Young birds

Want to know anything about feeding or the health of your birds post it here.
Trev

This is the Gem Concorde mix that I like for my youngsters, I do mix beans, wild bird seed, mixed corn and hemp seed into this. As they are mixed in with my old birds there diet does change depending on what I'm feeding the old birds on which will change as they get into the longer races, I do hopper feed beans once breeding is under way and through the rest of the season.
20240229_171139.jpg
Andy

I like the look of that mix. But at the end of the day the only real thing that you need to look at is the nutritional value. Protein, carbohydrates, fats, fibre etc. many mixes would be very similar despite what grains they have in them. It’s fanciers that is the reason there are so many different mixes, all doing basically the same job, because of their own preferences.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Murray

I don't like that a lot, its got 3 sorts of peas and tares and mung beans. Hell of a lot of protein. Three sorts of maize, for some reason. Some safflower, wheat, sorghum and some barley.
I guess it's a young bird mix, and I am sure it's fine, but not what I would be feeding.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Devo1956

I like a topic like this, everyone gives their true value, about what they like and dont like.. I myself can not find the right balance on looks. it does not catch my eye on a clean mix. The way the first mix looks on start of topic.
Murray

On the Vanrobaeys website there is a mixture called Young Birds racing Exclusive.
I really like it. It has about 15% legumes, peas and beans. It has a lot of fats and easily digested grains and 25% maize. To me it looks an excellent young bird feed.
I remember what the late killer used to call peas, he called them sinkers!
Andy

I am using a mixture at present of a conditioning mix, a breed and wean mix and an all round mix. I don’t quite know where the red maize and black maize that some of these corn companies are now using in some mixes. The black maize does look interesting and is used most by Versa Laga but the mixes containing it do seem expensive.
Murray

Andy, the black maize is another money making thing in my opinion. Another thing which can be pedaled by those more interested in the fast buck than the fast pigeon.
I do not suggest for one moment that the reputable pigeon feed companies are involved in dodgy practice. Quite the opposite. But the are all in business, and if fanciers read that black maize, or red maize, or turquoise maize will give them a 1% edge, they will demand it in the feed they purchase.
The grain manufacturers respond to the demand. I know I would.
Trev

Murray wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:02 am Andy, the black maize is another money making thing in my opinion. Another thing which can be pedaled by those more interested in the fast buck than the fast pigeon.
I do not suggest for one moment that the reputable pigeon feed companies are involved in dodgy practice. Quite the opposite. But the are all in business, and if fanciers read that black maize, or red maize, or turquoise maize will give them a 1% edge, they will demand it in the feed they purchase.
👍
Buster121

Murray wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:02 am Andy, the black maize is another money making thing in my opinion. Another thing which can be pedaled by those more interested in the fast buck than the fast pigeon.
Why not suggest it Murray as they are, and like most companies out for a quickie will continue to do so just look in shops fuel etc clear enough for folks to see and still they keep buying except me if price goes up I stop until it comes down again
Andy

I do agree Murray. There are only so many different feeds because different fanciers demand different things and think certain mixes are superior to others but generally they all do the same. I am because of racing widowhood going to change my feeding a bit but up until now have just been feeding an all round mix all year round.