Observation

Want to know anything about feeding or the health of your birds post it here.
Devo1956

This plays a very big area of the sport, i spent so many hours just watching my birds. Also keeping notes on different traits from the birds old and young. The time to get your young birds tame, and your older birds calm around the loft. Worth every minute i would say.
George and Morgan

have to be honest Dev mine are not tame one bird that come from a olr is very tame as is the grizzle cock
Devo1956

George and Morgan wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:51 pm have to be honest Dev mine are not tame one bird that come from a olr is very tame as is the grizzle cock
You always said i spent too much time in the lofts, ;) ;) ;)
George and Morgan

and doctor would agree birds left my old dad very ill
Devo1956

George and Morgan wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:02 pm and doctor would agree birds left my old dad very ill
Yes mate, i guess you were right.
George and Morgan

no one said wear a mask in those days Dev
Devo1956

George and Morgan wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:10 pm no one said wear a mask in those days Dev
Yes mate i understand, as the years went by. The likes of ventilation played a big part in changes of the loft, and protective clothing. This all made a big difference of spending time in the loft.
Andy

Yes mate. Observation does play a major part in success. Knowing your pigeons is key to judging when they are right. If you know your pigeons you can tell the second you go into the loft if something isn’t right. Or alternatively when one is bouncing with form.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
George and Morgan

what i have noticed this year birds slow at laying and ybs not fat as in previous years they have been fat on just corn so not going to feed them something to fatten them up it may be most are new birds i have now and much slimer
Devo1956

While on a loft visit in Germany, we were chatting about Blue Tongue on the race birds, Leon brought up the subject of the size of the pigeon rings. He said the German rings were smaller than other European rings, the blue Tongue can be from blood circulation. and also the birds diet of too much protein., So the birds should be checked in his lofts. We did find a couple of birds with blue tongues.

The blue tongue can mean many different things from something simple such as wrong diet to more serious like bad circulation.

Should you feed high protein right through the week, the digestive system becomes sluggish and the breast may become blue in color with a blue tip on the tongue also. Try changing your pigeons diet and giving your birds a strong dose of garlic in the water to help correct this.

However, When tissues that are normally red turn blue, this is because there is less oxygen in these tissues. This can have several reasons. For example when the tip of the tongue of a pigeon is cold, there will be less blood circulation and the tip will appear blue. It doesn’t have to mean anything. If it’s associated with blue flesh it can be a problem certainly for birds that have to perform.

Again blue tongue can be caused by multiple factors like inadequate nutrition/supplementing, inadequate training, dehydration (shock in extreme cases), bad circulation etc…Try changing their diet, giving garlic and keeping a close eye on them to see if their health declines and if you have room in your loft quarantine them as a precaution until you are certain that they are healthy.