A double blow 😕

Talk about anything racing pigeon related here aslong as there isnt a section for it.
Trev

On Thursday evening after work, as it had been a nice bright afternoon and I got in a bit earlier I decided to let the birds out for a fly, they were only out for about an hour and when I fed them in I didn't notice anything amiss. Due to it still being half dark in the mornings I don't spend much time in there at the moment and just put food and water down so didn't notice anything yesterday morning, when I fed the birds yesterday evening I did half notice a pair of eggs not being sat on but as they weren't the only ones I just assumed the pair had come off to feed. Unfortunately to my dismay this morning on feeding the birds I discovered the eggs uncovered again, I felt the eggs and they were stone cold 😟 I had a scout around the birds and it became apparent that the hen was missing πŸ˜₯ She was a nice little Red out of a Des Coulter stock pair, she had flown every young bird race last year so sadly there is only one place she has gone 😑🀬 bloody hawk 🀬 The double whammy to this is that the eggs she was sitting on is a pair of first round eggs from one of the new stock cocks which were due to hatch this weekend πŸ˜ͺπŸ˜ͺ
Devo1956

So sorry to hear Trev, a little knock back for you. So sad when they go that way, i hope things become more better for your breeding of future birds.
Buster121

Sorry to see mate and a shame about the eggs
George and Morgan

that is disappointing Trev do you have another hen for the cock
Andy

That is such a shame Trev. Hopefully your get the cock repaired and get something from him. It is very upsetting to have a bird that has raced well go missing from around the loft. I had a young cock that had every race last year then went missing from around the loft a week after the last race.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Andy

Unfortunately although upsetting and annoying the only thing we can do is not dwell on those that have gone. There is nothing we can do about them it’s just a case of concentrating on those we have.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Murray

That is a shame. Too late now I guess, but maybe you could have slipped those eggs under another pair. I have put eggs that were stone cold under a pair and they hatched.
We learn to take the good with the bad in this game, but it is a blow when that happens :cry:
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.
Trev

George and Morgan wrote: ↑Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:29 pm that is disappointing Trev do you have another hen for the cock
I've got plenty of birds mate and do need to reduce my numbers but hate losing them around the loft, and it's always the ones you really want that seem to go, not the ones that you could without πŸ˜•πŸ˜Ÿ Not that I like losing any which is why I have too many in the first place 😬
Trev

Andy wrote: ↑Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:47 pm That is such a shame Trev. Hopefully your get the cock repaired and get something from him. It is very upsetting to have a bird that has raced well go missing from around the loft. I had a young cock that had every race last year then went missing from around the loft a week after the last race.
The Cock birs is only a stray I got in last year so I'm too bothered about getting anything from him, he needs to prove himself first. He is a nice bird though and had one race last year.
That is the frustrating thing Andy, especially when you are still trying to establish and improve a team, it's those birds you want to build on. I seem to keep on losing what I consider to be my most reliable/promising birds.
Trev

Devo1956 wrote: ↑Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:34 am So sorry to hear Trev, a little knock back for you. So sad when they go that way, i hope things become more better for your breeding of future birds.
I know it is all part of the sport these days and something we have to live with but it doesn't make it any easier, I started training/racing 41 youngbirds and finished with 32 so to lose 3 of these off the loft plus of course one of my stock birds and a bird that flew Perth to the hawk is just bloody annoying 😑 but I still have plenty of nice birds to work with so onwards and upwards πŸ‘