Barcelona loft 2020 Race program

Andy will post updates his updates here.
Andy123

November 12th, 2019, 3:55 pm

The race program for next year has now just about been confirmed. There is still a discussion going on regarding the Bordeaux race and the International races are still to be confirmed.
This is the likely program that I can choose from.

Old Birds

2/5. Falaise. 178mls. BICC
9/5. Coutances. 145mls. CSCFC
16/5. Falaise. 178mls. BICC
16/5. Coutances. 145mls. BBC
23/5. Fougeres. 195mls. NFC
30/5. Messac. 225mls. BICC
30/5. Messac. 225mls. CSCFC
6/6. Messac. 225mls. NFC
13/6. Poitiers. 343mls. BICC
13/6. Messac. 225mls. BBC
19/6. Tarbes. 553mls. CSCFC
19/6. Pau. 520mls. BICC & International
20/6. Ancencis. 261mls. NFC
26/6. Agen. 495mls. BICC & international
27/6. Fougeres. 195mls. BBC
3/7. Tarbes. 553mls. NFC
3/7. Barcelona. 702mls. BBC, BICC & international
4/7. Le Mans. 240mls. BICC
10/7. Bergerac. 449mls. CSCFC
10/7. St Vincent. 513mls. BICC & international
17/7. Marseille. 673mls. BICC & international
24/7. Narbonne. 601mls. BICC & international
25/7. Bordeaux. 438mls. BICC & BBC
25/7. Sigogne. 382mls. NFC
31/7. Perpignan. 636mls. BICC & international

Young Birds + Any Age or Old Hens

15/8. Guernsey. 109mls. BICC. AA
22/8. Guernsey. 109mls. CSCFC. OH
29/8. Falaise. 178mls. BICC. AA
29/8. Vire. 167mls. BBC. OH
5/9. Coutances. 145mls. NFC. OH

As you can see we have plenty of choice. Obviously we will be selecting the races we send too and won’t send to them all, but these are the races we have available to choose from.
Potter29

November 12th, 2019, 5:38 pm

Now thats a program , atb pal
buster121

November 12th, 2019, 6:14 pm

Plenty to choose from there
trench

November 12th, 2019, 6:32 pm

A decent choice of distances there and plenty of options for you to get the birds right for your chosen race points. Good to see you have a couple more young bird races to aim for too.
devo56

November 12th, 2019, 7:36 pm

Selection looks great mate, plenty to think about.
Muzza

November 13th, 2019, 7:23 am

That gives you a fair bit to work with, program wise, Andy.
Regards,

Murray
Muzza

November 13th, 2019, 7:36 am

I am a boy from the colonies, and think differently, but if I was aiming to go 700 miles with old birds, I would be wanting them to go a lot further than 180 miles as young birds.

In New Zealand the young bird National race is always about 500 kilometres (300miles) and they have to fly Cooks Strait between the Islands. It's a lot like the channel. Not very far at the shortest point, but they aren't always flying the shortest point.

If they cant measure up as young birds, they probably wont measure up latter.
Regards,

Murray
Petedav

November 13th, 2019, 9:24 am

Cracking race program, great choice of distances.
Andy123

November 13th, 2019, 11:24 am

Muzza wrote:
I am a boy from the colonies, and think differently, but if I was aiming to go 700 miles with old birds, I would be wanting them to go a lot further than 180 miles as young birds.

In New Zealand the young bird National race is always about 500 kilometres (300miles) and they have to fly Cooks Strait between the Islands. It's a lot like the channel. Not very far at the shortest point, but they aren't always flying the shortest point.

I do understand what your saying Murray. I did used to like to get my youngsters to around 200mls, but that was inland. I think with this venture it is a bit different.
As you know this is all new to me too. Although I have raced pigeons for many years nearly all was inland, racing North road, and only club, federation and combine racing into a relatively small area. Now all my racing is National or Classic and into an area that is 250+ miles wide and about as far from South to North, and although I am one of the shorter members I am also well over to the west at the widest part. The channel at its narrowest is 26 miles across but that it way over to the East of the country and if the birds came inland there they would have to dog leg for around 200mls. At the point where I would want them to cross to get them straight on line the channel is 100mls wide. So for me it is more about hours on the wing, crossing the channel and the experience of being liberated in large numbers, plus spending time in the basket. So although the distance in a straight line doesn’t seem to far I’m sure they fly much further.
My aim is to just give them a taster as youngsters, although as this year proved again even this can be difficult at that time of the year because of the predominantly West winds. This year all the youngsters were well trained but only half got a race. It will be interesting to see how the ones that weren’t raced go against those that were.
I also think that because of the nature of these races I will get better racing once they go over 200 miles as they then have a chance to sort themselves out a bit before hitting the French Coast. With this in mind it won’t worry me jumping pigeons straight in at 200+ miles. I have done it the last couple of years and got them ok. I feel that in the shorter races they are dragged all over the place, so although good experience for those that make it they do fly far further than they should probably do.
As yearlings I will be looking to push them onto around 350/400 miles and 500/600 as 2 year olds before going to Barcelona at 3 or 4 years old.
At this early stage I am learning the best way of doing things and it will take time to start to build both a system and a team for this venture. In time when I know our birds better I may well be able to push them on a bit more at a younger age but at present I am just taking things slowly.
trench

November 13th, 2019, 8:19 pm

Muzza wrote:

It certainly sounds like it's a very different way of flying over there Murray and your birds definitely earn their perches. Is there any particular strain that is favoured in Australia ???
As with all racing its a matter of personal opinion and knowing what our birds are capable of. There are distance fliers that don't race youngbirds, there are those that train and lightly race them, those that push them hard, some only go inland and some only across the channel but to all these fanciers their methods work.
When I had my best years I used to try and give my youngsters every race up to around 210miles, as yearlings they would go to around 350miles, 2 year olds around 430 and after that they could go anywhere. In my opinion fanciers today don't have the patience to wait they want results from the day the egg hatches. Having said that I'm sure some of the modern breeds have been developed to mature much quicker whereas some breeds still need a bit more time. I always try to compare our birds to our children, if you try and get your 8 year old Son/Daughter to run a marathon with their 18 year old sibling you would probably damage them for life both physically and mentally. Our yearlings are still only babies and not yet fully developed, there is a reason why gym's won't let children under the age of 16 to lift weights and the main reason is the damage it will do to their under developed muscles. This of course is just my opinion and I although I have won my share of long distance races they have mostly only ever been at club level so I don't profess to be an expert by any stretch 😀👍

Return to “Updates”