Does cider vinegar go off ??

Talk about anything racing pigeon related here aslong as there isnt a section for it.
Trev

I did ask this question some time ago in another post but didn't get any response πŸ˜¬πŸ˜•πŸ˜
https://www.viovet.co.uk/Chicken-Lickin ... CAQAvD_BwE

This is the product I use at the moment, it's more cost effective to buy it in larger volumes so I buy 5 litres. This will pretty much last me all year but towards the end it does change colour a bit and gets the odd bit of debris/slime (almost like a skin) in it, it doesn't say anywhere on the bottle about using it within so many days of opening and I can't find a use by date on it so assume it is still fine to use. It doesn't appear to harm the birds as it's used in such small quantities, but could of course loose some of its beneficial properties, I'd be interested in hearing others views on this !!!
Devo1956

I bought a bottle of mother cider vinegar last year, the best before date is 02/2028. So i would say a 5 year shelf life. If this helps Trev, store in a cool place and i think it should be Ok.
Buster121

Must of missed it last time you asked, sorry mate, give it a good regular shake and should be fine
Andy

Should be fine. It does get bitty after a while but if it’s got the mother in it it’s like live yoghurt, naturally maturing.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Trev

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated πŸ‘πŸ˜
Trev

Devo1956 wrote: ↑Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:00 pm I bought a bottle of mother cider vinegar last year, the best before date is 02/2028. So i would say a 5 year shelf life. If this helps Trev, store in a cool place and i think it should be Ok.
Its certainly cool enough at the moment, but it does get warm in the summer so maybe I'll store it elsewhere when it warms up. It could be cooler in there this year of course now I've got a different roof on the loft.
Buster121

Andy wrote: ↑Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:23 pm Should be fine. It does get bitty after a while but if it’s got the mother in it it’s like live yoghurt, naturally maturing.
Correct
Trev

Buster121 wrote: ↑Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:21 pm Must of missed it last time you asked, sorry mate, give it a good regular shake and should be fine
No worries mate, it was a while ago and only something I added to another topic, I can't remember what topic it was lol πŸ˜•πŸ˜πŸ˜‚ I've got some answers now so that's the main thing πŸ‘πŸ˜
Trev

Andy wrote: ↑Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:23 pm Should be fine. It does get bitty after a while but if it’s got the mother in it it’s like live yoghurt, naturally maturing.
Cheers Andy πŸ‘πŸ˜
Murray

I would beg to differ there. The product is probably perfectly safe, but I would imagine it has lost it's potency after a year.
The active ingredient in garlic, alicin, is released when you crush it. That is what causes the smell. Like any organic substance it immediately begins to oxidize and degrade. After a long time there may be no effective garlic extract left.
That is why I crush a fresh clove of garlic and add cider vinegar to it. I have also tasted apple cider vinegar that has been in the cupboard for a long time. It had lost it's acidity. Useless.
Each to their own, but I buy small bottles of ACV with the mother, and crush fresh garlic.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.