Finished for the season

Talk about anything racing pigeon related here aslong as there isnt a section for it.
Andy

I’ve had the birds on open loft for the past week or so. The birds have been flying really well and enjoying their freedom to come and go as they like. They have been coming down onto the garden for a poke around at times. Roxanna went up the garden yesterday afternoon and found a small pile of feathers on the lawn. I went up to check and got the birds in but noticed I was one missing. I wasn’t sure whether it was a cat or a hawk that had had it. There weren’t that many feathers so thought that if it had been a hawk it must have got away but no sign of it. On checking in the evening I realised it was a yearling hen that I had missing. She was picked up from Weymouth 30 miles away as a youngster still squeaking after a hawk strike last year. She had a bit of an injury then.
There was no sign of her this morning or all day. I still couldn’t decide whether it had been a cat or a hawk. I didn’t let them out today. I went and checked on the birds this evening and when I came out of the loft I saw her sat on the house roof. I could see straight away they she was in a bad way. After a while she came in and went back on her eggs. She has half of her tail missing. Some nasty gashes on her back and down one side. She is limping and one eye is partly closed. I would almost certainly say from her injuries that it was a hawk. Which In someways I prefer. At least if it’s a sparrowhawk it will only be a temporary problem and she did escape so the hawk didn’t get a meal. I think if it had it would be more likely to come back. I know there are a couple of local ones about. Hopefully she will make a full recovery but that is her season finished before it’s even started. She was trained as a youngster and did have one race so happy to just leave her be this season.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
George and Morgan

at first i thought you had finished for the season Andy she may well breed you a good bird
Andy

George and Morgan wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:46 pm at first i thought you had finished for the season Andy she may well breed you a good bird
I am going to keep the pair of eggs she’s sitting. She is a nice hen bred from the stock birds of John & Ben. She has paired to a full brother but will worth seeing how they turn out. I may just keep them in for a couple of days and be a bit wary when letting them out until the end of the month when the sparrowhawk should have gone to nest.
Murray

Andy wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:07 pm
George and Morgan wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:46 pm at first i thought you had finished for the season Andy she may well breed you a good bird
I am going to keep the pair of eggs she’s sitting. She is a nice hen bred from the stock birds of John & Ben. She has paired to a full brother but will worth seeing how they turn out. I may just keep them in for a couple of days and be a bit wary when letting them out until the end of the month when the sparrowhawk should have gone to nest.
Andy, I am pleased she is back, but she has been hit a couple of times. One does wonder if it is the material to win a prize from a distance race over the channel.
My immediate thought would be, no.
But if you have a perch for the babies from those eggs, go for it.
What have you got to lose? ;)
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.
Andy

Murray wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:15 am
Andy wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:07 pm
Andy, I am pleased she is back, but she has been hit a couple of times. One does wonder if it is the material to win a prize from a distance race over the channel.
My immediate thought would be, no.
But if you have a perch for the babies from those eggs, go for it.
What have you got to lose? ;)
I understand what your saying Murray. I hadn’t looked at it that way. She is still alive this morning but not good on her leg. The other birds don’t like her when she’s moving about. Unfortunately she nested on the floor as if she had a nest box I would shut her in. She isn’t sitting the eggs very well as I don’t think she can get comfortable. I will see how she goes today and may lock her in a box later.
Andy

This is the poor hen today.
45BF4A6E-DBB6-49BD-94E3-2B57C76B51D4.jpeg
F2DF028D-83F5-4905-B835-2B5442E583BA.jpeg
Trev

Andy wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:20 pm This is the poor hen today.

She certainly is a brave little bird Andy, I think the biggest problem with racing her now would be her mental state of mind. Having suffered like that she probably won't ever be the same bird again but I certainly think she is worth breeding a round or two from to test her out. I'd put those eggs under another pair and let her sit pots for as long as she wants too. I've had some good birds bred out of brother and sister pairings over the years, but then I've also had some real disasters lol. It is a gamble but that's part of the fun 👍😀
I hope the hawk doesn't give you any more problems 🤞
Andy

Trev wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:02 pm

She certainly is a brave little bird Andy, I think the biggest problem with racing her now would be her mental state of mind. Having suffered like that she probably won't ever be the same bird again but I certainly think she is worth breeding a round or two from to test her out. I'd put those eggs under another pair and let her sit pots for as long as she wants too. I've had some good birds bred out of brother and sister pairings over the years, but then I've also had some real disasters lol. It is a gamble but that's part of the fun 👍😀
They are pot eggs Trev. I had already moved them under another pair on Saturday when she was missing. She’s not sitting very well as I think she is very uncomfortable. If she improves over the next few days I may give her one of her eggs back.
Trev

Andy wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:11 pm
Trev wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:02 pm

They are pot eggs Trev. I had already moved them under another pair on Saturday when she was missing. She’s not sitting very well as I think she is very uncomfortable. If she improves over the next few days I may give her one of her eggs back.
Hopefully she will Andy, they are resilient little things.
Andy

She is still alive but still looks very sore. I think she should be ok. I have had the birds out again today although for a couple of restricted periods. I had them out for an hour this morning and again for a couple of hours this afternoon. No problems today.