Things so different

Talk about anything racing pigeon related here aslong as there isnt a section for it.
Andy

I imagine most members will understand what I mean. Things in the loft seemed and felt so different this morning. You are well aware of the issues I’ve been having with the wet droppings. The past week things have been slowly improving. The cocks are let out just after 8 every morning. When I walk up the garden and get near the loft a few of the cocks have been looking to come out. When I’ve been opening the front up usually 6 of the 11 come out straight away. The others have just been flying down onto the garden and not really wanting to fly much. While the cocks have been out I have cleaned them out and the other sections. Fed them all and put a bit of seed in the pots in the nest boxes for the cocks when they came in. Generally the odd one would come in the others would be sitting in the tree or on the house but would be in when I checked a hour or so later. They are given another feed in their boxes in the afternoon. They have been getting better during the week. There have still been a few wet droppings. The last 3 days the weather has been dry and bight although quite cold.
This morning things were different. As I walked up the garden the cocks were going mad. Pacing up and down waiting to get out. I opened the front and 10 of the 11 shot out. The other one had a look out, turned round went back in the loft, then came back into the front and flew out. I went into their section to clean them out and there were no wet droppings. There were lots of down feathers both in the boxes and on the floor. I cleaned out and stood out the front of the loft before doing any of the others. I just watched as the birds were flying like my widowhood’s used to do years ago. Even though it was a cold fresh East wind. I find they fly differently than naturals and youngsters. They tend not to fly as a batch. I had a loose batch of 4, another loose batch of 5 and 2 flying on their own. They were breaking away in all directions, clapping around and briefly pitching before clapping off again. They seemed to be full of it this morning. I cleaned and fed all the others. I was just going back into the main loft after doing the naturals in the other loft when a cock dropped straight onto the trap and shot in. The rest shortly followed with all but 2 trapping straight away. I went in to give them a bit of food. They were roaring in their boxes. The final 2 soon trapped then as well. It was great to see. I do love widowhood when they are like that.
The weather is taking a turn for the worst tomorrow with it back to rain so will be interesting to see what their like. I don’t think the weather is particularly the reason things have changed but it has probably helped.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Buster121

That is good news, hope they don't go back with the weather turning again
Devo1956

Sounds so much better Andy, hope it keeps improving.
Murray

That sounds more like it. Whatever was the problem it seems to be behind them now.
I know what you mean about the widowers, they are quite different to natural pigeons. They are a joy to watch when they are out.
It's a pity the weather is going to turn again. Maybe if it is going to be very cold and wet you might want to consider keeping them in so they do't get knocked out of form again.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Trev

Good to hear that things have improved Andy and that the widowhoods are starting to fly well, it's good to see you going back to widowhood and enjoying tye birds again bruv, I hope it continues to go well for you 👍🤠
Andy

The weather wasn’t so good this morning. It wasn’t raining but had been. So it was damp and cloudy. I opened the front up and the first ones flew out immediately some of the others weren’t so keen but all had a bit of a fly. Nothing like yesterday. The good thing is though that there were no wet droppings and they were keen to get back into their boxes. At the moment I am opening the trap up when I let them out so they can go back in as soon as they want. After they have been repaired the trap will be shut when they go out until I want them in.
Andy

All going well now. Droppings all good. This morning all 11 of the cocks flew for well over half an hour. Partly helped by a large red kite hovering above. They kept chasing it away but it kept coming back lol. 😂.
I will be re-pairing them next weekend allowing them to sit for around 10 days before being separated again and going into proper widowhood in preparation for the race season. They will get 2 or 3 short trainers while paired and sitting weather permitting. Mind you they are already flying the time it should take them to fly the first 3 races at only 34 miles 😂🤣
Devo1956

All sounds much better Andy, its really good feeling when you turn the corner. Hope the health issues stay away. Giving you a great racing season.
Buster121

That is great news mate, they may be flying the times but they need a break point mate so training is essential
Andy

Buster121 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:04 pm That is great news mate, they may be flying the times but they need a break point mate so training is essential
I understand what your saying Buster but the trouble is with this combine it is so much determined on the wind. Any North in it and they will come along the bottom of the combine 👍 for me. Any South and they will be well North of me 👎. So finding a breaking point is very difficult as in all 3 of the first races they could fly different lines. It will be different when we fly in the Three Counties as they will be coming over me of a bit South most weeks.