Starting out

Need any help or advice post it here.
Trev

Great Video's work, thanks for sharing, I like the open door with traps on the ground, it does mean you get them trapping before they can fly !! Are these your lofts ?? Hreat location !!
For various reasons Ive not been able to give babies much attention this year but usually I would have them out in a basket from weaning age while the rest of the loft are exercising, then when I feed the others in I put the babies in through the traps.
I have to admit though trapping pigeons, old or young, has never been my strong point ;) :?
Trev

Daz71 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:22 pm is it safe to let them out? we have a cage that has been made to fit on top of the landing board
Glad you are happy with your birds Daz and that the whole family are getting involved, it sounds like they are settling in nicely.
As others have already said, get them out as soon as you can before they get too strong on the wing. Ideally you just want them to come and wonder about the drop board before they think about flying. The danger if they are too strong is that they will just come straight out and fly without even looking back. It can be a very stressful time letting them out for the first time, especially when they are your first birds and you have nothing else to show them the ropes.
Good luck with them.
Daz71

Birds are out in the sunshine in a crate on top of the landing board should I move the crate around the garden enabling the to see the loft from different angles? And how long should the be out for
Buster121

Daz71 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:46 pm Birds are out in the sunshine in a crate on top of the landing board should I move the crate around the garden enabling the to see the loft from different angles? And how long should the be out for
Leave them there but make sure they have access to water, then say tomorrow move them onto garden where they can see loft
Daz71

How long should I let the m be out for
Buster121

Daz71 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:14 pm How long should I let the m be out for
Longer the better as the more they out the more they see but at the same time they need to know the loft is there home
Buster121

If you have a board inside the loft other side of landing board you could turn crate round and let them walk through and in
Daz71

Buster121 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:07 pm If you have a board inside the loft other side of landing board you could turn crate round and let them walk through and in
as they are not flying yet would this be ok as the board would be around 5ft off the ground would I need to put a cage around it to stop them falling off
Daz71

I have just thought about what I just asked :lol: I don't suppose baby pigeon's in the wild have a cage around them in a tree.... sorry not thinking straight
Andy

They will be fine Daz. I’m sure both the birds and yourself will grow in confidence over the next week or so. Just get them used to a routine of going out and being fed when you call them in.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.