A real testing trainer for Barcelona youngsters.

Andy will post updates his updates here.
trench

September 30th, 2019, 7:30 pm

killer wrote:
September 30th, 2019, 1:26 am
Buster ;a very good Question ; I could give you a Long Answer ; but I believe they must be cut from the right Cloth ;I like the grandparents to be 4 long distance birds from all distance blood ;& the parents to have race performances both or atleast one of them anyway; too many people today like crossing Sprint or Middle distance blood into them ;but the extreame distance must have all long distance blood ;you also need a lot of luck to race the long one's ; so if you have the blood & stay healthy ;getting fit is a whole lot easier ; feed may come into it?but fit healthy long distance birds can be jumped ;' the 4 we got raced 200 miles south 3 weeks in a row only ; then 2 weeks spell & jumped 700 miles off the West having never flow an inch in that direction ;hope that may answer your question with out boring you ; cheers
A great, honest and true explanation Killer. To compete at extreme distance the birds need to have that proven pedigree and even then we need to understand that most of the offspring won't make the grade.
Well done again mate, a cracking result.
Good luck for the future.
trench

September 30th, 2019, 7:36 pm

Andy123 wrote:
September 30th, 2019, 12:39 pm
Muzza wrote:
September 30th, 2019, 8:21 am
killer wrote:
Buster ;a very good Question ; I could give you a Long Answer ; but I believe they must be cut from the right Cloth ;I like the grandparents to be 4 long distance birds from all distance blood ;& the parents to have race performances both or atleast one of them anyway; too many people today like crossing Sprint or Middle distance blood into them ;but the extreame distance must have all long distance blood ;you also need a lot of luck to race the long one's ; so if you have the blood & stay healthy ;getting fit is a whole lot easier ; feed may come into it?but fit healthy long distance birds can be jumped ;' the 4 we got raced 200 miles south 3 weeks in a row only ; then 2 weeks spell & jumped 700 miles off the West having never flow an inch in that direction ;hope that may answer your question with out boring you ; cheers
Killer hit the nail on the head.

The lofts that consistently win the very long races have been bred from pigeons which have succeeded in very long races.

I do believe that it is a choice. You either breed from nothing but real long distance strains and aim for those races, or cross some 'speed' into them to compete in the rest of the program.

In the majority of cases, you cannot have both.
I think your right Muzza. Marathon racing is totally different I think from even 400-500 miles. With 400-500 mile races you need a bit of speed as these can be day races. So by trying to cross speed into marathon pigeons will only be any good up to 500 miles in my opinion. I think marathon pigeons need to be wise as well as relatively quick. They will have to fly many miles and probably hours on their own. They will in most cases have to spend at least one night out, so not only do we want pigeons that are prepared to fly for many hours on the day they also need to be able to find a safe resting place for the night, know where to find water and then be prepared to get up early the next morning to go again for several hours. We don’t want to be pigeons that are finished after one day.
Yes you need pigeons bred for the job from proven pigeons. This is where our venture is going to take some time. We could fast track it by buying in proven marathon pigeons but that would be against what we are trying to achieve. We will breed a marathon family of our own based around pigeons tested from our members. Although I am breeding a few of the second generation birds from pigeons that we already have here from members that as yet are not proven at the extreme distance, they will be from the ones that have done the best so far or the ones that I think are showing most promise at present. Obviously the standards and criteria used will be higher in time.
Although I have had pigeons in from several different members and most have sent a bit of information about the breeding of them in I am not taking any of this into consideration. All this has been filed for future reference if required but as far as I’m concerned they have no pedigree so I am not influenced at all in my decisions. I will just build our own pedigrees as we go along and mix the different birds together to produce what I hope will be a successful family. The breeding side is still the side that I like most and get great satisfaction from breeding good birds from my own breeding. Any new birds coming in over the next few years will be treated exactly the same and, if good enough, just blended into what we already have. Although it will be great getting a pigeon from Barcelona bred by any one of our members, Wouldn’t it be great if we get pigeons flying from Barcelona that are bred from a mixture of our members birds.
As we have said before Andy, building a reliable team of long distance pigeons from scratch takes a lot of time, patience and tears. Getting the odd bird to do it once doesn't mean we have cracked it, getting several birds to do it again and again is something else.
trench

September 30th, 2019, 7:52 pm

Muzza wrote:
September 30th, 2019, 8:21 am
killer wrote:
Killer hit the nail on the head.

The lofts that consistently win the very long races have been bred from pigeons which have succeeded in very long races.

I do believe that it is a choice. You either breed from nothing but real long distance strains and aim for those races, or cross some 'speed' into them to compete in the rest of the program.

In the majority of cases, you cannot have both.
I think if you have the space, time and money to keep sprint and distance families keeping some pure and some crossed then you have a chance to compete from all distances if the conditions are right but in most cases we have to choose our preferred distances and just keep birds that suit.
I have distance blood lines in my loft and don't expect these birds to go up to the 500mile mark for another 2 or 3 years yet, I have also introduced some middle distance birds with the hope of competing a little better from the shorter races. I am only flying for fun these days and don't at this point see myself doing any more than club and fed racing. I will always struggle to compete with the widowhood fanciers in our fed along the coast and we only go up 450miles across the water so the team I am building suits me at this point.

Return to “Updates”