A real testing trainer for Barcelona youngsters.

Andy will post updates his updates here.
buster121

September 28th, 2019, 6:29 am

killer wrote:
September 28th, 2019, 1:22 am
We Just Flew the Same Distance 3 weeks ago { Peterbourgha in South Australia 1130 k to me Wollongong } ; you need Stamina & brains alright ;our 1st bird home is 9 months old & a Cock our 2nd 3rd & 4th Home to us 8 months Old& Hens all related ; I doubled back our 2nd bird to Launceston 830 k close to 400k over open Ocean the Roaring 40's as they call it ; her last 2 races's she did nearly 2000 k in 2 weeks ; best of luck with your venture over there . cheers
That's some going Killer, how do you build them up for that distance
Andy123

September 28th, 2019, 8:24 am

Well done Killer, a very long way for what are basically youngsters.
devo56

September 28th, 2019, 9:05 am

Well done killer, some going that for youngsters.
trench

September 28th, 2019, 2:58 pm

killer wrote:
We Just Flew the Same Distance 3 weeks ago { Peterbourgha in South Australia 1130 k to me Wollongong } ; you need Stamina & brains alright ;our 1st bird home is 9 months old & a Cock our 2nd 3rd & 4th Home to us 8 months Old& Hens all related ; I doubled back our 2nd bird to Launceston 830 k close to 400k over open Ocean the Roaring 40's as they call it ; her last 2 races's she did nearly 2000 k in 2 weeks ; best of luck with your venture over there . cheers
Well done mate, some gutsy birds you have there especially that little hen.
A tough programme for such young pigeons.
Muzza

September 28th, 2019, 10:18 pm

The Bendigo club flew from Olary in South Australia yesterday. 385 miles. Only 2 pigeons on the result. Both this year's pigeons.

It's tough going over here.
Regards,

Murray
trench

September 29th, 2019, 5:57 pm

Muzza wrote:
September 28th, 2019, 10:18 pm
The Bendigo club flew from Olary in South Australia yesterday. 385 miles. Only 2 pigeons on the result. Both this year's pigeons.

It's tough going over here.
It sounds it mate, maybe we should be looking over that way for our stock birds :D
killer

September 30th, 2019, 1:12 am

buster121 wrote:
September 28th, 2019, 6:29 am
killer wrote:
We Just Flew the Same Distance 3 weeks ago { Peterbourgha in South Australia 1130 k to me Wollongong } ; you need Stamina & brains alright ;our 1st bird home is 9 months old & a Cock our 2nd 3rd & 4th Home to us 8 months Old& Hens all related ; I doubled back our 2nd bird to Launceston 850 k close to 400k over open Ocean the Roaring 40's as they call it ; her last 2 races's she did nearly 2000 k in 2 weeks ; best of luck with your venture over there . cheers
That's some going Killer, how do you build them up for that distance
killer

September 30th, 2019, 1:26 am

Buster ;a very good Question ; I could give you a Long Answer ; but I believe they must be cut from the right Cloth ;I like the grandparents to be 4 long distance birds from all distance blood ;& the parents to have race performances both or atleast one of them anyway; too many people today like crossing Sprint or Middle distance blood into them ;but the extreame distance must have all long distance blood ;you also need a lot of luck to race the long one's ; so if you have the blood & stay healthy ;getting fit is a whole lot easier ; feed may come into it?but fit healthy long distance birds can be jumped ;' the 4 we got raced 200 miles south 3 weeks in a row only ; then 2 weeks spell & jumped 700 miles off the West having never flow an inch in that direction ;hope that may answer your question with out boring you ; cheers
Muzza

September 30th, 2019, 8:21 am

killer wrote:
Buster ;a very good Question ; I could give you a Long Answer ; but I believe they must be cut from the right Cloth ;I like the grandparents to be 4 long distance birds from all distance blood ;& the parents to have race performances both or atleast one of them anyway; too many people today like crossing Sprint or Middle distance blood into them ;but the extreame distance must have all long distance blood ;you also need a lot of luck to race the long one's ; so if you have the blood & stay healthy ;getting fit is a whole lot easier ; feed may come into it?but fit healthy long distance birds can be jumped ;' the 4 we got raced 200 miles south 3 weeks in a row only ; then 2 weeks spell & jumped 700 miles off the West having never flow an inch in that direction ;hope that may answer your question with out boring you ; cheers
Killer hit the nail on the head.

The lofts that consistently win the very long races have been bred from pigeons which have succeeded in very long races.

I do believe that it is a choice. You either breed from nothing but real long distance strains and aim for those races, or cross some 'speed' into them to compete in the rest of the program.

In the majority of cases, you cannot have both.
Regards,

Murray
Andy123

September 30th, 2019, 12:39 pm

Muzza wrote:
September 30th, 2019, 8:21 am
killer wrote:
Killer hit the nail on the head.

The lofts that consistently win the very long races have been bred from pigeons which have succeeded in very long races.

I do believe that it is a choice. You either breed from nothing but real long distance strains and aim for those races, or cross some 'speed' into them to compete in the rest of the program.

In the majority of cases, you cannot have both.
I think your right Muzza. Marathon racing is totally different I think from even 400-500 miles. With 400-500 mile races you need a bit of speed as these can be day races. So by trying to cross speed into marathon pigeons will only be any good up to 500 miles in my opinion. I think marathon pigeons need to be wise as well as relatively quick. They will have to fly many miles and probably hours on their own. They will in most cases have to spend at least one night out, so not only do we want pigeons that are prepared to fly for many hours on the day they also need to be able to find a safe resting place for the night, know where to find water and then be prepared to get up early the next morning to go again for several hours. We don’t want to be pigeons that are finished after one day.
Yes you need pigeons bred for the job from proven pigeons. This is where our venture is going to take some time. We could fast track it by buying in proven marathon pigeons but that would be against what we are trying to achieve. We will breed a marathon family of our own based around pigeons tested from our members. Although I am breeding a few of the second generation birds from pigeons that we already have here from members that as yet are not proven at the extreme distance, they will be from the ones that have done the best so far or the ones that I think are showing most promise at present. Obviously the standards and criteria used will be higher in time.
Although I have had pigeons in from several different members and most have sent a bit of information about the breeding of them in I am not taking any of this into consideration. All this has been filed for future reference if required but as far as I’m concerned they have no pedigree so I am not influenced at all in my decisions. I will just build our own pedigrees as we go along and mix the different birds together to produce what I hope will be a successful family. The breeding side is still the side that I like most and get great satisfaction from breeding good birds from my own breeding. Any new birds coming in over the next few years will be treated exactly the same and, if good enough, just blended into what we already have. Although it will be great getting a pigeon from Barcelona bred by any one of our members, Wouldn’t it be great if we get pigeons flying from Barcelona that are bred from a mixture of our members birds.

Return to “Updates”