fat ybs

Talk about anything here. ( non pigeon related please)
king

I too don't like fat YBs they should handle lean and firm. If they feel bottom heavy that's not for me. The weaning age depends on how they look not a set number of days. I'd rather leave them a day or so longer than take them away too early. I've just sent a fancier 14. 2 really needed a couple of days longer but they were eating ok.
Anthony webster
Great Britain

Andy wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:04 pm
Anthony webster wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:06 pm I don't like fat young birds
Every fat baby iv had as been useless or lost,, just a nice normal shape and weight I like, I look for babys wanting to leave the nest young and when weaned perch fast, them fat ones that stay on floor for days longer than rest are normally no good I'm very fussy with stock and watch every thing another thing is whewhen feeding if there tail goes down when they eat you will lose them with in 6 tosses.
At what age do you look to wean yours Anthony? I’ve never looked at their tails when eating. Never knew that. A interesting point to look for.
Andy when I was a fanatic yb racer the baby's was weaned very very young 17,18 days but at 25 days old was so more advanced than a 25 day old left with parents, I single toss baby's from garden at 4 weeks old 5 weeks old 500 yds up field 6 weeks old single tossed 1 mile all directions this is before there batched but u find they batch n really fly doing this at 8,9 weeks old I start training, the yrs I was lazy n never trained until 12,14 weeks birds didn't seem like the ones I really educated young. I'm not like other flyers birds don't walk around in garden or loft top there either flying or in loft pal no bad habits are aloud here.
The question about 6 tosses, every bird iv seen that eats n holds tail down acting over hungry as allways fell with in 6 tosses they ain't strong enough n they bend n break easy.
Atb Tony.
Anthony webster
Great Britain

wynands56 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:17 pm i dont like pigeons with full crops at any time except when there feeding youngsters when weaned there on a feeding system that i control as the same as old birds yearlings as soon as the first pigeon goes for a drink the feeding troughs are taken away any food left goes into corn bin. but im sure fellow fanciers have there methods many ways to skin a cat
The drinkers here are removed when exercising once they have eaten I then will put drinkers in loft,,
Regulating water is key really to get the red blood cells up,,
Buster121

Anthony webster wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:33 pm
Every fat baby iv had as been useless or lost,, just a nice normal shape and weight I like, I look for babys wanting to leave the nest young and when weaned perch fast, them fat ones that stay on floor for days longer than rest are normally no good I'm very fussy with stock and watch every thing another thing is whewhen feeding if there tail goes down when they eat you will lose them with in 6 tosses.
The question about 6 tosses, every bird iv seen that eats n holds tail down acting over hungry as allways fell with in 6 tosses they ain't strong enough n they bend n break easy.
Atb Tony.
Thanks for that
Andy

At what age do you look to wean yours Anthony? I’ve never looked at their tails when eating. Never knew that. A interesting point to look for.
Andy when I was a fanatic yb racer the baby's was weaned very very young 17,18 days but at 25 days old was so more advanced than a 25 day old left with parents, I single toss baby's from garden at 4 weeks old 5 weeks old 500 yds up field 6 weeks old single tossed 1 mile all directions this is before there batched but u find they batch n really fly doing this at 8,9 weeks old I start training, the yrs I was lazy n never trained until 12,14 weeks birds didn't seem like the ones I really educated young. I'm not like other flyers birds don't walk around in garden or loft top there either flying or in loft pal no bad habits are aloud here.
Atb Tony.
I usual wean at 21 days. They do seem small at that age but mature quickly. I’ve never shown a youngster the drinker and never had a problem. I paired up late last year and my youngsters were only around 14 weeks when sent to the first race. I must admit I’m not a big one for training, certainly if flying well around home. They had 5 tosses. 3 from 9 miles and 2 from 18 miles. Half of the ones bred completed every race in the young bird program. This year because of racing widowhood I bred a few early ones. They are maturing fast and although not on darkness are falling apart. We have got some any age races during our old bird program in the combine so these could start racing in around 7 weeks time.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Anthony webster
Great Britain

Fair play Andy 👍
MIL

George and Morgan wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:08 am have left them but they don't look right to me might get rid of one
In my opinion I would always say to anyone "trust your instincts" - your eyes are the best judge

If you're instincts tell you to do something - then that should not be ignored.
George and Morgan

i agree 100% with you
Trev

Atb Tony.
Good information there, thanks for that.
Apart from the not letting them walk around the garden etc I know that was very much Des Coulters way, as soon as they could fly he would pretty much start moving them, you certainly can't question his achievements.
Trev

MIL wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:46 am
George and Morgan wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:08 am have left them but they don't look right to me might get rid of one
In my opinion I would always say to anyone "trust your instincts" - your eyes are the best judge

If you're instincts tell you to do something - then that should not be ignored.
You are so right !!