Does cider vinegar go off ??

Talk about anything racing pigeon related here aslong as there isnt a section for it.
Trev

Murray wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:51 pm I would beg to differ there. The product is probably perfectly safe, but I would imagine it has lost it's potency after a year.
The active ingredient in garlic, alicin, is released when you crush it. That is what causes the smell. Like any organic substance it immediately begins to oxidize and degrade. After a long time there may be no effective garlic extract left.
That is why I crush a fresh clove of garlic and add cider vinegar to it. I have also tasted apple cider vinegar that has been in the cupboard for a long time. It had lost it's acidity. Useless.
Each to their own, but I buy small bottles of ACV with the mother, and crush fresh garlic.
Thanks for that Muzza, that is kinda what I was wondering, unfortunately I've just brought myself another 5ltrs 😬 I'll give it some thought, maybe find a different way to store it 🤔
Murray

Trev, I need to emphasize that my comments are simply my opinion. I do not wish to imply that products on the market do not work.
For myself, I prefer to use whole cloves of fresh garlic. How do you tell if garlic is fresh, you ask.
Simple. Peel a clove of garlic. Bang it with the big knife. Put it in a bottle of water.
If it sinks, it is fresh and full of juice. If it floats, it is old and you need to tip it out and start again. I do, often.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.
Trev

Murray wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:55 am Trev, I need to emphasize that my comments are simply my opinion. I do not wish to imply that products on the market do not work.
For myself, I prefer to use whole cloves of fresh garlic. How do you tell if garlic is fresh, you ask.
Simple. Peel a clove of garlic. Bang it with the big knife. Put it in a bottle of water.
If it sinks, it is fresh and full of juice. If it floats, it is old and you need to tip it out and start again. I do, often.
👍😁
Cheers Muzza