Site Admin

May 11th, 2017, 9:27 pm

We need know numbers before we sort all the details reason for the post mate
Name: Chris Roscoe
Club: Rushden and Ruands South Road Flying Club
Fed: Mid Northants South Road
Bryngwynt

May 11th, 2017, 9:31 pm

Im interested just want more info like Buster says,I would offer to breed a youngster as well.
Some results we have reported in 2018
1st x 11
2nd x 7
3rd x 4
4th x 5
5th x 6
PVDMR

May 11th, 2017, 9:32 pm

Worth a shot,Might send one of mine🤔
Andy123

May 11th, 2017, 9:50 pm

I must admit I'm not a big fan of OLR's, but I would be willing to be part of a syndicate. It could add a bit of interest over the winter. A couple of points though. Chris says that the pick up dates for youngsters are June, July and September, October. If you went for the last date and the youngsters were 5 weeks old when sent, they would only be 4 months old when racing starts and would still only 6 months old when expected to race the final race of 279 mls. If youngsters were sent with the first pick up they will almost be yearlings come the final race. It does appear that there is going to be a big spread of different aged birds. The other problem I could in visage is the moult. The older youngsters would probably have gone right through the moult, the younger ones would only have just started so the date of sending youngsters would be quite important to have them at the right stage for the races.
Just my thoughts, I may be wrong.
Bryngwynt

May 11th, 2017, 10:00 pm

Andy123 wrote:
I must admit I'm not a big fan of OLR's, but I would be willing to be part of a syndicate. It could add a bit of interest over the winter. A couple of points though. Chris says that the pick up dates for youngsters are June, July and September, October. If you went for the last date and the youngsters were 5 weeks old when sent, they would only be 4 months old when racing starts and would still only 6 months old when expected to race the final race of 279 mls. If youngsters were sent with the first pick up they will almost be yearlings come the final race. It does appear that there is going to be a big spread of different aged birds. The other problem I could in visage is the moult. The older youngsters would probably have gone right through the moult, the younger ones would only have just started so the date of sending youngsters would be quite important to have them at the right stage for the races.
Some good points raised by Andy on his post.
Some results we have reported in 2018
1st x 11
2nd x 7
3rd x 4
4th x 5
5th x 6
PVDMR

May 11th, 2017, 10:10 pm

Bryngwynt wrote:
May 11th, 2017, 10:00 pm
Andy123 wrote:
Some good points raised by Andy on his post.
I agree with you there Andy ;)
Think I will give it a miss!
Atb to you who do send.
trench

May 11th, 2017, 11:05 pm

As with Andy OLRs are new to me and not something I would enter myself, partly because of cost and partly because I want the pleasure of racing my own birds.
I do however feel they have a place in our sport, especially for those unable to race themselves for whatever reason.
As far as this one goes, if enough of us want to take part there is still time to meet the June/July pick ups. This way we get the best of both worlds, those who want to send birds can do so at a fraction of the cost and those like me who just want the added interest at an affordable price can also do so.
I assume the age variation is the same in most OLRs and is even similar in our own organisations. Most clubs have the longest young bird race towards the end of the season and most of us will send 1st, 2nd and even 3rd round youngsters to it.
Jmo, also could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time :lol:
rainbow

May 12th, 2017, 5:35 am

heard of fanciers sending ybs after been flying out and doing very well with them
devo56

May 12th, 2017, 6:50 am

rainbow wrote:
May 12th, 2017, 5:35 am
heard of fanciers sending ybs after been flying out and doing very well with them
Yes that is right George, some youngsters are trained to race back to their loft and learn how to trap, before going over there. Some good points raised by Andy too. I would rather send older youngsters to this type of O L R because of the demands of flying over water. They need to be well in their body to be able to show their true potential, i feel sending younger birds would be setting them up to fail. just my thoughts.
ChrisRoscoe
Site Admin

May 12th, 2017, 10:40 am

well we just need to deside what date to send and when we need to get the money in and who is sending the 5 birds then :) either way i would like to send no matter what
Name: Chris Roscoe
Club: Rushden and Ruands South Road Flying Club
Fed: Mid Northants South Road

Return to “Chit Chat”