Quick update and pics of the birds

Talk about anything racing pigeon related here aslong as there isnt a section for it.
Trev

I had a bit of a hectic weekend last weekend so the birds didn't go out for long and I didn't get the chance to clean them out, some birds are still very unsure about coming out but those that did enjoy their fly. I had two unintentional early youngsters that I'd weaned the previous weekend, neither of them were eating properly yet so I wasn't really wanting them to come out so I put a couple of the traps back up straight away hoping that the babies wouldn't come out of the one remaining open trap. I had to go out for a while so left the things as they were until I got home, most of the birds were back in the loft by now as they aren't hanging around outside once they've stopped flying. When I got home I went up to the loft, shut the last trap and fed them, most birds were already in but I noticed one of the babies wasn't there. I left the trap open until dark but unfortunately there was no sign of the baby.
Sunday morning I got up hoping to see the baby on the loft but it was still nowhere to be seen, I didn't let them out as we had quite alot of running around to do but did open one trap just incase the baby returned. I fed the birds at the usual time in the evening, between half 4 and 5 but as the baby still wasn't around and I didn't want tye feral birds going in I shut the trap. About an hour later just before dark I went down the loft for one more look around and was surprised and happy to see the little blue sitting on top of the chicken house, I managed to catch it and return it safely with the other birds.
I have now officially started my breeding and have a few youngsters in the nest from just under 3 weeks to 1 day old. I wrung 5 babies yesterday, I have 6 that are 1 to 2 days, 1 pair of eggs chipping tonight with another pair due to hatch in a couple of days. I have had a couple of eggs not hatch and a couple of babies that I'd moved under a couple of my race pairs that were sitting overdue that unfortunately died, the pairs seemed to accept them initially and did feed them for a day or two but then killed them πŸ˜•πŸ˜¬ I've never had this problem before but this is the second year running I've had it with this current family of birds so although I like every race pair to rear a baby I won't be messing around like that again. I'm not planning on breeding many youngsters this year so apart from a few pairs that will have a second round that will be most of my breeding for this year. With the babies from George and half a dozen I'm hoping to get from Rich (Bryn from the old forum) in late April I will have plenty for this season.
Well that's a quick update, here are a few photos.
20240312_155419.jpg
20240312_155401.jpg
20240312_155455.jpg
This is the blue that went missing.
20240312_155438.jpg
These are just a few random pics of the birds.
20240312_155924.jpg
20240312_155928.jpg
20240312_155933.jpg
20240312_155938.jpg
Trev

A couple more pics.

This is a better pic of the black baby, nest mate to the blue.
20240312_161220.jpg
20240312_155433.jpg
20240312_155948.jpg
20240312_155942.jpg
Buster121

Great piocs mate, glad the baby came back safely
Andy

Looking good Trev. Hope to get my babies out soon. Most have been coming out into the aviary.
Where did the blacks come from Trev?
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Trev

Thanks again fellas πŸ‘πŸ˜
The Blacks are out of a Des Coulter hen that Mick Parrish sent down to me Andy.
The Dark W/F youngster is out of a Roy Olliver Jan Arden Cock crossed with a Dave Bridger/Des Coulter Hen. She is the Gay pied at the front of the loft in pic 5, unfortunately their other egg didn't hatch, it started chipping but died, which is a shame as I think that's going to be a lovely pigeon.
Devo1956

Looking good Trev, all the best with them. They will be soon training, all the best mate.
Murray

All looking good, Trev.
I can see why you were pleased to get the wee blue one back. That is a lovely pair of youngsters. Very good.
But Trev, if I can make a suggestion, get that bloody drinker up off the floor! All the dust and detritus will be getting in that drinker.
In the 'tin shed in Bealiba' I have a drinker on a box made out of an old flat pack book shelf. It's about 14 inches off the ground.
Attachments
006.JPG
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Murray

And there's a small one up by the front
Attachments
008.JPG
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Trev

Murray wrote: ↑Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:04 am All looking good, Trev.
I can see why you were pleased to get the wee blue one back. That is a lovely pair of youngsters. Very good.
But Trev, if I can make a suggestion, get that bloody drinker up off the floor! All the dust and detritus will be getting in that drinker.
In the 'tin shed in Bealiba' I have a drinker on a box made out of an old flat pack book shelf. It's about 14 inches off the ground.
Thanks Muzza πŸ‘ I do have one up on the front of the loft and the two on the floor are slightly elevated but not high enough so they do get full of rubbish from the floor which does get annoying. I will heed your advice and get something knocked up to raise them further, cheers mate πŸ‘πŸ€ 
Trev

Devo1956 wrote: ↑Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:58 am Looking good Trev, all the best with them. They will be soon training, all the best mate.
Thanks Dev πŸ‘