floor slats wooden

Talk about anything racing pigeon related here aslong as there isnt a section for it.
wynands56

i see some lofts have the entire loft floor done in floor grills looks good but can mice not get into loft or worse
king

Not for me. Either scrape out or have deep litter. Floor slats/floor grills are just making harder work down the line.
NeilA

I have them in my hens
The cocks I don’t bother to as there droppings should be in the box pretty much
Andy

The only time I had floor grills was when I had a concrete base. I then had 3 layers of house bricks with the loft on top. The grills then sat on bricks giving a good space underneath. I just lifted the grills a couple of times a year to clear out underneath. Mice/rats couldn’t get in because of the concrete base and bricks. It did work well. But I do prefer scraping out. I scrape out twice a day. I think this is the best way to see how the birds health is. Even with deep litter you can’t see properly what the droppings are like.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Trev

I personally have never liked the idea of grills, I like the birds to walk around the loft and can't see that they are very comfortable really, I certainly wouldn't want to walk in them lol. We've got them in the fed baskets and I hate them !! It's just my preference though and I know a lot of fanciers do use them, they can get very smelly though and attract the flies in the summer if you don't regularly clean under them though.
As I say, just my personal preference.
Murray

Not for me. My loft floor is plywood, scraped twice daily.
I knew a bloke who had grated floors, and was always treating for respiratory disease. Finally he put a wooden floor over them and never had another problem. His loft was low to the ground and the droppings fell into a pit. Might have been part of the problem.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
wynands56

cheers lads for info so i wont be getting them