to dark. So that was a second night out for this youngster. This morning it was already sitting on the house at the end of the garden. Again when I let the old birds out it flew off with them. Still wouldn’t come down though. During the morning Roxanna went up the garden and it landed on the wall behind the loft. She put some sunflower hearts on the drop board and all the old birds came out for some. This then encouraged it to land on the loft and once there went straight in. When I handled it it was a bit thin and tired but otherwise ok. Of course it hadn’t eaten anything for a couple of days and having not flown before has spent the last couple of days flying on and off for ages. Shouldn’t be a problem now though, and has at least learnt how to keep safe if out overnight.
I also had another 5 youngsters come out onto the loft this morning but all in and safe this evening.
52AC3D23-C011-4C04-96E8-91A6ED7D26AE.jpeg
587EB9C9-1F8D-42A7-B7C6-E762B4669345.jpeg
This shows some of the youngsters on the loft this morning, plus some of the houses around me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andy123

April 10th, 2019, 10:12 pm

Just noticed that in the first photo you can see the youngster that wouldn’t come down sitting up on the house lol.
buster121

April 11th, 2019, 6:51 am

It will soon recover mate and now it knows where home is
bkays

April 11th, 2019, 10:00 am

I think you're lucky Andy as there's no other fanciers within quite a few square miles. We have a big colony of streeters around here. Id have to try and scare them off from the house a few doors down.

It really was a nightmare! Once I saw them gone I would try and get the youngsters out for literally 4-5 minutes the first couple of times.

I know Les has this problem too. I think he has a colony of 50 odd streeters down the road from him.
lestheeagle

April 11th, 2019, 10:20 am

I do indeed Ben. I had three squeakers here on the loft when i let mine out at 6.30. I've found them in the loft having a feast on a few occasions as well. I dip them in a bucket of water and shout when i throw them out and so far they don't return. The ones on the loft will get water thrown at them, or will receive a whack from a bamboo stick. I've only had to remove one so far, but they are a pain.
Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.
Andy123

April 11th, 2019, 2:30 pm

bkays wrote:
April 11th, 2019, 10:00 am
I think you're lucky Andy as there's no other fanciers within quite a few square miles. We have a big colony of streeters around here. Id have to try and scare them off from the house a few doors down.

It really was a nightmare! Once I saw them gone I would try and get the youngsters out for literally 4-5 minutes the first couple of times.

I know Les has this problem too. I think he has a colony of 50 odd streeters down the road from him.
Yes your right Ben, it is a great help. There are no streeters around here. I do seem to attract a fair number of strays though :lol: :lol:
The nearest fanciers to me are 3 good National flyers. Namely Mr & Mrs Hodges 3 miles South of me. J.P Halstead 5 miles South East of me. And D & J Staddon 6 miles West of me.
So in theory I should be in a good position for the Nationals.
From this weekend I will keep mine shut in on a Saturday, at least until late afternoon due to race birds being around and also because they do liberate from Wincanton race course, and are this weekend, which is less than a mile away.
trench

April 11th, 2019, 10:07 pm

It is a stressful time Andy, glad the youngster finally came in. Hopefully once you have moved the loft to the end of the garden it might make it a bit easier for the youngsters to get down as they will have longer and clearer flight path. I don't honestly think having other lofts near by makes much difference, in fact I think it can be beneficial. Back in the day when Andy and I were boys there were a fair few lofts around our way and I don't remember it ever being a problem, like wise when fanciers raced to allotments there would have been dozen of them on the same site. Since I have had the pigeons again my birds, young and old, would often join my neighbours birds when out flying but would always split back to their own lofts. On several occasions I would have a youngster of his on my roof and he likewise but I never had one of his come in to mine and he never had any mine go in to his. It must be frustrating having streeters close by and I think these would probably cause more problems than other race lofts especially if those colonies are in or on large or disused buildings. I do have one that visits our loft every couple of days, she comes in has a feed and clears off.
bkays

April 11th, 2019, 11:57 pm

Wincanton race course liberation must be taken into consideration. You get a bunch of a few thousand go by and that's your youngsters gone if they're unexperienced.

We also have that problem here. We live down the road from a park. Which happens to be the very first training toss point for a lot of Bristol fanciers. Once I had 6 hens out. They went into a bach of about 150 pigeons that were just liberated at the park. My 6 hens dragged them back and we had them all flying around the loft for a good 20 minutes before they cleared. My hens went off with them but were all back in 5 minutes.

One big training bach came over with my cocks and they dragged them around our loft for awhile. One young hen actually stayed. It was Stuart Wilcox's bird. I rang him and he came and picked her up. It was his youngsters first toss. Which as I mentioned earlier was at the park.

I liked my youngsters hitting the training baches. They'd get dragged off and have to learn how to break. You could see them getting better and better at breaking. Till the point where they would join a bach of 100 birds and they'd be back 30 seconds after the bach cleared.

Someones been training everyday at the park around 5:45pm every day this week. Their line of flight goes right over our loft.

If I was in your position Andy. Once the youngsters have had a few training tosses down to 50 miles. I would drive to Wincanton race course on a Saturday and let them up with a small liberation. It's one way to sort the wheat from the chaff (Although a hard way). Could even chuck up the old birds. Worth thinking about anyway.

Return to “Chit Chat”