Latest update on Barcelona loft & knowing your pigeons

Andy will post updates his updates here.
Andy123

February 9th, 2019, 12:21 pm

Just going to mention to start a bit of a problem I had with one of our Barcelona hens this week, which shows what you can notice when you know your pigeons, although it was pretty obvious.
It was the Dark Chequer hen from Grizzlecock GB18B02726 who was our first bird back fro the Guernsey race.
It may have just been coincidence, but probably a result of, after vaccinating last Saturday all seemed fine with all the birds until Wednesday morning.
This hen is usually one of the first out when I open the loft up in the morning and when feeding she will always sit on my shoulder pestering me for some peanuts. When I opened the loft up on Wednesday morning she didn’t want to go out, so straight away I thought things weren’t right with her. I scraped out the loft as usual and then went to feed them. She wasn’t interested in any food and just stayed in her box perch. As you know, and probably against what most would do, I won’t treat for anything or separate any. I wouldn’t vaccinate if we didn’t have to. I just keep an eye on them and give them a couple of days to get over it. My thinking is that by doing this it builds up the immunity both within the said pigeon and possibly the loft as a whole. If no improvement after a few days they would be disposed of. Well on the Thursday she was much the same, didn’t want to go out or eat and her droppings were very watery. Looked ok in herself. Yesterday because of the weather they didn’t go out but although her droppings were still watery she did come and sit on my shoulder and had a couple of peanuts. They haven’t gone out again today, partly due to the weather and partly due to the sparrow hawk in the garden yesterday. This morning though, while I was cleaning out, the Dark hen wouldn’t leave me alone. She was sat on my back or shoulder the whole time I was cleaning out. When I went to feed them she kept pecking me on the side of my face wanting her peanuts. Her droppings are still a bit watery but I put this down to the fact that she has eaten very little over the last couple of days. All the other birds in the loft have been fine.

On another note. As I didn’t split them up this year they have been pairing up with who they want and been laying on and off during the winter, with the eggs replaced with pot eggs. The odds ones being laid now are going to be kept with the youngsters then being part of the Barcelona team. They haven’t particularly paired up in the way that I would have chosen, but at this early stage who are our best birds anyway?? So this year I will be taking a round of youngsters from all the Barcelona birds that we have left from last year. As the loft develops and the birds get more proven the base line for breeding from them will increase. I’m hoping that by the end of this season I have got a few birds that would have done 400+ miles. So next year the base line could be the odd yearlings that do well as youngbirds and anything that has flown over let say 300+ miles. The following year this may well increase to those that have flown 400+ then 500+ and so on. This will obviously be reviewed each winter depending on how many birds we have in the loft and how many have achieved the distance races, so this is just a guide to my thinking. It’s all about trying to improve the quality of our stock every year through selective breeding and basket work.

Won’t be long now before we have youngsters coming into the loft for this year.
I have sent out 28 of my rings and know of at least 6 more that will be coming, so won’t breed that many myself but we should have a team of around 40.

Looking forward to this coming season.
buster121

February 9th, 2019, 1:57 pm

Glad she is recovering Andy, I still think vaccination and cold weather is a no no each to there own though, also the cold weather itself affects droppings as well so could be all 3 things
Andy123

February 9th, 2019, 2:43 pm

buster121 wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 1:57 pm
Glad she is recovering Andy, I still think vaccination and cold weather is a no no each to there own though, also the cold weather itself affects droppings as well so could be all 3 things
I must admit Buster I had never given a thought about the cold weather when vaccinating in the past and if it may effect them. Worth considering in the future.
trench

February 9th, 2019, 4:41 pm

Good report again Andy, pleased to hear the hen seems to be recovering well. That's a note to put on her records though, could show a weakness.
A good long term plan there, hope this year's breeding goes well and look forward to seeing this year's team as it develops.
Good luck.
devo56

February 9th, 2019, 4:48 pm

A great report mate, some great feedback for the members. The numbers in the loft will rise soon, so well done.
bkays

February 9th, 2019, 5:09 pm

Fairly common to have pigeons feel under the weather after the PMV vaccine. Same thing with dogs after the Parvo vaccine. Some have no effect at all. Others get a bit of diarrhea for a couple of days.

Just depends how overreactive the immune system is in each individual.
Andy123

February 10th, 2019, 12:12 pm

Back to herself today.
F539306E-EF7C-4AB7-9491-D3428B7A6178.jpeg
F365BEEA-B6F3-4E70-A2C3-EDDCF807D7E3.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
buster121

February 10th, 2019, 12:29 pm

She's nice Andy, glad she ok
trench

February 10th, 2019, 9:05 pm

Good to see Andy, well done.
CDBL

February 11th, 2019, 8:39 am

Lovey looking bird that. Great report Andy. Really looking forward to seeing this again this year. Be interesting to see how the yearlings get on this year as well!
WEBMASTER @
www.goldenwingschallenge.com
SCIENCE GEEK @
www.hydroviticulture.com
RACING RPRA OLR 19 @
DEVER & LLOYD

Return to “Updates”