Most pairs on eggs

Talk about anything racing pigeon related here aslong as there isnt a section for it.
Trev

It will be two weeks this weekend since I paired my birds up, I have far too many birds and have pairs nesting all over the place, out of the 18 pairs I put together all but two pairs are now on down on eggs. On top of those I have 2 pairs nesting on perches, 2 pairs sharing 1 bowl on the floor 2 other pairs on the floor, 1 pair in the aviary and another couple of pairs still trying to find somewhere to nest. I converted and old rabbit hutch into 2 boxes last week which 1 pair has settled into and I am planning on putting another 3 boxes in this weekend. I really do need to get some distance on these birds and I definitely need to restrict how many pairs I breed from this year.
Andy

Good to hear most have laid Trev. They certainly will nest anywhere. Hopefully you will have a chance to test them a bit more this year.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Murray

We are all the same like that, we keep too many pigeons and breed too many off pairs that we really shouldn't.
I always end up with nest bowls in all the corners, behind the middle door....
Too soft, that's my problem. :D
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.
Trev

I put in 3 more nest boxes at the weekend which have already been taken by some of the spare cocks, all my original pairings have now laid and several of the spare pairs have too. I have several birds in a shed at our Mums from former Worthing club members Roy Olliver, Laurie Everett and Brian Doick that I am breeding a few rounds from I also have some here that I am hoping to break and give a few short races too. I let a couple of pairs out yesterday that are sitting eggs, 2 of the 4 definitely came but only 1 was here last night, he has turned up today but the other bird along with two others that I haven't managed to get paired up are missing today πŸ˜•πŸ˜– hopefully they will show up tomorrow 🀞🀞
Last edited by Trev on Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trev

Murray wrote: ↑Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:30 pm We are all the same like that, we keep too many pigeons and breed too many off pairs that we really shouldn't.
I always end up with nest bowls in all the corners, behind the middle door....
Too soft, that's my problem. :D
Definitely my problem too mate, anything is welcome in my loft lol πŸ‘πŸ˜‚
Andy

Trev wrote: ↑Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:47 pm I put in 3 more nest boxes at the weekend which have already been taken by some of the spare cocks, all my original pairings have now laid and several of the spare pairs have too. I have several birds in a shed at our Mums from former Worthing club members Roy Olliver, Laurie Everett and Brian Doick that I am breeding a few rounds from I also have some here that I am hoping to break and give a few short races too. I let a couple of pairs out yesterday that are sitting eggs, 2 of the 4 definitely came but only 1 was here last night, he has turned up today but the other bird along with two others that I haven't managed to get paired up are missing today πŸ˜•πŸ˜– hopefully they will show up tomorrow 🀞🀞
Sounds like your having a bit of trouble breaking those birds Trev. Hopefully they will turn up. So the one missing last night has turned up but the one that was there last night having been out is now missing? If that’s the case then hopefully the one that came in last night knows where it should be and with no other loft to go into will come back. Maybe even bring the other 2 with it if they are together. They won’t be far away if down Roy or Laurie’s from yours.
Trev

Unfortunately I now have 5 missing, the ones at Roy's are apparently quite happy sharing the wild bird seed that his wife puts out lol πŸ˜•πŸ˜‚ so it could be a while before they feel like coming back πŸ˜’
I also had a late bred yesterday that wasn't looking too happy, I also noticed that its beak didn't look right. On closer inspection this morning I realised that the top half of its beak had somehow been forced right down through the bottom half its beak making it impossible to eat and drink and very difficult to breath. I have managed to push the break back in place so hopefully it will be ok in a couple of days. I have seen this before many years ago but couldn't see then or now how it could happen without the bird suffering considerable damage else where πŸ€”πŸ€”
Andy

Hopefully they will come back in a couple of days. You’ll have to tell Carol to stop feeding the wild birds for a couple of days lol. Good that you managed to sort the beak out on the latebred. It is hard to think how it happened.
George and Morgan

hope it all works out ok Trev i have moved on 12 birds now still 6 spare hens as i want to bring in few more raced birds don't think i can keep any ybs this year
Murray

Trev wrote: ↑Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:05 pm Unfortunately I now have 5 missing, the ones at Roy's are apparently quite happy sharing the wild bird seed that his wife puts out lol πŸ˜•πŸ˜‚ so it could be a while before they feel like coming back πŸ˜’
I also had a late bred yesterday that wasn't looking too happy, I also noticed that its beak didn't look right. On closer inspection this morning I realised that the top half of its beak had somehow been forced right down through the bottom half its beak making it impossible to eat and drink and very difficult to breath. I have managed to push the break back in place so hopefully it will be ok in a couple of days. I have seen this before many years ago but couldn't see then or now how it could happen without the bird suffering considerable damage else where πŸ€”πŸ€”
It's hit a window.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.