Notifications
Clear all

Loft number

Donski
(@donski)
Eminent Member Registered
Topic starter  

Hi all..
Pigeons are doing well. So a good start so far. Still not had anything back from the RPRA as yet. Just wondering about loft numbers.. do you automatically get one once you are accepted by the RPRA ? I see I need one for ordering rings etc.
cheers
Don

Snowfields Loft
(in the making) 😀

rainbow
(@rainbow)
Famed Member Registered

what region are you in

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

Good morning Don.

Contact your regional secretary and she will sort it for you.

You can either order your rings then through the RPRA or if you then decide which club you wish to join most clubs will order rings on your behalf.

SOUTHERN REGION:
Mrs H Marsh
Oakley, Southampton Road
Cadnam, Southampton
Hants SO40 2NF
Tel: 02380 813618
Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Oxfordshire, Hampshire, Surrey, West Sussex, East Sussex, Isle of Wight

ATB Andy

ReplyQuote
Donski
(@donski)
Topic starter  

So you do automatically get a number?
I sent off me £10 and application 3 weeks ago but not had anything back as yet.. I'll give it a few more days, dont want to be a pest, and then maybe give her a call.
Cheers
Don

Snowfields Loft
(in the making) 😀

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

So you do automatically get a number?
I sent off me £10 and application 3 weeks ago but not had anything back as yet.. I'll give it a few more days, dont want to be a pest, and then maybe give her a call.
Cheers
Don

Loft number usually sent with membership card, I would chase that one mate, does not normally take that long, Don if you have or are joining a club rings tend to be cheaper there than buying through RPRA

ReplyQuote
Donski
(@donski)
Topic starter  

Great thanks for that. I'll give them a chase. I got my copies of homing world which have been very helpful.

Keith Motts' videos have really been a help. I guess for my first season I will just be flying young birds pretty much on the natural system. One thing about breeding which i've not really found an answer to.. What age do they usually start pairing and breeding ? ie: will the 2019 young birds be attempting to rear eggs in their first year or will they not start until the following year? Also If I leave my stock pairs together how many rounds will they give me in 2019? should I maybe take eggs away or separate them to prevent over breeding ?

Cheers
Don

Snowfields Loft
(in the making) 😀

ReplyQuote
lestheeagle
(@lestheeagle)
Famed Member Registered

I paid my 2019 subs last month. Hazel Marsh said she would send card when she received them.

Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

Great thanks for that. I'll give them a chase. I got my copies of homing world which have been very helpful.

Keith Motts' videos have really been a help. I guess for my first season I will just be flying young birds pretty much on the natural system. One thing about breeding which i've not really found an answer to.. What age do they usually start pairing and breeding ? ie: will the 2019 young birds be attempting to rear eggs in their first year or will they not start until the following year? Also If I leave my stock pairs together how many rounds will they give me in 2019? should I maybe take eggs away or separate them to prevent over breeding ?

Cheers
Don

If the youngsters are bred early they will be looking to pair up before the end of the racing season. Will usually start at about 6 months old. If you left your stock birds together they would breed all year round if you left their eggs with them. They would roughly have a round of youngsters every 8 weeks. 10 days from pairing to laying, 19 days to hatching, 24/28 days to weaning. By which time they will be looking to go down again. You could increase the number of rounds from your best pairs, if you wish, by floating the eggs under another pair that laid at the same time. I wouldn’t personally allow them to rear anymore than 3 rounds a year at the most. Replace their eggs with pot eggs when finished breeding from.

ReplyQuote
Donski
(@donski)
Topic starter  

Aha! I heard the term floating eggs so I know what it means now :). If you take their eggs away will they lay another round faster ?

Snowfields Loft
(in the making) 😀

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

If you remove the eggs at around 8/10 days they will look to go down again, and should do so about 10 days later.

ReplyQuote
stevekulpa
(@stevekulpa)
Noble Member Registered

Your application will be treated for next year if hazel process's it now it may mean you will have to pay again for 2019.I dont know when the RPRA year starts.
If you joined a club they would do it for you but again most clubs don't have their AGM until the new year and again the sub's wouldn't be taken until after the AGM.
Steve

ReplyQuote
Donski
(@donski)
Topic starter  

I wondered if that was the case.. I’d be happy to pay again in March , just happier to have a loft number in case I need to ring my first borns/hatched. Do you need to be approved at the AGM ?
Also I have no reference to local clubs.. nothing on the RPRA website or by googling.. I was hoping the starter pack would point me in that direction. Nothing in BHW... Reading elsewhere here and also a letter from BHW why would clubs refuse you membership? Do they have limited numbers..
Still a lot to learn 🙂
Cheers
Don

Snowfields Loft
(in the making) 😀

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

Your application will be treated for next year if hazel process's it now it may mean you will have to pay again for 2019.I dont know when the RPRA year starts.
If you joined a club they would do it for you but again most clubs don't have their AGM until the new year and again the sub's wouldn't be taken until after the AGM.
Steve

You are right Steve. You will have to be voted in to which ever club you choose. As long as you are in their radius you are very unlikely not to be voted in. This wouldn’t be until after their AGM though.
You should still be able to get a loft number from your regional secretary and get some rings. It does say on the RPRA forum that membership applications should be sent to the regional secretary. I would contact the RPRA ASAP to see what has happened to your cheque. It would be stupid if new starters had to wait until after their clubs AGM’s to be able to get rings.

ReplyQuote
rainbow
(@rainbow)
Famed Member Registered

found Hazel to be very slow sometimes was wwhy I asked what region

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)

I wondered if that was the case.. I’d be happy to pay again in March , just happier to have a loft number in case I need to ring my first borns/hatched. Do you need to be approved at the AGM ?
Also I have no reference to local clubs.. nothing on the RPRA website or by googling.. I was hoping the starter pack would point me in that direction. Nothing in BHW... Reading elsewhere here and also a letter from BHW why would clubs refuse you membership? Do they have limited numbers..
Still a lot to learn 🙂
Cheers
Don

Sorry to hear it's taking a while mate, I hope you get it all sorted soon. I'd message Hazel again (regional Secretary) as she should be able to give you all the information you need. I also can't see you having any problems getting into a club once you have decided which one to go with.
All the best.

ReplyQuote