Widowhood cocks training.

Talk about anything racing pigeon related here aslong as there isnt a section for it.
diesel

Racing soon need to get a couple of training spins in . Do you show hens on return or just bowl . this is just for widowcocks. Thanks.
George and Morgan

can't help there Diesel don't race
Andy

diesel wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:54 am Racing soon need to get a couple of training spins in . Do you show hens on return or just bowl . this is just for widowcocks. Thanks.
Hi Diesel. My widowhood cocks were first paired up on Boxing Day. They were allowed to rear a youngster until around 15 days. The hens were then removed. Previously I would have let the cocks finish rearing them but from a message/advice from Anthony when on chat I weaned the youngsters in with the hens. That worked well Ant, thank you. They were then left separated for a few weeks. During that time the cocks were let out every morning and were flying well. I repaired them 3 weeks ago. They have been sitting now between 10 & 6 days. The hens will be removed again early next week and the cocks will go on the widowhood in preparation for our first race in 2 weeks time.
Any way after I digressed Diesel in answer to your question my way is that the cocks will never go in a crate without the hens being in the loft on their return. They need to associate the crate with the hen. I had hoped to have got a couple of trainers in whilst repaired but because of the bad weather and work I haven’t managed to. They probably won’t get a trainer now. They might take a couple of races to get the idea but that’s ok with me. The hens will be shown the first couple of races before basketing. Once they understand what the system is they will only need the bowl before marking as the crate will tell them that the hen will be waiting.
That’s my way of doing it Diesel. Hope that helps.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
diesel

Thanks Andy all the best for season
MIL

diesel wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:54 am Racing soon need to get a couple of training spins in . Do you show hens on return or just bowl . this is just for widowcocks. Thanks.
Hi Diesel

For me showing the hens to cocks in training is a must - especially the yearlings

If you don't learn them that getting home = reward of the hen how are they going to learn?

I've had 1st Federation 5,129 birds on the opening day of the season with a yearling widowhood cock (besides other opening race wins)

These yearling cocks new the game going into Race 1 because of the schooling (reward) that they'd had in training.
Andy

MIL wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:43 am
Hi Diesel

For me showing the hens to cocks in training is a must - especially the yearlings

If you don't learn them that getting home = reward of the hen how are they going to learn?

I've had 1st Federation 5,129 birds on the opening day of the season with a yearling widowhood cock (besides other opening race wins)

These yearling cocks new the game going into Race 1 because of the schooling (reward) that they'd had in training.
I agree MIL. They need to know that going in a crate and being released means their hen will be waiting. When I repaired I put the cocks in the crate. Put the hens in the loft and let the cocks out just in the garden. Even this showed them that the hen was there after being in the basket.
The other thing I do with the cocks is I never feed them to trap them. When exercising around home I shut them out of the loft. When I go to get them in I’ll open the trap and call them. I want them trapping to their box and not for food. Once in I will feed my other birds, youngsters and naturals, before going back and feeding the cocks.
MIL

Call me Mike - everybody else does Andy

Cocks are territorial - their box is everything.

Fundamentally they race to the box, not to the hen.
diesel

Thanks mike. Did you show hens basketing for race or just bowl .atb
MIL

There was no hard and fast rule to be honest

9/10 they'd get the bowl and then the hens a short time after - but there were times when I mixed it up a bit

In all honesty the very very best widowers need little motivation - they are self-motivators

I'm talking now about the cocks that hound their competitors coming 6,7,8 times or more a season (with good positions too)
Andy

MIL wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:04 am Call me Mike - everybody else does Andy

Cocks are territorial - their box is everything.

Fundamentally they race to the box, not to the hen.
Will do Mike 👍