Tips

Need any help or advice post it here.
Andy

Murray wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:10 am
Devo1956 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:08 am Give your youngsters a chance to mature. Do not overwork and burn them out with long, hard training flights.
We would all agree with that. But we need to look at how they are flying at home. If your youngsters are flying like lunatics for an hour at home, they will be flying maybe 40 miles, probably more every day. I don't train mine every day or go 40 miles until just before the first race, but I have found it easy to be too soft on them and under train them.
Of course the pigeons need to be jumping out of their skins. Flying for 20 minutes, land in a clatter, eyes sticking out and looking mad, catch their breath and go, ZOOM! :o off again.
Youngsters flying loops around the shed because they are not allowed to come down until the flag comes down......Different thing.
Does anyone agree? ;)
I would have agreed a couple of years ago. I didn’t race the youngsters just giving them 3 or 4 short trainers and letting them mature. Lost quite a few as yearlings. This last year I paired up late and because of having club racing available I gave them 5 short tosses before the first race. On the first race they were only between 12 & 16 weeks old. Apart from one bad race, the third one, I lost very few. I had better returns than most in the club who were racing much older youngsters and ended the season of 8 races with half the number I started with. Some of whom had every race.
I have paired up early this year because of flying widowhood. But with it seems that I can race youngsters in the combine from the start of the season I will look to start the early. Although having said that they won’t race over 100 miles as we have no races over that distance.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Andy

I have never flagged or seen the need to. If they don’t fly willingly there’s something wrong. If I tried here they would just land on one of the many high buildings around me.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Devo1956

Trev wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:56 am
Devo1956 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:58 am
Buster121 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:47 am

I have tried mint, garlic, onions, lavender, and the latest is eucalyptus trees I bought 2 last year and now they around 6feet tall and have to say nothing has worked I even spend £ 30 per month on the poison blocks and we still overun with the damn things
I did use the big cheese blocks myself, but i must say you have to keep on topping up. My back garden backs on to railway.
I can imagine being next to the railway line must be a bit of an issue with vermin 😬
We are ok here most of the summer when there are crops in the fields but they are a problem once the crops have been harvested and right through the winter, I get rid of one lot then after a couple of weeks clear another load move in.
Yes Trev, a bit of a problem living by the railway. but its a case of keeping batting with the blocks. I am going to try a few plants. .
Trev

Devo1956 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:27 pm
Devo1956 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:58 am

I did use the big cheese blocks myself, but i must say you have to keep on topping up. My back garden backs on to railway.
I can imagine being next to the railway line must be a bit of an issue with vermin 😬
We are ok here most of the summer when there are crops in the fields but they are a problem once the crops have been harvested and right through the winter, I get rid of one lot then after a couple of weeks clear another load move in.
Yes Trev, a bit of a problem living by the railway. but its a case of keeping batting with the blocks. I am going to try a few plants. .
Anything is worth a try mate especially if it's natural and pain free 👍 I do hate rats and use the bait as there aren't really any other effective solutions but I really don't like them as it's a horrible death, as a farmer I'm not opposed to killing when necessary but if you are going to do it try to make it stress free, quick and painless.
Let us know how you get on with it mate, I'd certainly be interested 👍
Devo1956

Trev wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:24 am

Anything is worth a try mate especially if it's natural and pain free 👍 I do hate rats and use the bait as there aren't really any other effective solutions but I really don't like them as it's a horrible death, as a farmer I'm not opposed to killing when necessary but if you are going to do it try to make it stress free, quick and painless.
I was reading last night, a spoonful, of hot chilli flakes, mint, and garlic. all grounded up. Put into a bowl and add boiling water, then stir and leave to go cold overnight. Next day sieve and put the juice into a spray bottle. then spray where you think the mice or rats. Are gaining entry. i think its worth a try..
Buster121

Devo I have tried the peppermint as a spray and never worked either, in fact nothing I have tried has worked I even tried the bicarbinate soda and flour mix
Devo1956

Buster121 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:30 pm Devo I have tried the peppermint as a spray and never worked either, in fact nothing I have tried has worked I even tried the bicarbinate soda and flour mix
Its a good 6 weeks since I saw any Buster, i put the big cheese blocks down.
Trev

Devo1956 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:44 am
Trev wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:24 am

I was reading last night, a spoonful, of hot chilli flakes, mint, and garlic. all grounded up. Put into a bowl and add boiling water, then stir and leave to go cold overnight. Next day sieve and put the juice into a spray bottle. then spray where you think the mice or rats. Are gaining entry. i think its worth a try..
Gotta be worth a try mate 👍 the chilli flakes and garlic would certainly keep me away lol 🤣😂🤣