01/07/2020 10:34 pm  

Nice offer Trev. 

ReplyQuote
Saul
 Saul
(@saul)
Trusted Member Registered
20/07/2020 7:28 pm  

How do you go about breaking up a breeding pair? Ive got 2 6x6 sections, one for YB and one for the 3 breeding pairs and chicks. One of my pairs is a "Logan" cock and a garden dove, I let them get on with it as I wanted the cock to stick around. Do I separate the males and females in with the YB over the winter then select the pairings myself in the spring, or just do the tough thing with the dove, theres 4 other Logan YB from a Logan x Logan pair who will be mature by next spring.

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
20/07/2020 8:03 pm  
Posted by: @saul

How do you go about breaking up a breeding pair? Ive got 2 6x6 sections, one for YB and one for the 3 breeding pairs and chicks. One of my pairs is a "Logan" cock and a garden dove, I let them get on with it as I wanted the cock to stick around. Do I separate the males and females in with the YB over the winter then select the pairings myself in the spring, or just do the tough thing with the dove, theres 4 other Logan YB from a Logan x Logan pair who will be mature by next spring.

You've pretty much answered your own question mate. What I would do is a couple of months before you want to pair up is to seperate the cocks and hens (both young and old birds) leave the cock birds in with the nest boxes and the hens in the youngbird section. Then when you are ready to pair up shut your selected pairs together in the cocks chosen nest box, they will usually settle quite quickly but you will have to watch them to make sure the cocks don't get too aggressive. The biggest pain with separating them is exercising them as of course you will need to let cocks and hens out separately which can be difficult if you are working during the winter months. You might find the dove useful again one day so give her a chance 🤠👍

All the best mate 

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
21/07/2020 7:53 am  

As Trev says just split them up during the winter. Doesn’t even need to be for too long. Put the young cocks in the old bird section with the old cocks you have and put all the hens in the young bird section. This will allow the cocks time to select their nest boxes. Then you just need to introduce the hens you select to the cocks of your Choice. 

ReplyQuote
Page 14 / 14