1st round of youngsters

Post your topics on breeding or family of pigeons here.
Andy

The first round of youngsters didn’t go without a few problems. I paired up 11 pairs of widowhoods and let 6 cocks and 10 hens together in the natural section all on Boxing Day.
The naturals have been quite unsuccessful. I left them to sort their own mates out. 4 pairs paired quite quickly. I got one youngster from 1 pair. Their other egg didn’t hatch. 2 pairs broke their eggs and 1 pair I decided to give pot eggs. So only have 1 youngster from these. These are still together at present and I do have 3 pairs on eggs that I will probably keep.
The widowhood’s which were all selected pairs were much better. The hens all laid over a 8 day spell apart from 1 hen who laid a few days later so was given pot eggs. Of the 20 eggs laid 19 hatched. All was going well. After about a week of the first ones hatching they started drinking a lot of water. I was putting fresh grit in every day that they were clearing up very quickly. Don’t know whether this was making them thirsty. At the same time I had also opened a new couple of bags of corn. The effect of the birds drinking so much water was that the droppings became very watery both in the old birds and the youngsters. The loft was getting in a right mess and I was cleaning out the loft and nest boxes twice a day. I found 1 baby dead outside the nest bowl at a couple of days old. Don’t know whether it fell out or was turfed out as the parents know it wasn’t right. I had one of the first pair of youngsters die at around 10 days old. I then had another 3 die a couple of days later. 1 I was surprised about but the other 2 were both the smaller ones in a pair. I was worried with the state of the droppings that I was going to lose a lot. But after these initial losses I didn’t lose anymore. The strange thing was that although the droppings were very watery the youngsters weren’t thin and they were quite feisty. They were feeding from the food pots themselves from around 14 days old. The odd old bird did suffer a little bit with dirty feathers from the wet droppings, but didn’t look like they sometimes do if wet feeding.
I was planning on removing the hens when the youngsters were around 14 days and leaving them with the cocks until 21 days old. But because of the state of things I decided to leave the hens in but watched to make sure none were looking to go back down on eggs. None did. So when the youngsters were 21 days old I weaned them along with their dams. They have been put together in the young bird section. The youngsters are feeding themselves and also getting topped up by the hens. I did get rid of 1 youngster that wasn’t doing so well. So now all weaned I have 14 youngsters. The widowhood’s will be re paired at the end of March and allowed to sit for 10 days before being removed into their own section when the cocks will be on widowhood.
The droppings in the cocks are still rather watery but there are some down feathers in the loft and I am letting them out every morning. 3 of them don’t do much but the other 8 are flying well. So I have a month now to get them right before re pairing.
Looking at the youngsters weaned at 21 days they have no feathers under their wings which I know some members like to see. They are different birds though a week later.

These are a few photos of the youngsters in with the hens.

IMG_3105.jpeg
IMG_3106.jpeg
IMG_3111.jpeg
IMG_3113.jpeg
IMG_3108.jpeg
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Buster121

Some nice looking babies there Andy, the red and cheq do look to young but that is my preference as you say we all do things differently
Trev

It's a shame you've had a couple of set backs Andy, the babies you have weaned are looking strong enough, they are certainly getting stuck into the feed through lol
Although as with Buster a couple of them do look rather small, including the little Red Chequer, but he does look an inquisitive and fiesty little chap 👍😁
I hope the cock birds get over whether was wrong with them soon Andy and that you can get them fit for repairing soon.
All the best
Andy

Buster121 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:39 pm Some nice looking babies there Andy, the red and cheq do look to young but that is my preference as you say we all do things differently
The red grizzle was weaned yesterday, 21 days old. The chequer, mealy and 2 blues were weaned this morning. Again 21 days old.
In the second photo the blue and blue pied with their wings up are 2 of the eldest at now 28 days old. You can see that the blue is fully feathered under the wing now. 7 of the youngsters are out of yours Buster, including the blue pied, mealy, small blue chequer, 2 blues a dark chequer and a blue chequer. You can see several of the youngsters feeding from the trough in the first couple of photos.
The blue chequer and dark chequer from yours is in between the chequer w/f and the blue on the far side of the through.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
George and Morgan

they are looking good and strong ybs Andy
Buster121

Andy wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:10 pm
Buster121 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:39 pm Some nice looking babies there Andy, the red and cheq do look to young but that is my preference as you say we all do things differently
The red grizzle was weaned yesterday, 21 days old. The chequer, mealy and 2 blues were weaned this morning. Again 21 days old.
In the second photo the blue and blue pied with their wings up are 2 of the eldest at now 28 days old. You can see that the blue is fully feathered under the wing now. 7 of the youngsters are out of yours Buster, including the blue pied, mealy, small blue chequer, 2 blues a dark chequer and a blue chequer. You can see several of the youngsters feeding from the trough in the first couple of photos.
The blue chequer and dark chequer from yours is in between the chequer w/f and the blue on the far side of the through.
That is why they look to young then, give them a day or two and they will be in the trough with the rest, hope they all turn out well and all recover from whatever ails them, shame about the lost ones and all the best with them, forgot to say the mealy looks like his parent from what I can remember
Murray

Some lovely youngsters there, Andy.
I have to say your account of the raising of this round set off alarm bells for me. Watery droppings in most of the pigeons, a few babies failing to thrive, it sounds very much to me like your pigeons have wet canker.
You are breeding in the middle of the English winter, and it seems to have been a wet one. I know that you are like me, you don't use medications, but if I were you I would make an exception. I would get some Emtryl and give every pigeon a course of it at about 2/3 the stated dose. Emtryl is pretty potent, and I think that unless they have visible canker using it at full strength is risky.
I bit the bullet and did mine last year as some of the pigeons I bought in had trouble, wet nests and babies not thriving the year before. I gave them a 5 day course at 2/3 strength, and every baby was perfect and all the droppings have been spot on since. I won't have to do it again.
You will recoil at the suggestion but you want the babies getting the best start and those widowhood cocks need to be in super form, which will not happen if they have underlying canker.
Feel free to disagree with me, but I suspect I might not be far wrong.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Devo1956

My own views on breeding youngsters, i do not move them until they are ready. This can cause stress to the youngster that leads to a secondary impact not only to the youngsters, but others around. I hope they continue to grow. Just my thoughts mate. There are no rights or wrongs in breeding, it is down to the individual on what they want and how it is done.
Last edited by Devo1956 on Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Murray

I let mine pretty much wean themselves, when they start jumping out of the nest box. I know others wean at 21 days or 23 days, and are very successful.
It's what suits the individual.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Trev

Murray wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:49 pm I let mine pretty much wean themselves, when they start jumping out of the nest box. I know others wean at 21 days or 23 days, and are very successful.
It's what suits the individual.
I've usually looked to wean mine between 24 and 28 days depending on the feather coverage under the wings, as I say, these days I leave them to wean themselves as I don't have space for a youngbird section at the moment.
As you and Devo say, it's another of those individual preferences.
If you go by the survival of the fittest then weaning early could mean that any week youngsters probably won't make it so you are only left with good, strong babies.