Barcelona youngster returned

Andy will post updates his updates here.
Andy123

September 17th, 2019, 8:13 pm

buster121 wrote:
September 17th, 2019, 6:35 pm
Andy123 wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 1:47 pm
buster121 wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 12:08 pm
Report via RPRA they have to arrange something then, I also collect all mine that get reported, as for no stamps etc all clubs are supposed to check birds have something so that is down to clubs not following marking procedures
I agree that the club officials aren’t doing their job by allowing these birds with no phone numbers on to be basketed. I would also add that the wing stamps should be legible. I don’t wing stamp mine as I use the phone stickers and have had no problem with them but I know some will say that this must have come off. I do think that maybe we should go back to wing stamps.
3 of the ones I reported were reported through the RPRA Buster as they had no phone number on and although they responded fairly quickly still none of them wanted to collect or send for them. I have got all there phone numbers so could ring them again.
Sorry to say Andy assholes like them shouldn't have birds I know there are some reasons why folk cannot afford to pay couriers etc especially if lost many, but in saying that we all know and are aware of situations that may arise and should be prepared to get them back, many pigeon sites have folks that will do all they can to help a bird get back home, end of day these are babies learning and should be given the chances they deserve, make them get them if they have been reported through RPRA then they know the procedure, sorry if this seems harsh but I will do anything to get one of my birds back, have even delivered birds up North when told they have no way of getting them back(all at my cost) for folks only to be peed off when I get there to see cars and vans on drive, so they could and should have got them
Not harsh Buster. I too would do all I can to get mine back. Drove to Exeter earlier this year to pick a youngster up, 3 hour round trip. I to have taken pigeons back to other fanciers and picked up pigeons for others.
The only one that I didn’t pick up was a youngster from Potter the was in the Barcelona team. The only reason I didn’t was that it had disappeared off the loft a few months before being reported over 100 miles away and the fancier reporting it was happy to keep it.
The trouble is Buster, these supposed pigeon fanciers that won’t help or don’t get their birds back would probably only get rid of them if returned. They obviously don’t think much of them.
As you say any youngster can make a mistake. I know we’ve got to be selective to be successful but all deserve a second chance.
stevekulpa

September 17th, 2019, 9:01 pm

Don't wait Andy deal with the problem ASAP
CDBL

September 18th, 2019, 3:40 am

Good news that Andy. Well done to you and the birds 9/11 is fantastic.

Steve. Or anyone for that matter. As pigeons are living things. Does anyone else believe that a pigeons racing heart can just go? I've always pretended if they don't come back, they've just decided racing isn't for them after all... :lol: discuss?
Not so retired racer, part time webmaster and part time distiller
buster121

September 18th, 2019, 6:38 am

CDBL wrote:

Steve. Or anyone for that matter. As pigeons are living things. Does anyone else believe that a pigeons racing heart can just go? I've always pretended if they don't come back, they've just decided racing isn't for them after all... :lol: discuss?
It is a possibility Chris yes amongst all the other threats they have, just give up for a quiet life :)
CDBL

September 18th, 2019, 7:10 am

buster121 wrote:
September 18th, 2019, 6:38 am
CDBL wrote:

It is a possibility Chris yes amongst all the other threats they have, just give up for a quiet life :)
It just strikes me we lose so many birds each year it can't be all birds of prey. Sure they will scatter if hit. But then if they wanted to get back they've got the best navigation eqpt around... although no one can pin down what it is
Andy123

September 18th, 2019, 8:23 am

We cannot make our pigeons come back. We do all we can to prepare them for what’s ahead but once out of the loft it is up to them where they go. We then have to rely on their love for their home and loft to want to return. There are things that we can do to try to get them to do it quicker but they have to want to come back.
I think that many losses are partly due to fanciers looking at their birds as a commodity. As far as their concerned they are there to race and that’s it. They have no appreciation or love for their birds so why should the birds for them.
As far as the strays I have/get they rarely seem to go, even when liberated away from my loft they just return. Is this due to the calmness I have in my loft? Have they decided that they prefer my loft to the one they have come from? Who knows.
It’s a nice day today, I’m going to take the 9 strays I have 20 miles today and single them up. I wonder how many I’ll have this evening!!
buster121

September 18th, 2019, 1:41 pm

Agree with some of those commetnts Andy, myself I would release altogether more chance of losing them that way I think
Andy123

September 18th, 2019, 3:36 pm

Well I took the 9 strays about 15 miles in the end. Got stuck in traffic because of a bad accident on the A303. Found a nice quiet spot to let them go and released them 1 at a time. When I got home 4 were already back along with another stray 😝, this one has disappeared. Had another one back about an hour later. 2 of the ones that got back before me are unrung youngsters that came into me only a couple of days apart a few weeks ago. This was the first time they have been in a basket. Singled up from 15 miles and beat me back. Wish it was that easy with our own 😂😂😂
bkays

September 18th, 2019, 6:23 pm

Strays were handy for me. As our pigeons were always in good condition. We have 12 boxes in the garage screwed to the back wall. We used these as hospital cages or to keep strays in. When I started using the microscope. I would test strays for worms, coccidiosis and canker. Then treat them if they had any of those ailments. Then test them 10 days later to see if I cured them. Which I always did.

I've saved many pigeons from dying. Only once I couldn't save one. A neighbour gave me a lovely big grizzle cock but he had really bad internal bleeding.

Unlike Andy, when we would take the strays to our 5 mile training spot. Hardly any of them returned. The odd one or two who did never came back from 10 miles. I guess it's the location. I'm on the outskirts of a major city. Andy's in a town surrounded by countryside. Maybe because they see nothing but countryside for quite a few miles they bottle it and come back to you Andy.

We got many strays because of the pond. Even though our pigeons never drank from it. I guess the strays assume that's the water source for our pigeons. They would come down to drink from the pond, but then some wouldn't be able to take off and fly again.

Andy has a pond too. Maybe like us, that's the reason you attract many strays. Not only do they see a loft and pigeons. They see a water source too and think "this is alright" :D .
CDBL

September 18th, 2019, 6:46 pm

I think you're right Andy, birds are treated to some extent as commodities. I know this is how I used to see them. But also agree with bkays that some just think better here... probably for the same reason.

You think about any creature separated from its parents. Generally they will still recognise each other years apart.

I suppose the question is, do we think they have a level of emotional intelligence to differentiate between good and bad situations? Personally I think they do. As I've said before, apparently they're as intelligent as a 3 year old. :-)

Oh and... 50% returns Andy... tut tut :lol:

Return to “Updates”