First time out

Talk about anything racing pigeon related here aslong as there isnt a section for it.
Andy

When I weaned the youngsters I put them into the young bird section with the widowhood hens. Because I didn’t want to let the hens out as they would only have wanted to go back in with the cocks they have been left shut in but have had access to the aviary. There were half a dozen of them going out. So a week ago I removed the hens into their own section. I have been wanting to let them out as they are getting stronger day by day and I was getting worried that they might get a bit too strong and just take off when let out. This morning I finally decided to open the front and trap up. Some came out quite quickly and went on top of the aviary. The odd ones then flew up onto the loft roof. I kept checking on them. At one time they were down on the decking then on the loft roof and a couple on the greenhouse. I couldn’t keep watching them as I had the shop to run. After a couple of hours I went out to check and all bar 2 had gone back in. The final 2 went back in quickly with a bit of encouragement. Which was all good as they hadn’t even been shown the trap before. So I was very pleased for their first time out.
IMG_3157.jpeg
IMG_3158.jpeg
IMG_3159.jpeg
IMG_3160.jpeg
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Devo1956

Always heart flutter time Andy, first time our can be a scary time. good to see they settled well and have a good look around. Onward and upwards, they will soon be darting in the sky. Keep it going mate, well done.
Buster121

Good to see all went well, I did think as time went by they would be to strong and go but good they didn't, you have some really sharp looking ones there Andy especially the blue in pic one on the right
Murray

That's good news, Andy. I think that if they have been able to get outside like they have, and watch what's going on they see the others going in and out.
Young pigeons are like sponges, they absorb what is going on. Also those babies look very healthy and alert.
Nice youngsters, you will be very pleased :D
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Andy

The pleasing thing is that most of them have now been out for the first time, there are the odd ones that didn’t come out, and they have flitted about, up and down onto the loft roof and the decking and then found their own way back in. I think this is always the worst part. I won’t be so worried now if any take off as they at least know where they are. I am going to replace the aviary. I have the wood and wire to do it it’s just a case of finding the time to do it.
Trev

Well done Andy, they are looking good 👍🤠
As you and others have said, hopefully that's the worst part over 😁
George and Morgan

that always worries me gifting ybs and there well on the wing good to see all's going well Andy
Andy

George and Morgan wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:47 am that always worries me gifting ybs and there well on the wing good to see all's going well Andy
Had them out again today. Some did have a flit around to the greenhouse and back. All back in after a couple of hours.
IMG_3161.jpeg
IMG_3162.jpeg
Buster121

Been a good day to have them out pleased all back in safely
Murray

Nice!
You are safely over that hurdle.
Greetings from the land down under. :D