BICC Guernsey 17/8/19

Andy will post updates his updates here.
User avatar
Andy123
Posts: 8749
Joined: October 15th, 2016, 8:15 pm
Location: Wincanton, Somerset
Gender: Male - Male

August 10th, 2019, 11:57 am

I’ve been looking at the long range forecast for next weekends national with the BICC from Guernsey. At this present time, although the weather looks fine the wind is forecast to be W or WSW 30/40mph. Possibly stronger through the channel. Unless the wind drops significantly I won’t send. I have to decide fairly soon as marking is Thursday morning. The good thing with the BICC is that you don’t have to pre-enter, just turn up for marking on the day. Entries for the CSCFC have to be in by next Saturday, although you can add more on the day of marking. All pools and initial entries have to be paid for in advance. I know we want to test the birds but with that wind they would be dragged way across to the East of the country and have to fight their way back against the wind. I am very happy with the way that they have come on so far this year in some testing trainers and don’t want to throw them away. I know some would make it but being their first race I feel that the losses would be to high. I would love to give them some experience this year, but would like to have more yearlings to play with next year so going to be a bit sensible with it.
I was going to split the team between the two Guernsey’s, but if the wind doesn’t drop I will probably send most with the CSCFC the following week. Will then have to decide what I do after that race as far as going to Fougeres 196 miles.
Petedav
Posts: 3937
Joined: June 4th, 2016, 8:54 am
Location: Withernsea
Gender: Male - Male

August 10th, 2019, 3:48 pm

Sensible decision Andy.
User avatar
trench
Posts: 8976
Joined: October 30th, 2016, 9:55 pm
Location: West sussex
Gender: Male - Male

August 10th, 2019, 9:29 pm

Sounds like the right choice to me Andy, better to have the birds for next year. Does Clive keep training all through the season bruv ?? Would be good to keep the birds going with him anyway even if you do decide not to race them.
User avatar
lestheeagle
Posts: 1829
Joined: August 10th, 2018, 8:27 am
Location: Brighton
Gender: Male - Male

August 12th, 2019, 8:40 am

I'm going to leave it this weekend. Poor weather until Monday puts me off. Will aim for BBC at the end of the month.[ /b] 8-)
Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.
User avatar
Andy123
Posts: 8749
Joined: October 15th, 2016, 8:15 pm
Location: Wincanton, Somerset
Gender: Male - Male

August 12th, 2019, 9:32 am

lestheeagle wrote:
August 12th, 2019, 8:40 am
I'm going to leave it this weekend. Poor weather until Monday puts me off. Will aim for BBC at the end of the month.[ /b] 8-)


Still in two minds myself Les. The weather the following weekend for the CSCFC from Guernsey doesn’t look much better at present.
I am thinking of waiting until the BBC or BICC Fougeres races. That is 196 miles to me though. How far is it for you Les?
Having said that if I were to send in a strong WSW wind and they come in over the East of the country they would be flying further than that from Guernsey.
:?: :?:
User avatar
lestheeagle
Posts: 1829
Joined: August 10th, 2018, 8:27 am
Location: Brighton
Gender: Male - Male

August 12th, 2019, 9:37 am

180 to me Andy. You be flying 280 imho from Guernsey with the strong winds. Hopefully i'll get a Selsey toss in on Thurs/Fri. Mine are falling a part at the mo, so 1 hope they will be okay head wise, at the end of the month.
Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.
User avatar
trench
Posts: 8976
Joined: October 30th, 2016, 9:55 pm
Location: West sussex
Gender: Male - Male

August 12th, 2019, 9:56 pm

Tough decisions for you fellas, 180+ miles is a big first race for youngsters but with the right preparation and in the right conditions the better birds should make it although I think the losses could be high. But then I guess if you are aiming at the distance and your birds have a proven distance pedigree then they should be ok.
There is no guarantee that these winds are going to change much so I think I would take a chance and get a few away to Guernsey especially if the birds are at risk of falling apart, I guess that's where the darkness system helps.
All the best guys whatever decisions you make, will be routing for you both :D
User avatar
Andy123
Posts: 8749
Joined: October 15th, 2016, 8:15 pm
Location: Wincanton, Somerset
Gender: Male - Male

August 12th, 2019, 10:12 pm

lestheeagle wrote:
August 12th, 2019, 9:37 am
180 to me Andy. You be flying 280 imho from Guernsey with the strong winds. Hopefully i'll get a Selsey toss in on Thurs/Fri. Mine are falling a part at the mo, so 1 hope they will be okay head wise, at the end of the month.
I think that was the problem last year. I think they flew a lot more miles than they should have.
Having looked at the weather again today it is changing all the time. It does look like it will be a hold over or a midday lib which would be unlikely with some much longer flyers.
The weather for Sunday does seem better although still fairly windy and a WSW direction. A holdover doesn’t bother me as they will be in the baskets from Thursday morning anyway, so should certainly have eaten and drunk by the time they are liberated. All good training for them.
Some of mine are falling apart but others look in good condition so will have to see whether I send a few or not.
User avatar
CDBL
Posts: 2256
Joined: January 8th, 2017, 9:12 pm
Gender: Male - Male

August 13th, 2019, 10:19 am

Am sure you will make the right decision Andy :-)
Not so retired racer, part time webmaster and part time distiller
User avatar
trench
Posts: 8976
Joined: October 30th, 2016, 9:55 pm
Location: West sussex
Gender: Male - Male

August 13th, 2019, 6:43 pm

Looks like Saturday is definitely going to be a no go but apart from the South West wind Sunday looks good 👍with the race point being much further west than Fougeres Andy I think I would be tempted to send a few, are there many you know of your way that are likely to be sending ???
I would imagine there is every chance our race will be pushed back to Sunday again, unless the weather forecast changes it will definitely be a hold over.
Post Reply

Return to “Updates”