A double blow 😕

Talk about anything racing pigeon related here aslong as there isnt a section for it.
Trev

Buster121 wrote: ↑Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:27 pm Sorry to see mate and a shame about the eggs
Cheers mate
Trev

Murray wrote: ↑Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:35 pm That is a shame. Too late now I guess, but maybe you could have slipped those eggs under another pair. I have put eggs that were stone cold under a pair and they hatched.
We learn to take the good with the bad in this game, but it is a blow when that happens :cry:
Thanks Muzza, as it happens I did put the eggs under another pair just in case 🀞 one of the eggs had just started chipping and when I put them to my ear I couldn't hear anything so I'm holding my breath, but you never know I might get lucky πŸ€žπŸ™
I do remember as a child just starting with my own pigeons I took an egg that Dad had thrown out, off the compost and putting it under one of my pairs and that did hatch, I've no idea how old the egg was. He turned out to be quite a useful pigeon, Blue Checker number 34, funny how some birds just stay in your memory.
Trev

Trev wrote: ↑Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:22 am
Devo1956 wrote: ↑Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:34 am So sorry to hear Trev, a little knock back for you. So sad when they go that way, i hope things become more better for your breeding of future birds.
I know it is all part of the sport these days and something we have to live with but it doesn't make it any easier, I started training/racing 41 youngbirds and finished with 32 so to lose 3 of these off the loft plus of course one of my stock birds and a bird that flew Perth to the hawk is just bloody annoying 😑 but I still have plenty of nice birds to work with so onwards and upwards πŸ‘
Having just posted this I realised that I hadn't actually given the latest update πŸ˜•
After discovering this hen missing I decided to go through all my birds as I need to do an updated ring list for the club Secretary.
As you know after losing a few birds back in October, including one of my stock cocks and a 2 year that had flown Perth, I locked the birds up for the winter. I did a list of birds back then and had 71 birds in my main loft, this included some birds that won't/can't race, 36 of these are yearlings (4 of them late breds). Having finally got my loft roof finished I let the birds out again on the 31st of February, since then they have been out no more than 4 times for about an hour a time. To my disappointment I found I was down to 68 birds, after going through my records I discovered that another 3 yearlings were missing, 2 of these were raced as youngsters, 1 of them had all 8 races and was out of the stock cock I lost in October and was my 7th most consistent youngbird, the other had 5 of the 8 races including the longest youngbird race, he was out of the cock that flew Perth who I also lost in October 😟 The late bred was a nice blue pied cock out of the blue cock who was 4th club Hexham 292mls and 3rd Club Perth 404mls crossed with Busters Blue pied hen πŸ˜ͺ So including the red hen I lost on Thursday, that's 4 birds gone in the 5 times they've been out, looks like they'll be back on lockdown for a bit 😟
Buster121

Trev that is bad luck, I do remember you saying in another post a while ago saying you had 68 birds in there
Trev

Buster121 wrote: ↑Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:58 am Trev that is bad luck, I do remember you saying in another post a while ago saying you had 68 birds in there
I've actually got 80 birds in total Buster with the 12 I have in my small shed πŸ˜¬πŸ˜• I did unfortunately have to part with 3 a few weeks ago, I've taken 4 hens from the main loft to go with the new cocks, and moved 3 from the small shed into the main loft. I've also got 2 birds that have decided they prefer it across the field at our Mums lol πŸ˜¬πŸ˜‚ so my numbers have moved around a bit, funny thing is I do also seem to have a bird turn up that wasn't on my last list but I'm sure he's been here all winter πŸ˜• Another reason for getting my numbers down, I don't like not knowing my birds at a glance !!
Trev

It's sadly looking like the babies have died πŸ˜ͺ both had started chipping but no progress has been made today and both are silent πŸ˜₯ I will leave them a couple more days but am pretty certain they've gone.
Buster121

Trev wrote: ↑Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:30 pm It's sadly looking like the babies have died πŸ˜ͺ both had started chipping but no progress has been made today and both are silent πŸ˜₯ I will leave them a couple more days but am pretty certain they've gone.
Real shame
Murray

A real pigeon man feels the loss when that happens. You had your hopes for those babies and they are lost.
You feel sad and a little bit angry, which is natural.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.
Andy

That’s a shame Trev. Unfortunately you were a little late with them especially as they were so near to hatching.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Trev

Andy wrote: ↑Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:44 am That’s a shame Trev. Unfortunately you were a little late with them especially as they were so near to hatching.
Yes Andy, I'm a bit annoyed with myself for not noticing she was missing the night before, if I'd moved the eggs in the morning they might have survived 😑😟