CSCFC Guernsey 24/8/19

Andy will post updates his updates here.
trench

August 26th, 2019, 9:20 pm

Andy123 wrote:
August 25th, 2019, 10:39 am
Great results all round Steve. Yes a very good performance from your your Old Hen, Well done.

Just to show what a strange weekend it was, the 2 members that didn’t see any youngsters had been training them to the coast nearly every day for the last couple of weeks. About 45 miles. Another member who only sent 3 old hens and didn’t get any also sent 21 to Newton Abbot with the WOESRC, about 70 miles and only got 1 back.
There was certainly something strange this weekend Andy, our race was a real sticky one with alot of birds missing at the end of play Saturday.
Apparently Jed Jackson recond that if the sun and moon are both visible then you are in a tough race, both were visible Saturday and it certainly was a tough race.
Thankfully all but one of my missing birds turned up yesterday 👍
buster121

August 26th, 2019, 9:22 pm

Sun and moon been visible for a few days now Trench, has been a few races today have seen in some parts they have extended clock times as lots birds not home yet
Andy123

August 26th, 2019, 10:45 pm

I would also imagine that crossing the channel with clear blue skies could be harder than with some cloud. It must be harder for the birds to distinguish between sea and sky on the horizon. With over 70 miles of water to cross although visibility over the channel was said to be good, 15 to 20 miles this would still mean that the birds would have to have faith in themselves to fly with no visible horizon.
I may be completely wrong but this is my thoughts on it.
trench

August 27th, 2019, 9:00 pm

Andy123 wrote:
August 26th, 2019, 10:45 pm
I would also imagine that crossing the channel with clear blue skies could be harder than with some cloud. It must be harder for the birds to distinguish between sea and sky on the horizon. With over 70 miles of water to cross although visibility over the channel was said to be good, 15 to 20 miles this would still mean that the birds would have to have faith in themselves to fly with no visible horizon.
I may be completely wrong but this is my thoughts on it.
Funny you should say that Andy as apparently that was another thing Jed and Joan used to say, clear blue skies aren't good racing conditions either, much better to have good visibility with some cloud.
I do think there must have been a few fog patches around last weekend as well.
CDBL

August 28th, 2019, 5:05 am

Just catching up, I do have the same thoughts Andy in respect of the faith of a bird in its ability, I know for a fact (seen a picture) that pigeons will go up to Calais and cross there... Using the ferries. I Sh!t you not... There was a picture circulating somewhere with a rung bird chilling out on a ferry for the crossing. :lol: Anyway, well done on returns, looking good. :)
Not so retired racer, part time webmaster and part time distiller

Return to “Updates”