Most pairs on eggs

Talk about anything racing pigeon related here aslong as there isnt a section for it.
Trev

Murray wrote: โ†‘Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:11 am
Andy wrote: โ†‘Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:56 am I agree Murray that you can keep birds in too long. When they are eventually let out all they want to do is fly. I havenโ€™t had much success in breaking old birds that have been shut in for a long time. Even with youngsters that I got from Louella that were kept in for a long time to make sure I had something out of them all disappeared when let out the first time.
I once had a Stichelbaut x Jansen hen from an old Dutch bloke who lived in Christchurch, NZ.
He had one that had had arrived in time to win the Old Bird National, 575 miles and quite a lot of money, but, the thing sat out on the roof, and didn't win.
He was furious, and promised to 'Pull its Head Off'.
I stepped in and, long story short, had a National race pigeon in my shed.
Within a week, I had her paired up, in a nest box, and had driven into the city twice to get her and bring her home.
It can be done, if you are serious.
The trouble I have Muzza is that there are no longer lofts for them to go back into at their former homes so unless they decide to come back on their own I have no way of catching them, I've had another hen disappear today who was sitting eggs ๐Ÿ˜•๐Ÿ˜’
Murray

Trev wrote: โ†‘Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:05 pm
Andy wrote: โ†‘Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:56 am I agree Murray that you can keep birds in too long. When they are eventually let out all they want to do is fly. I havenโ€™t had much success in breaking old birds that have been shut in for a long time. Even with youngsters that I got from Louella that were kept in for a long time to make sure I had something out of them all disappeared when let out the first time.
I once had a Stichelbaut x Jansen hen from an old Dutch bloke who lived in Christchurch, NZ.
He had one that had had arrived in time to win the Old Bird National, 575 miles and quite a lot of money, but, the thing sat out on the roof, and didn't win.
Within a week, I had her paired up, in a nest box, and had driven into the city twice to get her and bring her home.
The trouble I have Muzza is that there are no longer lofts for them to go back into at their former homes so unless they decide to come back on their own I have no way of catching them, I've had another hen disappear today who was sitting eggs ๐Ÿ˜•๐Ÿ˜’
That's a problem, Trev.
I am not sure, did you say that the pigeons you are trying to home to your shed were flying out at their previous homes, or were they prisoners?
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.
Trev

Murray wrote: โ†‘Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:49 am
Trev wrote: โ†‘Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:05 pm

That's a problem, Trev.
I am not sure, did you say that the pigeons you are trying to home to your shed were flying out at their previous homes, or were they prisoners?
They have all been raced to their previous lofts Muzza, some as far as 450miles. I really did expect some of them to have worked back here by now, they have all had several days outside the loft in a basket so have had enough opportunity to see their surroundings. It does always make you wonder how a stray only needs to be in your loft minutes to imprint it on its brain ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ˜•
Murray

Sorry to hear that they aren't sticking, Trev. I know you are kind to your birds and the loft is a happy place, which is important.
I don't know why the pigeons are not staying, when, as you say, a stray needs a feed and one night on a perch to remain forever.
Got me beat. :(
Trev

Had one of the missing hens return and two others broken successfully so not all bad, I've also had the first of this years crop hatch over the weekend, I'm not sure exactly how many yet but there are certainly a few that haven't hatched although they do appear to have filled. Will update later in the week ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜€
George and Morgan

good news Trev it's good seeing the egg shell on the floor same here waiting on par of eggs hatching the pair have left the nest they are dark inside will open one to-morrow see what happen
Andy

Good news Trev. Good to hear youโ€™ve had one of the hens return and a couple more settled. I have had most of my first eggs that are going to hatch, hatch. I have had a few not hatch but have 12 youngsters rung and 3 more to ring tomorrow.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Murray

Andy wrote: โ†‘Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:21 pm Good news Trev. Good to hear youโ€™ve had one of the hens return and a couple more settled. I have had most of my first eggs that are going to hatch, hatch. I have had a few not hatch but have 12 youngsters rung and 3 more to ring tomorrow.
I agree, it's great that one of the hens has returned. and another couple settled.
It's a wonderful feeling when one who was lost comes back. :D
I hope you have a successful breeding season.