Old bird round up and moving forward.

Andy will post updates his updates here.
bkays

July 11th, 2019, 9:01 am

I can't speak for the other members who sent Andy pigeons. It's clear that the ones we sent Andy. Only the dark chequer hen was any good. I was confident she would have made a good distance bird. Her half brother (southwell) won a 500 mile on the day race along with other placings. He also went to Barcelona which was his 7th channel race I think.

The dam was from a hen bred from 1st and 2nd Palamos BBC 720 miles I think. What we send Andy was bred for the job of racing long/extreme distances and winning.

I'm almost positive she got taken by a peregrine. Which was a real sickner at the time but it's so common now.

As what direction Andy wants to go in. Is totally up to him. We've met the man twice now and my father and I are over the moon to have him as a friend.
trench

July 11th, 2019, 9:13 am

I'm not going to add much to this debate but firstly I will say that Andy's stockmanship is first class and his ability to breed and race pigeons is spot on.
I think members sending Andy birds are more than aware that many birds won't be make it in this tough venture. Over the last couple of years I have spent a lot of time talking to Des Coulter who as many of you know was a very successful marathon flier, we have talked about many top distance men who all have different approaches to racing the distance but all of them agree that it takes a lot of time and patience.
One thing Des himself thinks is vital to success is the training of youngsters, he would start training them very young from all directions starting at only a couple of miles and gradually building this up over time, he would also single up his youngsters as much as he could, again starting at just a couple of miles, I know Andy doesn't have time for this.
Another good distance man who some may know (George Burgess) used to say that to get a good team of distance birds you have to try to loose them, this idea was a bit harsh to Des but worked for George.
I also remember being told many years ago that if you breed 100 youngsters you might be lucky and get one good one.
For me it's about letting the birds develope and I am quite happy to wait until the birds are two or even three years old before pushing them on too far.
Andy and I have always had a very different approach to racing pigeons but have both had some success over the years, he is much harder on his birds than I am and I know he will find a system and build a team that works to suit him. I hope that the members that are still happy to participate in this venture continue to give Andy their support.
All the best.
trench

July 11th, 2019, 9:20 am

bkays wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 9:01 am
I can't speak for the other members who sent Andy pigeons. It's clear that the ones we sent Andy. Only the dark chequer hen was any good. I was confident she would have made a good distance bird. Her half brother (southwell) won a 500 mile on the day race along with other placings. He also went to Barcelona which was his 7th channel race I think.

The dam was from a hen bred from 1st and 2nd Palamos BBC 720 miles I think. What we send Andy was bred for the job of racing long/extreme distances and winning.

I'm almost positive she got taken by a peregrine. Which was a real sickner at the time but it's so common now.

As what direction Andy wants to go in. Is totally up to him. We've met the man twice now and my father and I are over the moon to have him as a friend.
Southwells were/are a top extreme distance line that I believe still perform well today Ben. I had a Southwells Cock bird purchased in a breeder buyer sale from A&T Deacon, this bird in one season was in the clock from 348miles, 431miles and 552miles in 5 weeks, he was also in the clock from Lerwick 650miles the following year.
I think Seagulls are a bigger problem over the water than birds of prey.
Petedav

July 11th, 2019, 9:33 am

I can only speak for myself on this matter but I feel Andy is doing a cracking job with the pigeons, yes there as been losses but who hasn't lost birds this year, I know I have, I wonder how many the likes of mark Gilbert or g&c cooper have lost, and they will have started with a hell of a lot more pigeons, I heard mark Gilbert sent 250 pigeons to one race, how many of them did he get back . I believe Andy is still the right man for the job and I am more than happy to keep on supporting him and sending birds to be tested. Any one who isn't happy as the choice of whether or not they want to continue with the venture, but I think coming on here to knock his methods or other members birds is very childish . But as I say I am only speaking for myself and always have and will be grateful to Andy for giving me the opportunity to try and get one of my birds to Barcelona. Thanks Andy.
rainbow

July 11th, 2019, 10:46 am

the point i'm trying to make is even if you have to ask a friend or another club member to breed you a pair of ybs to do 500 +mls if you think yours won't but only send birds that may do the job for me and i'm only being honest as long I have a bird in it I will the loft is not moving forward the racing this year showed that i'm not going to say nice things just to please members I tell it as I see it
buster121

July 11th, 2019, 12:26 pm

Petedav wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 9:33 am
I can only speak for myself on this matter but I feel Andy is doing a cracking job with the pigeons, yes there as been losses but who hasn't lost birds this year, I know I have, I wonder how many the likes of mark Gilbert or g&c cooper have lost, and they will have started with a hell of a lot more pigeons, I heard mark Gilbert sent 250 pigeons to one race, how many of them did he get back . I believe Andy is still the right man for the job and I am more than happy to keep on supporting him and sending birds to be tested. Any one who isn't happy as the choice of whether or not they want to continue with the venture, but I think coming on here to knock his methods or other members birds is very childish . But as I say I am only speaking for myself and always have and will be grateful to Andy for giving me the opportunity to try and get one of my birds to Barcelona. Thanks Andy.
Well said Pete totally agree with you
rainbow

July 11th, 2019, 5:30 pm

buster i'm not talking about losses i'm talking about results but lets see how the ybs preform they could well turn out to be cracking pigeons I hope so and I would be pleased for Andy
trench

July 11th, 2019, 7:27 pm

Part of the beauty of this sport is that there are so many different views and opinions and we are all entitled to air/share them without fear of reproach, it will be a sad day when we are unable to do that.
All the best.

Return to “Updates”