Loft floor dressing.

Want to know anything about feeding or the health of your birds post it here.
Devo1956

I was chatting to my friend Christoph in Germany. He was telling me how he prepares is loft for his youngsters.

Step 1 After scraping the floor, blow torch and spray disenfectant over the floor and leave to dry. And the put cat litter down for floor dressing.

Step 2 Adding hemp litter, this way the loft is always 100% dry, and helps build up immune system. This dressing will stay down until September.
Attachments
thumbnail (89).jpeg
thumbnail (91).jpeg
thumbnail (90).jpeg
Andy

The wood pellet cat litter does make a very good deep litter. I have used it on a couple of occasions but soon get fed up with it and would rather clean out every day. Whilst I agree that it can help to build immunity I think it can also hide some problems that would otherwise be seen on a scraped floor.
Phil has deep litter, I think probably made from the cat litter, that he has had down for must be around 10 years now. He will correct me if I’m wrong.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Devo1956

Andy wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:00 pm The wood pellet cat litter does make a very good deep litter. I have used it on a couple of occasions but soon get fed up with it and would rather clean out every day. Whilst I agree that it can help to build immunity I think it can also hide some problems that would otherwise be seen on a scraped floor.
Phil has deep litter, I think probably made from the cat litter, that he has had down for must be around 10 years now. He will correct me if I’m wrong.
Yes Andy, Christoph puts the 2 layers down. Cat litter and Hemp litter. He always does this yearly.
Murray

I am the same as Andy, I have tried all sorts of things on the floor but always end up going back to scraping the floor. Being in Australia where it';s usually fairly warm, even in winter, scraping out and letting the air flow through works well.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Trev

As I've said in previous topics, I am using deep litter. I'm using the wood pellets and once a week I turn it and add a loft treatment, I've been using Bamfords respirozorb but at the moment I've got Harkers loft treatment as it was on offer.
I do like what Christoph uses though, I'll have to look out for that hemp litter !!
Murray

That makes perfect sense when the days are short and time is limited.
When I was working I used battery powered fluorescent tubes in the winter so I could see to scrape out and feed them in the morning. The lights are cheap and work well. Of an evening I could leave them on until everything had enough and the babies had a late feed.
Murray

Of course my loft was by the back door, and winters here are pretty soft. We get the odd cold spell but not like you blokes.
I should imagine being out in the dark, in the cold and rain day after day would become monotonous. Deep litter during the winter especially would be a sensible idea.
PHILBODEN

You are correct Andy my deep litter is getting on for about 8 years old now I just remove the top layer about every 2 months but leave the lower 3 inches as it is, find my birds would sooner nest on the floor this is ok if you are just interested in long distance as I am, all the best for the coming season.
Trev

PHILBODEN wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:54 am You are correct Andy my deep litter is getting on for about 8 years old now I just remove the top layer about every 2 months but leave the lower 3 inches as it is, find my birds would sooner nest on the floor this is ok if you are just interested in long distance as I am, all the best for the coming season.
👍
Trev

Trev wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:52 am
PHILBODEN wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:54 am You are correct Andy my deep litter is getting on for about 8 years old now I just remove the top layer about every 2 months but leave the lower 3 inches as it is, find my birds would sooner nest on the floor this is ok if you are just interested in long distance as I am, all the best for the coming season.
👍 cheers for that Phil, all the best to you too mate, I hope it's a successful season for you 🤞😁