First time out

Talk about anything racing pigeon related here aslong as there isnt a section for it.
PHILBODEN

Nice to see them looking around stress time over Andy soon be flying around all the best for 2024.
Trev

Thats good to see Andy 👍🤠 well done bro 😁
Andy

Had the youngsters out again today. I haven’t actually seen them fly as I just open them up and have to go back into the shop. They flit around the loft though. They are trapping well when called. The thing that is surprising me is the way they are moulting. There not on darkness but at just 8 weeks old they are falling apart. Some have even dropped flight feathers already. Still all squeaking but just starting to change.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
George and Morgan

could the cause be in the feed Andy
Andy

George and Morgan wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:46 pm could the cause be in the feed Andy
I wouldn’t have thought so George. They are only on a mixture of breed and wean and an all round mix. They are getting garlic in the water which is getting a bit strong so will probably throw the cloves away tomorrow. The loft is full of small feathers in the mornings and when handling them you can feel a lot of new feathers coming through. Along with going out for an hour early afternoon they also have access to the aviary all day. I have found in the past that these early youngsters tend to be late in dropping flight feathers but the eldest one is just about to drop it’s second and others are half way up their first. I like to think that it’s a sign that they are in great condition, they certainly handle well. Very pleased considering that I was a bit disappointed in them when weaned.
Buster121

Good to see going well
Murray

Yep, I wouldn't worry about them going into a moult already. I would say they might have been a little bit sick when they were little, possibly when you had the problem with wet droppings in the loft. Now they are in great health and away they go.
I often see babies drop the first flight when they are just starting to fly.
This could be a good thing, those youngsters will be well through the moult before the racing begins. They won't be bare around the neck and missing coverts on the wings.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Devo1956

I am sure they will be ok Andy, good to hear they are trapping ok.
Andy

Murray wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:05 pm Yep, I wouldn't worry about them going into a moult already. I would say they might have been a little bit sick when they were little, possibly when you had the problem with wet droppings in the loft. Now they are in great health and away they go.
I often see babies drop the first flight when they are just starting to fly.
This could be a good thing, those youngsters will be well through the moult before the racing begins. They won't be bare around the neck and missing coverts on the wings.
I think you’re right with them having been a bit sick. Their droppings were terrible along with the parents whilst in the nest. As said I only actually lost 4 youngsters in the nest, and these were the smaller ones. Some of the others weren’t overly good in the nest but still ate by themselves and when weaned at 21 days never went back. I would like to think that these have a very good immune system now.
Andy

This is a few photos of them this morning and what I find every morning when I enter the loft.
IMG_3165.jpeg
IMG_3166.jpeg
IMG_3169.jpeg
IMG_3170.jpeg
IMG_3174.jpeg