Scottish Christmas Race

Talk about anything here. ( non pigeon related please)
Buster121

Sounds good to me
Devo1956

Andy wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:49 pm
Devo1956 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:19 pm
Andy wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:15 pm

Our combine have decided, and voted on, that our old bird program is shortened to 12 races instead of 14, starting 2 weeks later. So first race will be 27th April. I think the proposal to race any age through the whole season was also accepted. With the longest Combine race for me being only 102 miles and pairing up next week I could have youngsters almost ready to start by the 27th April.
I think it's time to get some sprinters Andy, 102 miles will be done in no time. It's a case of out and gone. Thanks for feedback.
Should suit my new system of widowhood. I will be interesting to see how the birds I have got go, especially the ones from Buster. I will have some more youngsters from Buster again this year, if he agrees lol, and I am also getting some from Rich. These will be sprinters.
The trouble with our combine, and our club Dev, is that there are some top national, and international fliers in it that seem to dictate. They use the combine just to prepare their birds for the channel races so only want short races in the combine without too much time in the baskets. It was ok when the combine could go across the channel. 3 of the combine races are channel races on the same weekend as sprint races but these are with birds sent with the national/classic clubs and then only if you have the relevant paperwork and vet inspections.
Well Andy widowhood is a very fine balance system. your birds are on blob or not. So i do hope you get some sprinters in to give you a chance. The game as changed for all your members now, so be ready. Good luck with your breeding and your plans for racing.
Andy

I raced widowhood for a good many years. I am going to do the same system as I did back then. If you get it right it is a great system and a relatively easy system provided you have the right loft set up, which is what I have been doing the alterations for. I know a lot of people have moved away from true widowhood to fly roundabout, chaos, or variations of them so that they can race the hens. But I don’t think you get the best from either sex this way. I don’t mind not being able to race the hens. They will have opportunities to be raced. I didn’t see the point in worrying about racing the hens when the cocks were winning. The hens I wanted to be breeding the winning cocks.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Devo1956

Andy wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:03 pm I raced widowhood for a good many years. I am going to do the same system as I did back then. If you get it right it is a great system and a relatively easy system provided you have the right loft set up, which is what I have been doing the alterations for. I know a lot of people have moved away from true widowhood to fly roundabout, chaos, or variations of them so that they can race the hens. But I don’t think you get the best from either sex this way. I don’t mind not being able to race the hens. They will have opportunities to be raced. I didn’t see the point in worrying about racing the hens when the cocks were winning. The hens I wanted to be breeding the winning cocks.
It sounds like you have done your planning, and it's really good to hear. All the best with your plans, go for it Andy.
Trev

Andy wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:15 pm
Trev wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:01 pm Having had a club meeting last Tuesday to discuss proposals for our Club and Federation AGMs we have some members who are proposing that our race programme starts in March next season 😬😕 it gets earlier every year 😟 I certainly won't be starting that early, my birds will only just be coming out after the winter lockdown by then 😉😁
Our combine have decided, and voted on, that our old bird program is shortened to 12 races instead of 14, starting 2 weeks later. So first race will be 27th April. I think the proposal to race any age through the whole season was also accepted. With the longest Combine race for me being only 102 miles and pairing up next week I could have youngsters almost ready to start by the 27th April.
The last weekend in April would suit me, it's the way it always used to be.
Trev

Good luck with your plans Andy, I hope 2024 is a good season for you bruv.