Daily Feed

Talk about anything here. ( non pigeon related please)
Buster121

How much feed do you use per day, I use around 8kg every day
George and Morgan

don't take much notice do give enough maybe too much
Devo1956

I would use 1.5 oz if racing and training for each bird. If they are working hard make sure it's good nutrition.
Trev

Same as Dev, mine get about 1.25 to 1.50 ounces per bird per day, so with around 60 birds here that equates to about 2.5kg/day. At the moment because the birds have been mostly shut in for 4 months they are probably only eating half that !! The amount they eat will increase as the birds come out more and of course when they start feeding babies.
Having said that it is only a guide and that will increase/decrease daily depending on how quickly they eat the feed and if there is any left from the previous feed, also when I start breeding and through the later part of the season they will be hopper fed beans.
Devo1956

Trev wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:36 pm Same as Dev, mine get about 1.25 to 1.50 ounces per bird per day, so with around 60 birds here that equates to about 2.5kg/day. At the moment because the birds have been mostly shut in for 4 months they are probably only eating half that !! The amount they eat will increase as the birds come out more and of course when they start feeding babies.
Having said that it is only a guide and that will increase/decrease daily depending on how quickly they eat the feed and if there is any left from the previous feed, also when I start breeding and through the later part of the season they will be hopper fed beans.
Yes Trev, no hard and set rules. You know your birds well, so it is important to understand how each individual bird, performs on their travels through how they eat. Keeping in mind the 4 seasons.
Andy

All winter I have been just filling the troughs up in the morning and taking away what’s left in the afternoon after work. Now that they are feeding youngsters they are fed in their nest boxes. I give them a handful each pair in the morning and again in the afternoon. Once the youngsters are weaned the cocks and hens will have been separated. The hens will be fed twice a day in the trough and the cocks fed in their boxes. The cocks will be exercised twice a day and kept fairly tight on feed, but not starved.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Murray

I feed them as much as they can eat, twice a day.
At present with them being locked in a shed they are not eating as much as when they are free flying. Also they were leaving the peas and most of the maize so I have taken 5 parts of the normal mix and added 1 of safflower, 1 of milo and 1 of wheat. They seem to be doing fine on that.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.
George and Morgan

mine leave the peas
Murray

George and Morgan wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:38 am mine leave the peas
Yes George, unless they are feeding youngsters they do leave the peas. I suppose they know what they need.
Peas are expensive, and if they are going to waste them then I am happy to add more grains and safflower which they want.
Safflower is not cheap, but a kilo of saff is a lot. it's quite bulky.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.
George and Morgan

agree Murray my mixture has no maize