Joining two hobbies

Talk about anything here. ( non pigeon related please)
Buster121

Andy wrote: ↑Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:04 am
Murray wrote: ↑Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:53 am
Trev wrote: ↑Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:51 am

Brilliant Muzza, I love it mateπŸ‘ I like the little grey Ferguson tractor too πŸ‘
It looks a bit like a grey Fergy, but it's actually a 1940's Duetz. It was the best I could find in 0 scale.
We had an old grey Fergy T40 on the farm at Arundel when I worked for the Duke of Norfolk. It had the calf crate on the back and was used for moving calves around or getting them in from the fields when first born. We used to have to leave it on a slope though so that we could bump start lol. My eldest son started his driving of tractors on this when he was just 3 years old. I would go into the calving field and pick up a newly born calf. I would then point the tractor towards the gate way, put it on tick over and sit Shane in the tractor seat. With no power steering it didn’t move off line much but he would keep it straight. I would then walk behind with the calves mother following the tractor. As we got to the gate way I would jump back on the tractor just to get it through the gate. Not sure about health and safety though lol. πŸ˜‚
Good old days that we will never get back
Murray

In the north of the state there are a lot of orchards and the old Ferguson tractors are still favored power. There's a lot of them still working and quite an industry overhauling and maintaining them. With an engine re condition and a bare metal repaint they are good to go for another decade or two. :D
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Trev

Trev wrote: ↑Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:51 am
Murray wrote: ↑Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:12 am As I mentioned, my other bad habit is model trains.
The Australian magazine, Narrow Gauge Down Under, offered a small 4 wheel flat car free to any readers who wanted to "kit bash" it into something.
So I did. 008.JPG
It's a mobile pigeon loft! :D
The idea came from the mobile lofts on busses and lorries during WW1. This has a different back story that I made up, but it marries up the trains with the pigeons neatly.
Brilliant Muzza, I love it mateπŸ‘ I like the little grey Ferguson tractor too πŸ‘
It looks a bit like a grey Fergy, but it's actually a 1940's Duetz. It was the best I could find in 0 scale.
Really !! I am surprised, to be honest I didn't realise deutz had been around that long. You live and learn.
Trev

Buster121 wrote: ↑Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:37 pm
Andy wrote: ↑Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:04 am
We had an old grey Fergy T40 on the farm at Arundel when I worked for the Duke of Norfolk. It had the calf crate on the back and was used for moving calves around or getting them in from the fields when first born. We used to have to leave it on a slope though so that we could bump start lol. My eldest son started his driving of tractors on this when he was just 3 years old. I would go into the calving field and pick up a newly born calf. I would then point the tractor towards the gate way, put it on tick over and sit Shane in the tractor seat. With no power steering it didn’t move off line much but he would keep it straight. I would then walk behind with the calves mother following the tractor. As we got to the gate way I would jump back on the tractor just to get it through the gate. Not sure about health and safety though lol. πŸ˜‚
Good old days that we will never get back
Sadly you are right there mate πŸ˜ͺ
They had a Grey Ferguson at Brinsbury College too didn't they Andy, along with the Massey 135 !!!
We also had both at Marsh Green on the Isle of Wight, the 135 was our scraper tractor, the grey Ferguson was a spare scraper tractor during the winter, it wasn't much fun in the rain though as it didn't have a cab πŸ˜•πŸ˜¬πŸ˜‚ In the summer we used to tow the fencing trailer or to take the feed out to the young stock, again lovely on a nice sunny day but not so good in the rain 😟 we did have other options if it was too wet lol πŸ˜‚
Trev

Murray wrote: ↑Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:58 pm In the north of the state there are a lot of orchards and the old Ferguson tractors are still favored power. There's a lot of them still working and quite an industry overhauling and maintaining them. With an engine re condition and a bare metal repaint they are good to go for another decade or two. :D
A lot of the older and smaller tractors get shipped abroad from over here.
Trev

Trev wrote: ↑Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:56 pm
Murray wrote: ↑Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:58 pm In the north of the state there are a lot of orchards and the old Ferguson tractors are still favored power. There's a lot of them still working and quite an industry overhauling and maintaining them. With an engine re condition and a bare metal repaint they are good to go for another decade or two. :D
A lot of the older and smaller tractors get shipped abroad from over here.
To be honest although technology has really moved on and the modern tractors are enormous and pretty much drive themselves, there are some big farms that are going back to the older tractors because they can actually fix them themselves and don't lose time and money waiting for someone with a computer to come out and reset the engine !!!
Murray

That's the truth, Trev. Some of the new tractors are very impressive, but for lighter work and horticulture a petrol tractor like a Fergy with a carburetor and spark plugs is sometimes a better bet.
You can fix an old tractor with a set of ring spanners, some gaskets and a hammer. For the new stuff you need a trained technician with a scan tool, and a minor miracle.
Trev

Murray wrote: ↑Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:57 pm That's the truth, Trev. Some of the new tractors are very impressive, but for lighter work and horticulture a petrol tractor like a Fergy with a carburetor and spark plugs is sometimes a better bet.
You can fix an old tractor with a set of ring spanners, some gaskets and a hammer. For the new stuff you need a trained technician with a scan tool, and a minor miracle.
We certainly are losing the old skills which is very sad but I guess to our kids and theirs it's all they will know.
Murray

Murray wrote: ↑Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:12 am As I mentioned, my other bad habit is model trains.
The Australian magazine, Narrow Gauge Down Under, offered a small 4 wheel flat car free to any readers who wanted to "kit bash" it into something.
So I did. 008.JPG
It's a mobile pigeon loft! :D
The idea came from the mobile lofts on busses and lorries during WW1. This has a different back story that I made up, but it marries up the trains with the pigeons neatly.
There's a laugh. My little mobile pigeon loft was awarded the prize for the best and most original entry. I was quite chuffed :D
Andy

Well done Murray. It’s a lovely little piece. What’s your prize?
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.