Dark times are nearly here.

Need any help or advice post it here.
Devo1956

Just a simple video, on members that are going to use the dark system. Simple and easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBbPniLAlFg&t=16s
Buster121

Good video thanks for sharing, I will stick to natural :D :D
Andy

A good video but never tried darkness. My naturals held their own last year in the club against all the darkness youngsters. I am the only one that doesn’t do darkness in our club.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Murray

I have never used the darkness system, but I have messed around a bit with the light, turning the light on early to keep the days the same length.
If I ever raced young birds in the summer and autumn again I would absolutely put them on darkness. To the Europeans it's as normal as feeding and training them. And it doesn't harm them. Their good widowhood cocks were all raised on the darkness.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Andy

Murray wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:50 pm I have never used the darkness system, but I have messed around a bit with the light, turning the light on early to keep the days the same length.
If I ever raced young birds in the summer and autumn again I would absolutely put them on darkness. To the Europeans it's as normal as feeding and training them. And it doesn't harm them. Their good widowhood cocks were all raised on the darkness.
I can’t see that how you raise them as youngsters has any barring on them as old birds. Yes the European widowhood’s would have been raised on darkness but only because everything is. I can only go on experience. We had a member back in the 80s who looking back I’m sure must have been racing his youngsters on darkness. His birds were like old birds compared to all others members birds raised naturally. You couldn’t compete with him in young bird racing. But he rarely even took a card with the old birds.
As said I am the only member of our club that doesn’t race on the darkness. Mine were the only ones that didn’t go down with YBS. Everyone else had it at some point. I lost fewer youngsters than most of the others and still had them fly the program even though falling apart by the end.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.