Starting out

Need any help or advice post it here.
Buster121

Daz71 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:01 pm Joined the RPRA today so first stage completed, do you know if I get rings included in my membership I can't seem to find the answer on the RPRA website?
Did you join in your name or your sons as I am sure they still give free rings to juniors unless they changed it with the new pricing structure they just had
Murray

If I may just interject here, with all due respect, Daz and Daz Jr need some advice on how to set up a starter loft, how to get some good young pigeons and care for them.
The dark web that is the RPRA, or the same body in other countries, is maybe not something to be worrying a prospective fancier.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Andy

Murray wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:27 am If I may just interject here, with all due respect, Daz and Daz Jr need some advice on how to set up a starter loft, how to get some good young pigeons and care for them.
The dark web that is the RPRA, or the same body in other countries, is maybe not something to be worrying a prospective fancier.
I do agree Murray. There is plenty of time to sort out the finer points. The first and most important thing is learning as much as possible, getting a loft set up and obtaining a few birds. It will be some time before they will need any rings.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Daz71

Murray wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:27 am If I may just interject here, with all due respect, Daz and Daz Jr need some advice on how to set up a starter loft, how to get some good young pigeons and care for them.
Thanks Murray what would a starter loft consist of? I must say it is pretty hard to get any info on my local clubs from the rpra, who to contact & so on without becoming a member, we just wanted to make contact with someone & get a feel for it all first..
Andy

Daz71 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:01 pm Joined the RPRA today so first stage completed, do you know if I get rings included in my membership I can't seem to find the answer on the RPRA website?
Just to add to what’s already been said. The rings are put on young pigeons at around 6 days old. Soon after that the youngsters foot will be too big to get a ring on. Any pigeons you get in will already be rung. All you need to do then is have these rings re- registered into your name. Easy to do and free if done online.
Andy

Daz71 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:46 am
Thanks Murray what would a starter loft consist of? I must say it is pretty hard to get any info on my local clubs from the rpra, who to contact & so on without becoming a member, we just wanted to make contact with someone & get a feel for it all first..
Where do you live Daz? The best person to contact to start with is the secretary of your region in which you live. They will have a list of clubs and contacts in your area.
I know you wanted to start small but I think you would regret it if you went too small. I think a loft/shed 8ft by 6ft, or larger if you have room, split into 2 sections would give you a good start.
Daz71

Thanks Andy so any birds we buy will already have the rings that's handy I forgot to mention I have set a max of 6 birds to start with 3 each we have been looking at getting some birds from Tumley Lofts
Daz71

we are in Billericay Essex, yes I agree we are going to get a loft around 8x6. I have made contact with my local rpra rep (London Region) that's who we joined the rpra through.
Andy

Daz71 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 am we are in Billericay Essex, yes I agree we are going to get a loft around 8x6. I have made contact with my local rpra rep (London Region) that's who we joined the rpra through.
That’s good. They should be able to put you in contact with a local club. Are you getting youngsters from Tumley lofts? That would be the best way. These can easily be let out as they will be Young when you get them. Yes they will be rung. You may lose the odd one and of course at that age you won’t know what sex they are but that’s all part of it. The ups with the downs.
This is my 8 x 6 loft that I built myself.
IMG_3029.jpeg
This has 2 sections. One with 8 nest boxes the other has 24 box perches. Ideal size for what you want.
Daz71

Yes getting a 6 young bird kit, what age will we be able to tell the sex & what would be the best time of year to buy them? also at what age do they start racing from sorry for so many questions