Trip to Germany

Talk about anything racing pigeon related here aslong as there isnt a section for it.
Devo1956

So it's Wednesday afternoon, not much happening around the home, After having a chat with Maria, I booked a flight and also hired a hire car, i phoned my brother Kenny to arrange taking me to the airport. All sorted I am on my way.
A flight at 17: 45 from Manchester to Cologne Germany, i have arrived at 20.00 pm in Germany.
So after sorting the hire car, it was too late to drive across to Hoxter. So I booked the hotel for the night at the airport. I texted Christoph and told him I will drive over the next day. So after booking into the hotel, a nice glass of brandy and dry ginger was in order.
Thursday morning I checked out of the hotel, and started my drive over to Hoxter, i must say I really enjoyed the drive. A message from Christoph, he was in work until 15,00 hours. But Leon would be at home to meet me, so the plan was all in action.

Arriving in Hoxter, I stopped and checked. How to get to the home of Christoph, after a chat with a German guy I was on my way. It was only 10 minutes outside of Hoxter. I arrived at the village, and again asked local people. Where is the home of the Spieker family, it was just 500 yards from their home. I drove around the corner and I could see the Pigeon lofts.

I soon was greeted by Leon, and straight away the pigeon talk started. He showed me around the lofts, and I must say the birds looked well. Leons uncle was also watching his birds. In case of any hawks around, the village is in a basen. But I must say it was a very nice location, and there were around 6 lofts in the village.
Christoph arrived home from work, and we went up into the kitchen. He is a very funny guy, always smiling and joking with Leon. We sat down around the kitchen table, Leon was the translator to help in our chats.

Leon told me his family have been in the pigeon sport for many years. His grandfather forme the racing club many years ago, and his father and his uncle have had many years in the sport, He has another uncle in Frankfurt Germany, and he is a very good flyer in the sport winning many races.
So Christoph has been not only a good flyers in his own rights, he sells some of his birds to people around the world. While sitting there the phone started texting more orders for birds.

So Leon bought his first bird to enter his part of the lofts, then the rest was shared by Christioh and his brother. Leon bought a son of Aries, a very good bird from Germany, he soon got the buzz for the sport. But if needed help was around for him, but he decides to do things he feels is right.
So topics on the sport started to flow, breeding and weaning of youngsters was a great subject and their way of feeding. The P 40 pellets play a big part in the feed, 20% pellets to 80 % food mix. A really good food mix that gave good nutrition to the breeders and the youngsters.
Prevention plays a big part in the lofts, so Rotavirus jabs to the birds when paired up and then the youngsters. The youngsters will leave their parents around 25 days. And join the young bird section, the floor as a dressing and will not be changed until the end of the season around the 7th of September. Then a good clean out, and new fresh dressing goes down.

The drinking water for all the birds, there is Vits and amino acids added. This is a couple of times a week, making sure all needed is available. Along with fresh grit and minerals.

The ventilation is a big thing to the lads, when lofts were built. They soon found out things were not right, so things were changed which now allows the lads to adjust if needed. Also a smoke test is carried out, to check if the air flow is right.

We made our way down to the lofts, the birds in hand were in really nice condition, Silk feathers and great body weight, and muscle growth was good allround .On old and young birds. While I was at the lofts, the darkness system was being used on the youngsters, feathers dropping off them. Christoph explained the vitamins and amino acids help with this; It was good to hear how the lads carry out different tasks, which they all share. I will put up a few photos to go along with this report. The pigeon mix is bought by a pallet 40x 25 Kgs bags.
Attachments
thumbnail - 2024-04-03T135947.730.jpeg
thumbnail - 2024-04-03T140021.427.jpeg
thumbnail - 2024-04-03T140007.746.jpeg
Devo1956

So I spent the weekend going over different topics about the sport, and Christioph has so much knowledge of the sport. We was talking about the darkness system, and Christoph was showing me how to extend the flying of the young birds by 2 weeks. He cuts around 2 mls of the feather. I will show a photo of. When that feather falls you move on to the next one, and so on till you reach the last feather. So the young birds after weaning, are let out for 2 to 3 weeks flying around the loft. Then they are locked in the shed until they are ready to train. this allows the youngsters to grow and no stress is allowed. While on the darkness system, and you can see when you hold the youngsters, very strong birds i must say.
Attachments
thumbnail - 2024-04-03T150631.850.jpeg
Devo1956

The time came to pick my youngsters for the German classic OLR, i took advice from the lads, The final race is from Bar-Le_-Duc in France.400 Km. The youngsters race South West across to Germany. A very good change for the youngsters, and pending the winds. A good strong youngster is needed, so i have gone for a good selection in the breeding. When they are ready to go to the loft, Leon will take some photos of the youngsters. He will then send them to me i will post on site. Also treating myself to a nice pair of youngsters from top breeding, i need to think of what i am doing with them. They will go on loan to a loft, or go to the Dubai sprint OLR.
Buster121

Great pics and report look forward to watching the veture unfold, main thing is though you had a great time and now have a zest for life again with a big spring in your step
George and Morgan

great read Dev glad you enjoy yourself
Devo1956

Thanks lads.
So on the Sunday, i was invited to one of the flyers in the club, Jan showed me around his lofts. But photos of his birds i could not take, but he allowed me to take a photo of the bird i choose as his best.
I must say i was allowed to hold his birds and give feedback. In which he was very pleased, he also showed me one of his hens with 67 prizes. This hen was 9 years old and still racing, he hopes in its 10th year of racing it tops the comb. Well the Romain cock in the photo was a powerhouse of a bird, so strong in the hand. Again Jan says is birds get the good nutrition and vits and amino acids. The both lofts i did visit, jab for Rotavirus, Samonella.and Parvo.. It was a really good visit, Jan said if i go back in September, club members will be at the German classic OLR their comp as entered 2 teams. He also said he will take me to his uncles breeding loft. So i was pleased for the invite.
Attachments
thumbnail - 2024-04-03T163137.484.jpeg
thumbnail - 2024-04-03T163122.932.jpeg
thumbnail - 2024-04-03T163107.436.jpeg
thumbnail - 2024-04-03T163049.587.jpeg
thumbnail - 2024-04-03T163036.324.jpeg
Devo1956

just had a text from Christoph, he is looking towards 2025 already. he just sent me this pedigree of a bird he is hoping to buy. I must say this guy is good with forward planning, Quality is a must for this loft.
Attachments
thumbnail - 2024-04-03T170600.707.jpeg
Andy

A good read and glad you enjoyed your visit.
What’s the reasoning behind cutting a bit off the flight feather Devo? Being the feather is dead and the next to fall I can’t see why! But I’m sure they have a reason for doing so.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Devo1956

Andy wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:52 pm A good read and glad you enjoyed your visit.
What’s the reasoning behind cutting a bit off the flight feather Devo? Being the feather is dead and the next to fall I can’t see why! But I’m sure they have a reason for doing so.
Andy, the cutting of the feathers, gives an extra 2 weeks in flying. Than a normal wing, the lads do this every year. you only need to cut a small piece off. Like in the photo.
Buster121

Great pics and read mate love that blue cock